Raptor 1000 project

Chat about anything
Sheepracer
On the Road

Raptor 1000 project

Post by Sheepracer »

Well not being content with a mint low mile V raptor, I have gone and bought JimBo's raptor. Took delivery on Tuesday and thank you JimBo it's better than I expected. He also threw in the Nitron shock, two sachs shocks, spare forks, beowulf exhausts spare seat plastics etc etc. Managed to go through the bike today and got her started up after a new battery and some fresh petrol. Seat has gone off to be re-trimmed and new tyres on order. I'll update you all with some pics etc as it's now down to just frame and engine whilst the rest is refreshed. Once it's finished I'll post the spares not needed up here FREE OF CHARGE as JimBo chucked them all in with the bike.

Thanks again

If anyone has a spare radiator they need to sell please let me know as that is the only thing that is shot and needs replacing.
nickst4
On the Road

Raptor 1000 project

Post by nickst4 »

Congrats on undertaking the preservation of our Cagiva heritage! You ought to be able to get a grant for it. :nod:
JimBo
On the Road

Raptor 1000 project

Post by JimBo »

I'm so glad it's gone to someone who will give it some TLC and appreciate what fantastic machines these bikes are.
When I was riding in earnest it always surprised, and sometimes shocked, sportsbike riders when I passed them on the outside of a curve. Magic.
Keep us updated with the restoration SR, and include some pics.
So many motorcycles, so little money!
andybaggies
On the Road

Raptor 1000 project

Post by andybaggies »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:ride:
Sheepracer
On the Road

Raptor 1000 project

Post by Sheepracer »

Well quick update,
Rubbed down and high temp painted downpipes and fitted along with cans (need to touch up the scratches). Removed the green and white decals and used sticky stuff remover to remove the residue. Then autoglym polished the tank and mudguard and they come out so good I am not going to repaint them. Fitted a TRE. removed old chrome handlebars ready for a pair of black Renthal ones once they arrive. Painted the headlight housing and ring black to see how it looked- much better, however ordered a new full LED unit to replace and improve lighting. All the fluids been dropped and replaced. Forks been stripped and rebuilt with 15w oil, stanchions were immaculate. Just the brake fluid to replace and tyres and then fit the seat which is being upholstered by Chaos customs and It'll be ready for an MOT.
Attachments
rap3.jpg
rap5.jpg
rap6.jpg
Sheepracer
On the Road

Raptor 1000 project

Post by Sheepracer »

More pics
Attachments
rap1.jpg
rap2.jpg
rap4.jpg
JimBo
On the Road

Raptor 1000 project

Post by JimBo »

Brilliant.👍🏻
nickst4
On the Road

Raptor 1000 project

Post by nickst4 »

Busy, busy! :thumbsup:

Am I right in thinking that the Timing Retard Eliminator is only helpful when extracting the last ounce of power from the motor through the gears? Have you had experience of fitting one before?
Sheepracer
On the Road

Raptor 1000 project

Post by Sheepracer »

nickst4 wrote: 1 year ago Busy, busy! :thumbsup:

Am I right in thinking that the Timing Retard Eliminator is only helpful when extracting the last ounce of power from the motor through the gears? Have you had experience of fitting one before?
Apparently all Suzuki engines were detuned in 1st three gears during late 90's to mid 00's. The TRE just plugs in and removes the limitations set at the factory. I'll let you know how much higher the front wheel goes up lol! :shock:
Sheepracer
On the Road

Raptor 1000 project

Post by Sheepracer »

Seat re-trimmed today and is amazing. Kept it nice and subtle with only a little Italian flag on the rear. Will look mint on once the bike is finished.
Attachments
F7C7BCD0-B3E0-4B06-B6F7-52B55CF4A204.jpeg
nickst4
On the Road

Raptor 1000 project

Post by nickst4 »

Looks very neat! Did you get it refoamed or just covered? A bit more height would be good unless your lower appendages are somewhat short! :wink:
JimBo
On the Road

Raptor 1000 project

Post by JimBo »

Very smart Chris.👍🏻
Although the standard seat height is "low" I never found it uncomfortable but my poor old knees may complain nowadays!
I always felt I was sitting in the Raptor, as opposed to on other bikes, and I'm sure that adds to the agility of these brilliant bikes.
Looking forward to more updates.
Sheepracer
On the Road

Raptor 1000 project

Post by Sheepracer »

Just recovered- and cheap at £130, The standard seat is uber comfy- did 3000 miles in 10 days around Spain on my 1st Raptor with no issues. Being short in the leg no need to raise it at all. Definitely sit in the Raptor JimBo and makes it easier to ride. Out on the V Rap yesterday with my mate behind on his 1290 super duke and I had to pull over and wait as I lost him in the Llangadog Roads (ones you see on Top Gear testing) He was making all the excuses of his front end sliding etc!!
Sheepracer
On the Road

Raptor 1000 project

Post by Sheepracer »

Just the grips, brake fluid change and MOT she's all done.
Attachments
rap2.jpg
rap 1.jpg
JimBo
On the Road

Raptor 1000 project

Post by JimBo »

:pilot: