Pants

Chat about anything
raptor996
On the Road

Pants

Post by raptor996 »

So I was following a car on a straight bit of B road ,one I use every day. I had time to nip pass it before the 30limit , may be I was too enthusiastic & didn't need to change down a gear. It resulted in a underwear changing moment tank slapper. :woot: Steering damper needed I think.
andybaggies
On the Road

Re: Pants

Post by andybaggies »

Oo-eer!! :shock: !! they're just not any fun at all but it's good to hear you stayed upright. But they don't half put the be jabers up you & I do know where you're coming from mind as I suffered a terminal one when just bimbling along.

One thing I subsequently found on mine was the forks had reduced travel due to the preload adjusters turned upside down & the damper rods being screwed right in.

Btw did you get past the car? but surely there's more than enough grunt to never have to change down

Andy B
raptor996
On the Road

Post by raptor996 »

Yes loads of grunt & there was no need to change down , I stayed on but that was just luck I think, I was doing over 80 when i got it back, God knows what car driver thought! .my bike has a falco rear shock & Hagon fork springs.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

oooh eeek eerrrrr, glad you stayed upright. :revrev:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Out of interest, what tyres are you running and how far had you travelled before the you overtook the car?

Could be down to cold tyres
152/999
raptor996
On the Road

Post by raptor996 »

I have a well worn set of maxxis sports on . Never had any trouble with them . Thinking about it again it's more likely down to the geometry of the bike. The falco rear shock lifts the back up a bit ,that then makes the steering head a steeper angle & maybe a little more twitchy . I'm no expert.
bazzywazz
On the Road

Post by bazzywazz »

I've got the falco shock AND jackup plates , the rear is so high I had to put a dent in the exhaust pipe to clear the chain. No wobbles at all. I think somethings wrong with your bike, check the head and wheel bearings for play.
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

raptor996 wrote:55 years agoI have a well worn set of maxxis sports on . Never had any trouble with them . Thinking about it again it's more likely down to the geometry of the bike. The falco rear shock lifts the back up a bit ,that then makes the steering head a steeper angle & maybe a little more twitchy . I'm no expert.
Having used Maxxis in the past, the performance falls off a cliff when they wear down..

Your choice, but I'd be looking for new tyres before changing anything else.

If you don't believe me, try taking your front wheel out and reversing it, take the bike for a slow test ride, tried it on the Xtra and it was squirming all over the road..
152/999
raptor996
On the Road

Post by raptor996 »

New tyres are next on the to do list when funds permit. You may be right Miz , their quite worn now ,front & back .