ABBA bent the gear selector shaft

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Treffynnon
On the Road

ABBA bent the gear selector shaft

Post by Treffynnon »

Argh! :angry: Just been cleaning the bike etc after a ride and went to put it back onto the ABBA stand. Seems it hit the gear lever and pushed it towards the ground, which in turn bent the selector shaft going into the engine casing!

I am guessing that I have to drain the engine oil to begin with. Any tips on repairing this? Also does anyone know where to get the requisite parts?
Treffynnon
On the Road

Re: ABBA bent the gear selector shaft

Post by Treffynnon »

Does anyone know if this is the same as a TLS or TLR part?
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

:(

As I recall the gearbox is from the TLR, but it may be easier if you extract the selector and check with a suzuki shop? fingers crossed it's not a very pricey item
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Treffynnon
On the Road

Post by Treffynnon »

I have been trying to get hold of abba for their comment on the whole affair but they are permanently engaged at the moment.

Looking at OEM parts the price is 144 euro for the Cagiva part, but Robinsons Foundry are asking £55 for the Suzuki bit. All of which is a bit expensive. Your idea of slapping it onto the parts table might be the best idea. Nearest Suzuki place is a fair few miles though.
Fausto
On the Road

Post by Fausto »

That's bad news Treffynnon. Sorry I can't help with the part info. I'm suprised about how it happened and will be rather nervous now when I next put it on the ABBA stand myself although I don't recall any clearance issues and I've been using the stand on bikes for several years.
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Can't recall clearance issues either but at least it makes us aware...the only thing i've done with the abba stand was not locate it properly on n/s, when I came to get it off it slipped and made a lovely scratch on the sprocket cover :doh:
Treffynnon
On the Road

Post by Treffynnon »

Whilst I am glad no one else has suffered this problem; why me? :P

I have heard back from abba and I have furnished them with some photos. :photo: So we'll see what they reckon about the possible causes etc.
Treffynnon
On the Road

Post by Treffynnon »

Just to let you all know that I have not been able to figure out what has caused this to happen. I sent about 20 photos over to abba and they were also stumped. The only thing we can both think of is that something must have been different about the gear lever as the stand had been used successfully before on a previous occasion. Abba have never had this happen before either as you guys can clearly attest to above.

But they have offered to help me with some of the cost of the repair to the motorcycle, which I think is just amazing and way above the call of duty. :woot: :thumbsup:

The bike will be back up on the stand once it is fixed. In fact it will probably be on the abba as I complete the repair!

Speaking of which I started a thread on TLZone asking about the difference between the two Suzuki part numbers. They really came through see http://www.tlzone.net/forums/suzuki-tl1 ... odels.html
Fausto
On the Road

Post by Fausto »

Great news about ABBA. That does seem jolly decent of them. Soon as I get some dry weather and spare time to coincide I'll stick mine up on the stand and see what may have happened if I'm able.

Good idea asking on TL zone but not sure how much help the answers are. 'Sam' appears to be talking about the drive sprocket shaft ?? Thought you'd bent the gear selector shaft ??

Just a thought but as it's not a heavy duty or fast spinning component any chance of straightening it? Once removed from the engine I'd think ?
Treffynnon
On the Road

Post by Treffynnon »

Fausto wrote:Good idea asking on TL zone but not sure how much help the answers are. 'Sam' appears to be talking about the drive sprocket shaft ?? Thought you'd bent the gear selector shaft ??
That is a good point actually. He has updated his post to include another picture and descriptions since I posted the link here and replied to his post. I thought I was looking at photos of the appropriate shafts.

Not sure about being able to straighten it. Local engineering shop be able to do it do you think? Usually with this stuff though once it has been bent it could make it more prone to failure or warp that could affect gear selection later down the line.
Fausto
On the Road

Post by Fausto »

I suppose it depends on how much a new one costs...

If it's frightening then I'd be inclined to show the damaged one to an engineer or 2 and get some opinions. How bent is it?
It doesn't actually have to do all that much after all. Just move through a 45 degree arc or whatever it would be.
Treffynnon
On the Road

Post by Treffynnon »

I am hoping for a good quality second hand one really.
Treffynnon
On the Road

Post by Treffynnon »

I have ordered a TLR one from a local wrecker on ebay so we will see how we go.

Still really chuffed with the response from abba. I don't think I have ever had such a good experience with a company over something like this.
Treffynnon
On the Road

Post by Treffynnon »

Whilst the TLR shaft fits up nicely it took me a while to get the gear shift cover off. Had to stick a couple of socket extensions through from the other side of the bike and give the cover a whack with hammer that way. Getting everything apart has been a PITA as nothing was put together with any anti-seize.

The most irritating part of the whole ordeal was that I think I was supplied the wrong oil seal and it promptly crapped itself as I tried to fit it to the gear shift cover. I now have a genuine Suzuki part on the way rather than the aftermarket from Wemoto I got last time. The aftermarket looked different than the original, but it is hard to tell as I have had to cut it out with stanley knife as it is/was so well fused to the casing.