Rough Running in Wet

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
RaptorJo
On the Road

Rough Running in Wet

Post by RaptorJo »

Hiya, been out today, damp roads and drizzle, bike ran fine..... came back in rain, bike ran ok, then started surging, then sounded different..... had to hold the revs around 4000rpm to prevent it cutting out managed to get it home...... hot air/fumes were still coming out of both exhausts so I'm assuming that means its still running on two cyclinders :? Have tried it again 20mins later..bike in shed but still wet... still same problem. Two hours later tried starting it several times but it won't hold its tickover .....oh and it was doing a bit of backfiring on the way home.
Any ideas/advice greatly recieved......thanks in advance
Last edited by RaptorJo 14 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: Rough Running in Wet

Post by shebee »

Ahhh... dodgy front plug lead is a favourite, liberal amounts of WD40 or spray of choice might help. also prone to water in fuel if the little drain hole in the filler is blocked?
Twisted Tequila Sister
forza
On the Road

Post by forza »

shebee wrote:Ahhh... dodgy front plug lead is a favourite, liberal amounts of WD40 or spray of choice might help. also prone to water in fuel if the little drain hole in the filler is blocked?
I agree with shebee, I haven't had the front plug problem (although it sounds favourite) but I have had the water in the fuel, had to clear the hole and drain the tank to fix it.
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

If I need new leads, whats best, have I got to make them up myself or can anyone tell me where I can get them complete..... giving all info to OH as we're still both learning stuff, so I'd rather shout at him if it goes wrong lol

*Thinking of changing leads, caps & sparks has anyone got any pictures or links etc before we start doing this..... thanks in advance

Decided to take the chicken way out and get a mechanic to do it....so all should be good in a few weeks.
Ken
On the Road

Post by Ken »

JO51 wrote:Hiya, been out today, damp roads and drizzle, bike ran fine..... came back in rain, bike ran ok, then started surging, then sounded different..... had to hold the revs around 4000rpm to prevent it cutting out managed to get it home...... hot air/fumes were still coming out of both exhausts so I'm assuming that means its still running on two cyclinders :? Have tried it again 20mins later..bike in shed but still wet... still same problem. Two hours later tried starting it several times but it won't hold its tickover .....oh and it was doing a bit of backfiring on the way home.
Any ideas/advice greatly recieved......thanks in advance
Recently found my raptor running rough & jerking after got wet in rain & washing it. Feel like the fuel supply is not consistent. Or something wrong with the spark plug.

I have checked the fuel tank drain is working fine & can't find water in fuel after drained out. Next thing is the check the spark plugs & leads.

It sounds stupid but, anyone can tell me what is spark plug lead?

ken
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

had the just the plugs changed on mine, it was arching in the cap, as there was that much crap in there..all good at the mo, apart from needing new chain and sprockets....don't buy triple S chains they are crap......... The leads are the HT leads which go from the spark plug to the coils...the rubber can start breaking down and damp getting in.... but 9/10 its the front spark plug where the problem lies.
Ken
On the Road

Post by Ken »

JO51 wrote:had the just the plugs changed on mine, it was arching in the cap, as there was that much crap in there..all good at the mo, apart from needing new chain and sprockets....don't buy triple S chains they are crap......... The leads are the HT leads which go from the spark plug to the coils...the rubber can start breaking down and damp getting in.... but 9/10 its the front spark plug where the problem lies.
Thanks. Will check both leads & plugs of mine. Previously I thought it was fuel injectors. I took out & clean it with injector cleaner (a machine with green chemical liquid) but the problem still there. Hope to find the problem soon.

ken
craigus
On the Road

Post by craigus »

had the same problem with mine a couple of years back, found out it was the water spray from the front wheel getting into the front spark plug so I made a simple rubber sleeve to cover the front plug, never had the problem since.
Ken
On the Road

Post by Ken »

craigus wrote:had the same problem with mine a couple of years back, found out it was the water spray from the front wheel getting into the front spark plug so I made a simple rubber sleeve to cover the front plug, never had the problem since.
Ya. Good idea. Will make a rubber sleeve for mine as well. Thanks.