Newbie round

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
mjsizemore

Newbie round

Post by mjsizemore »

Hello, and drinks to all! Glad to hear that the forum has found new life.
I recently bought this Raptor 1000 on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... %3AIT&rd=1
There are so few of these bikes in the U.S. that I had never seen on in person before. I flew out to Los Angeles and rode it the 2000 miles back to Springfield, Illinois following the route of old Route 66. No problems with the bike except that the steering head bolt vibrated out at one point - - hadn't figured out what that clunky feeling on braking was up to that point. Luckily, the bolt was just resting there alongside the ignition key and hadn't fallen off. Don't know where I would've found a replacement part in the middle of nowhere, New Mexico. Also, the two fasteners on one side of the front fender vibrated out allowing the front edge of the fender to rub against the tire and melting a gouge into the fender.
The speedo and odo register in kilometers which requires a bit of mental mathematics here. Are the instruments metric in the UK?
I fitted a small JC Whitney windscreen for the trip, but would like to find something more Raptor-like. Will be planning to fit new sprockets and chain on the advice of the forum, as the bike now has about 10,000 kilometers on it. Looking forward to thoroughly going through the bike now that I have it home. Will probably be generating a number of questions as I sort through it.
Mike Sizemore
Springfield, Illinois USA
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

:lol: Welcome to the asylum!

Hope it is all you are expecting, ask away ...

Ohh a tequila sunrise here please - I need the vitamins this morning :oops:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Eventful first ride Mike!!!

Welcome to grin city :mrgreen: large glass of medium red would go down well just now Cheers!
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Demonbaker
On the Road

Post by Demonbaker »

Welcome Mike. Large Cappuccino please
JimBo
On the Road

Post by JimBo »

Hi Mike, and welcome. I'll have a pint of Springfield Porter please 8) .

I bought my Raptor 1000 on ebay last year and got a real bargain. I have enjoyed every minute of owning it. Your face muscles will be fatigued from all the smiling :D .

I don't know much about motorcycles, but you will get plenty of advice from the members here.

Happy riding. Jim.
So many motorcycles, so little money!