Raptor stalling

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
numanoid
On the Road

Raptor stalling

Post by numanoid »

Hi guys

I got my raptor on tuesday. I like it but it keeps stalling. If I ride with the choke on it doesnt stall (well hasnt yet anyway). Does it just take ages to warm up or have I got a problem? Riding with the choke on is not good.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this

Luke
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

It does take ages to warm up... I leave it to warm until it reaches 35 on the temp guage before I ride off and dont take the choke off until it gets to above 65. HTH

I also had a problem with it stalling at roundabouts and lights when I first got it, I think its a 'feature' of the injection and that there is a re-map that fixes it... I sorted mine by stoping my habit of almost coasting to the roundabout (watching for a gap) and then giving it a handfull. :oops:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

nod nod what Shebee said

The advice to me when i first bought her was to let her warm up to 60 degrees, so being rather impatient I warm her up to 35-40 (depends how late I am) push the choke (not actually a choke I was told but WTF) back about half way (about 1500 revs) and then push it back to the stop when fully warm. It's a V twin thang :wink:

(errm don't tell raptordoc :roll: - I'll get done for cruelty to Raptors)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
numanoid
On the Road

Post by numanoid »

cheers guys. Im getting the hang of it now
ozzy
On the Road

Post by ozzy »

same here,i start the rap b4 i get my boots,leathers,helmet on,gives it a few mins headstart.usually find that the average running temp is about 80 degrees,so i let it get there first.its good 4 any machine to reach it correct running temp b4 putting stresses on them.also it gives you time to stand back and ADMIRE YOUR RAPTOR
Raptordoc
On the Road

stalling

Post by Raptordoc »

it's not a choke as we know it jim! all the 'choke' does infact is actuate a small lever that opens the throttle valves- just like you do when you open the throttle.make sure it idles nicely when its at 82 deg and wind the idle screw up or down as required.
hebs

Post by hebs »

I don't have the problem of stalling when cold, i was told to turn the choke off ASAP and let it warm up on tickover. It's supposed to 'learn' to not need it aparently, don't know if this is just a load of twaddle but i was told by a mechanic.
My problem is when its warm and i turn it off then go to atart it again, it just won't start. Not sure what it is, a plug problem maybe?
ayuluv
On the Road

Post by ayuluv »

ok.. here is my experience...
i did haf dis type of prob after i juz got my rappy...
nid a choke to start to warm up...
but after a trip up north to melaka... i travel at a constant spd
of 160-180 km/h.. but still got some whackin involve...
after dat when i return home..
the bike starts like a normal honda bike.. n dis is true....
one ting i can tink of is the carbon n the spark plug....
a pity.. after one mnth.. the bike is back to dat stage....

but one note.. last time b4 i fix on the tre.. there is alot backfire...
now after the tre.. feels more smooth... but juz a while i fix on the
akra... its not dat smooth.. a weird pickup feelin... mayb it nids a
remap... waitin for the pcII to come...
:wink:
ozzy
On the Road

Post by ozzy »

it is the nature of big V twins.every engine has a correct engine running temp.the raptor is around 82 degrees.after reaching that temp there should be no problem if the bike is well maintained and serviced.my friends ducati is the same,from cold it stalls too.