tyre choice

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
Shlockengronk
On the Road

tyre choice

Post by Shlockengronk »

just wondering what hoops 650 people use, in particular on the track....mike are you there , or do you use slicks?
Life starts at 45.......................degrees
Mike Edwards
On the Road

Re: tyre choice

Post by Mike Edwards »

Shlockengronk wrote:55 years agojust wondering what hoops 650 people use, in particular on the track....mike are you there , or do you use slicks?
If it's a dry track I used Metzeler Rennsports or the Pirelli equivalent. Will be trying a Metzeler RaceTech front this year (only because they don't doa 160 rear yet). Bear in mind that on a cold track they can tear up a bit.

For the cold or damp I use Dunlop D207GPs. They are a pretty good all round tyre. The only reason that I don't use them in the dry is that they move around a little more than the Metzelers so you lose a little bit of feel.

Wouldn't bother with slicks if I was you. It's hard enough to get the Metzelers up to temperature.

If you wanted something for all weathers and the road also then Avon do a road legal wet which is as sticky as a very sticky thing. Won't last for more than a thousand miles or so but...

Definitely wouldn't use the Rennsports on the road.. The Dunlops would be a bit flighty so probably would go for Dunlop D207RRs if I wanted something for both.
Shlockengronk
On the Road

Post by Shlockengronk »

:) thanks i got 208s at the moment but i got a 1000 woops wrong section to mention that
Life starts at 45.......................degrees
Reaper996
On the Road

Post by Reaper996 »

I have a 160 pilot power on my bike. No problem in dry and wet situations. :wink: :wink:
Cavia
On the Road

Post by Cavia »

Not that I'm a track expert or something, I have pilot powers on my 1000 rap.
very nice on road and track
I'm happy with them but they are the only ones I have had on her besides the standard fitted tires (bt 56?) so I have no comparisation.
It seems to be the favourite track tyre for lots of people that do track days and use their bike on the road

Cheers
No bike is ever finished!
Amanda M
On the Road

Post by Amanda M »

Cavia wrote:55 years agoNot that I'm a track expert or something, I have pilot powers on my 1000 rap.
very nice on road and track
I'm happy with them but they are the only ones I have had on her besides the standard fitted tires (bt 56?) so I have no comparisation.
It seems to be the favourite track tyre for lots of people that do track days and use their bike on the road

Cheers
Pilot powers on mine too. Cracking tyres. :)
philattersall
On the Road

Post by philattersall »

i have contiroad attacks

don't waste your money! worse tyres ever

i bought them because i keep hearing that a good 'road' tyre is the way to go. They last quite a while. warm up quicker than racy racy tyres. though of course lacking in the outter limits of grip.

this may indeed be the case. just not with the Road Attacks. They take a day and an age to warm up. and even then......