Strange

Chat about anything
Red Mist
On the Road

Re: Strange

Post by Red Mist »

I don't particularly go around wheelying my bike intentionally, but have had the front wheel up a couple of times when cresting rises. I don't think that the Rap wheelies as easily as a lot of other bikes of similar power, maybe because Raps are lower and relatively longer.

I borrowed a mate's Speed Triple a bit back and was amazed how many times I had the front wheel in the air while travelling on roads that I knew and at less outright speed than on my Rap. Maybe it was the power delivery or just the fact I was sat higher. I also rode a well known road on a BMW F800ST a bit back. I was in a bit of a rush, but I was airborne on a couple of occasions where my Rap stays planted - even though I would probably be travelling faster.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

It's all a bit confusing - when my bike was the demonstator at the local dealer nearly everyone who took her out wheelied (or said they did) and the bike press at the time was saying what a 'great wheelie machine' the raptors were. I'm thinking it was mainly done in first or second 'off the line' though
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Maybe it's because the Raptor is moody and Italian, if you want it to do something it stubbornly refuses, if you stop trying it will gladly scare the c**p out of you :)
152/999
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

Miz wrote:Maybe it's because the Raptor is moody and Italian, if you want it to do something it stubbornly refuses, if you stop trying it will gladly scare the c**p out of you :)
:nod: Yup a true multi personality.Trouble is knowing which one it`s giving you.I love it :thumbsup:
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Just a thought, it might be an idea to check the basics...

What speed are you doing if you are in top gear and have 5k rpm on the clock?
152/999
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Post by VRaptorMark »

Miz wrote:Just a thought, it might be an idea to check the basics...

Dont know but I will look when I am out on it again hopefully tomorrow. What should it be standard??
Better to burn out than just fade away!!
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

VRaptorMark wrote:
Miz wrote:Just a thought, it might be an idea to check the basics...

Dont know but I will look when I am out on it again hopefully tomorrow. What should it be standard??

I'll tell you once I've double checked it myself, but these guys

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

are not too far off the mark, and if someone has fitted non-standard sprockets that may explain your problem..
152/999
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

The Xtra pulls between 75 and 80 at 5k, maybe one or two others will be along to confirm as well..
152/999
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

Checked mine today -

5000 rpm = 76mph
6000 rpm = 90mph
7000 rpm = 105mph
8000 rpm = 120mph

... a bit of a pattern there, and all on a private road of course. Hope it helps.
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
Araf
On the Road

Post by Araf »

74 on my Xtra, at 5k revs.

Do we need to go and count sprocket teeth now. :D

Thnking about it, is the speedo pickup from the chain, same as the TL? If that's the case, then it won't matter what the gearing is, as it will be reading from the chain speed, so who knows what speed the bike is doing...
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Araf wrote:74 on my Xtra, at 5k revs.

Do we need to go and count sprocket teeth now. :D

Thnking about it, is the speedo pickup from the chain, same as the TL? If that's the case, then it won't matter what the gearing is, as it will be reading from the chain speed, so who knows what speed the bike is doing...

Ah, good point, so it's either counting teeth or Mark needs to meet up with someone and check his speeds with them..
152/999
Mighty Mariner
On the Road

Post by Mighty Mariner »

I also find wheelies a little difficult except when cold engine with cold start engaged.
I think it means that the fuelling is a little lean when hot but super rich fuelling gives a bit more torque.
I have a power commander fitted and TRE and Kand N Filter and race cans but the PC has not been dynoed.
With some DYNO work torque can be dialled in at mid range and wheelie popping/chain snapping headstock bearing munching behaviour will be easy.
WOT in first gear makes the front clear the floor until gear change to second but not pointing skywards. :revrev:
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing