650 V 1000 - spot the difference!

Chat about anything
Spyke
On the Road

650 V 1000 - spot the difference!

Post by Spyke »

So I'm told that a guy in the workshop at my local Ducati dealer has a UK-import rap! Yay, says me, 650 or 1000? Not sure, says he, how can you spot the difference?

Now the only really obvious difference I've noted is the positioning of the oil filler hole - if you imagine the clutch cover is a clock it's at 10.30ish for the 1000, but the 650 pics I've seen have it at about 1pm. Looking at http://www.motoclub-tingavert.it/t552581s.html shows that on the SV motor it only moved forwards in 2003, but was previously quite prominent, compared to the more discrete 1000 - by this I mean that on the SV it sticks out quite far from the face of the cover, not just a wee bit from the bevelled edge on the TL. I did search on here, but the only really relevant thread is http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... difference and it's closed already, I *think* the 650 gets 160 while the 1000 gets 180, is that about right? Anyway it was nice to see Alvins mentioned, that's where I fell in love with the Xtras when I found that the concept bike I thought I was sitting on actually had a price tag that was not exorbitant next to it! :thumbsup:

So, what's the difference, visually, between a 650 and 1000? And why would this strange beast have Suzuki on the cover, and Cagiva on the tank, my guess is he's replaced it from an SV?
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Re: 650 V 1000 - spot the difference!

Post by ozzraptor »

The casings are the give away and heads look a bit different ,and smaller rear tyre but i may be wrong. If it is suzuki on casing sounds like its had an engine out of an sv650 or could be just the covers have been swapped over. I thin hyosung uses pretty much the same motor in their 650 . They are a great motor, i wish i had kept my sv650 now :(
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

1000 has a white tachometer face, the 650 has a black tachometer face(mine is a 650 but had a 1000 instument panel and read 40km/h when it was doing 100 km/h), and the speedo sensor on the 1000 runs off the front sprocket and the 650 has it running off the rear caliper bolts.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Top tips guys, cheers! Did they actually have different rear wheel sizes, or just different tyre widths? :?
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

The 1000 has an oil cooler when the 650 has not. That's the easiest way to tell.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Hmm, thanks for that! I've poked around and it seems that some of them do and some of them don't, but if there is one it's high on a 650 and not in front of the filter like it is on the 1000:
4nt
On the Road

Post by 4nt »

Wow, I like the colour combo in the middle pic (black n white / red frame etc) is that someone's creation or were they available like this? Very nice!

Also does 1000 come with wider rear wheel and tyre as some other brands tend to do with bigger CC version?
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

That's been photoshopped.
Yeah the 1000 comes with a bigger tyre 180 instead of 160.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

650 and 1000 has different tank, seat, engine, rear tire, headlight surroundings, tachometer face and maybe some other differences i dont remember or havent noticed... Easiest to spot is front headlight fairing, I think. :revrev:
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !