Sourcing parts for Raptor rebuild

Chat about anything
rasputin

Sourcing parts for Raptor rebuild

Post by rasputin »

Hi Folks

I'm trying to source parts for a Raptor 1000 that I'm in the process of buying. Nice bike, but it's been stood in a garage for a long while & needs some attention. The exhaust is badly corroded & the silvering's gone on the mirrors, amongst lots of other little things.

I like the idea of having a "cult" bike & so far it's been a bit of an adventure finding bits that may fit, but I'm hoping a lot of you may already have a few pointers to sites that may be able to help.

I'm looking for grabrails as I occasionally have a passenger who says she wants a grab rail.

M&P had part numbers for Ventura's grabrails for the V-Raptor, but there was no part number for the naked Raptor, and the L-brackets weren't the same part as the V-Raptor.

NWS used to do grabrails, but have sold out & they tell me that there are no plans to make any more unless I can find around 10 people who need them. Is anyone else interested in getting a grabrail for the Raptor ?

I have a shopping list - I asked around at the Birmingham Bike Show & could find a couple of bits, but others are looking very difficult to source.

Micron were actually interested in producing a full system for the Raptor, but said they needed an idea of how many people were interested before they went any further. If you have a Raptor, it may be worth contacting Micron to let them know you're interested & find out if they're serious (http://www.micronexhausts.com).

My shopping list :

1) Exhaust downpipe - I can get an OE part from Three Cross, but I'll need to get it coated so it doesn't corrode too badly in normal use & I've talked to a coating firm already. Ideally I'm looking for a stainless steel part. Does anyone know of any replacement downpipes, or has experience of another good coating service ?

2) Mirrors - looking for a stylish carbon-style pair. Any recommendations ?

3) Grabrails - anyone got any experience of fitting Ventura parts to a naked Raptor 1000, or knows where to get a set ? If you want a set, we may be able to get NWS to make one if there's enough interest.

4) Fairing lowers/fender extenders - to keep the shite off the front of the bike. & reduce the corrosion. Anyone got any recommendations ?

5) Flyscreens/deflectors - I know it's a naked bike, but does anyone have any good recommendations for screens that may fit ?

I'm looking forward to owning & riding this bike tremendously. As I said, it's been kind of an adventure already, but I'm hoping that it'll live up to expectations.
Runs With Scissors
On the Road

Post by Runs With Scissors »

Aren't the standard headers (the whole system even) made of stainless steel?
I'm sure mine are, but the headers are not a grade that is nice and shiny. Check it out. I've seen some that looked rusty but it was just road grime & crap which hadn't been cleaned off in a while.

I have a Ventura system for my Nekkid Rap. The brackets seem to be the same for the V-Raptor & the Naked. The only note was that the seat cowl needs to be removed on the V.
Check their website www.ventura-bike.co.nz

Good luck & Welcome to the asylum :D
If you aren't living on the edge you are taking up too much room.
Cheesy Grin

Post by Cheesy Grin »

I have an almost new pair of high mount titanium cans for sale if you're interested. Look very trick and really set your bike apart.

Looking for £200 (cost me twice that 2 months ago).

Also have a pair of black DPM (De Pretto Moto) "Sport" mirrors with Cagiva threads and adaptors. Think the website is deprettomoto.de

Cost me £160, yours for £75.

PM me if you'd like to discuss.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Welcome to the asylum Rasputin 8)

I have a ventura rack/grab rail on my nekid and it bolted straight on fine, good luck with your quest ... you can lookforward to HUGE GRIns in the near future :)
wayne
On the Road

Post by wayne »

Hi Rasputin,
a couple of websites you might find interesting...
www.raptormania.it Its Italian but still worth a look ( go to links aswell)
www.bikepics.com There's some raptors on there aswell.
wayne
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

1/ Ventura Rack and grab rail - check
2/ NWS rear hugger - check
3/ Lots of WD40
4/ Scottoil 365 for winter
5/ Silicone spray
6/ fit scottoiler
7/ Givi flyscreen keeps the bugs and the worst of the wind off, standard round headlight fitting
8/ Am looking into a fender extenda but not found one yet - however my freindly fibreglass fabricator may just be able to contsruct one we shall see......
9/ somewhere I've seen a pic of a TL1000 belly pan attached to a Raptor
10/ To reduce corrosion - ride it :D - best corrosion reducer there is :lol:

Oh and welcome to the raptor bit :twisted: - You gettin the beers in then ??
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
wayne
On the Road

Post by wayne »

I got my bellypan from forza-italia in GRP with fittng kit. It looks sh*t hot! Forza also do c/fibre parts for raptors. www.forza-italia.co.uk
wayne
rasputin

Post by rasputin »

Thanks for the tips - I'd already looked at Forza's site, which no longer seems to offer accessories for Cagiva machines (the Cagiva logo is there, but you can't click on it). I'll give them a call during the week to see what they do.

I'll try the Ventura kit - I tried M&P but they only had the L Brackets listed (two different part numbers for the V-Raptor and the Raptor), and said that you couldn't fit a Ventura grabrail to the Raptor brackets.

Do you know which Givi screen you have ? Does it affect the handling at all ?

As I'm based in the Isle of Man, it's not so easy to find the right parts (I can't pop down to the showroom to see if they fit), but at least I'll have the TT course to play on if all goes well with the rebuild. Thanks for all your help.
rasputin

Post by rasputin »

Spoke to Forza during the week - pictures of the bellypan are on the way. Thanks for the info !
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

They do say that about the rail but I decided to take the chance and it does fit -
Call AMC 01264 353190, I got mine from them and they'll no doubt have the part number - or they'll be able to post one to you. They might even remember which screen they put on mine - it might be a motrax I spose :oops: - or I'll try to remember to pop in and ask 'em tomorrow
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
rasputin

Post by rasputin »

Got a nice mail from Bonnie Wheeler at Motohaus, listing the parts for the Ventura rack/grab rail :

W30-C003/B L-brackets £69.99
W30-GH12/18/B Grab Rail £18.99

Thanks for the help - I'd be interested to know which screen you got.
hebs

Post by hebs »

[quote="rasputin"]Thanks for the tips - I'd already looked at Forza's site, which no longer seems to offer accessories for Cagiva machines (the Cagiva logo is there, but you can't click on it). I'll give them a call during the week to see what they do.

You can now click on it and get a list of stuff for the raptor, i just noticed last night and thought peeps might want a skeet. My apoligies if i'm a bit behind and you noticed ages ago.