Help! with a diagnosis needed.

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
oogachaka
On the Road

Help! with a diagnosis needed.

Post by oogachaka »

Hi all

As some of you may know since may this year the raptor has been running badly. I am now at my wits end with it and its crunch time. Its been to my mechanic who owns a TL1000S and is a top bloke, but he is stumpt too.

The symptoms are: from cold start up till aprox 84 degrees it kangaroos and goes down intimitantly on one cylinder unless you keep the revs above 4k. After 84 degrees it seems to run ok unless the temp drops again.

So far we have tried: new thermostat, engine strip down and checked over, all was fine and complete service. My mechanic took it to have a diagnostics test and was told it needed remapping as it was all over the shot. So that was done a week ago he found a dodgy wire on the power commander and a slight leak from one of the cans but mended them and so say set up the bike as it should be.

Well you guessed it no change.....ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Any ideas what it could be? I know its hard without seeing/hearing it but i'd really appreciate your thoughts.

I'm fast running out of time patience and money but would so love to get him running properly again!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Having just taken a (borrowed) Power commander off as it made the bike rough at low temps I make a guess that it might be a problem with the power commander itself - have you tried it without the PC on?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
oogachaka
On the Road

Post by oogachaka »

Yep, tried that as well..... just made it run slightly flatter but no change to the kangarooing etc
wayne
On the Road

misfiring Raptor

Post by wayne »

It's not the water in the petrol tank problem again is it ? They seem prone to it, might be worth draining your tank even if just to eliminate it...
oogachaka
On the Road

Post by oogachaka »

Oh forgot to add that as one of the things i had tried already. It had a complete drain and strip down and cleaned through, the pipe is not blocked and no water was found.

Thanks anyway.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I'll ask raptordoc when I get a chance (or at least when he answer's his phone)

It might also be worth your while asking :-

Two Wheel Technics
Telephone: 01202 814614
Three Legged Cross, Wimborne, Dorset, BH21 6SZ

or
Baines Racing
Service & Technical 01327 858510
Parts 01327 858885
Silverstone Circuit, Northants, NN12 8GX
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>