Yo! From a newbie in Wilts

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Evening all – Barman! a pint of mild & ten straws.

A bit of a story but bear with me. I’ve being a 1000 V-Raptor (W reg) owner for quite a few years but for the last 7 or 8 I’ve had it SORN. Why? well, initially she tank slapped me off which broke my collar bone and it wasn’t as though I was dicking about. Just short shifting on a cold engine on me way to work. :shock:

It didn’t deter me too much mind so I fitted a steering damper & all was jolly for a couple of thousand more during which it saved me from another wobbler. However during an MOT pre check I realised the damper sat lower than the curve in the bottom yoke so could have fouled the mudguard. And at that point I sort of lost interest as I just didn’t fancy riding without it. :(

I’m now going to be back on bikes due to an office relocate, the centre of Bath I ask you, so I’m looking to swap out the old girl. And I was wondering what sort of price I could be expecting, either part-ex or private? She does still have the scars from the slapper with cosmetic damage to the off side tank, seat & indicator pod. Nothing massive but obviously unsightly & she still runs well and is in pretty good 10k condition otherwise.

And if the truth be known I’d rather sell direct to an enthusiast at perhaps a lower price than part-ex only for it to go into the trade to be sold the same enthusiast with 20% added on top. Hence this post.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Welcome! Put up some photos so we can see the damage, what colour is it? I am guessing it will need a new battery at the least after sitting for that long . Snappy how about a new one, its local to you? Xx

Did you put an insurance claim in so is it a cat C or anything?

Sent from my iPad using Technical magic
Twisted Tequila Sister
andybaggies
On the Road

Re: Yo! From a newbie in Wilts

Post by andybaggies »

Shebee, it's red - is there any other colour ? 8) ?

I was only TPF&T, so I never involved the insurance guys, and as I say the damage was cosmetic with only the rear brake pedal needing replacement.

You're correct regarding the battery mind. I fitted a new one at a couple of days ago & she fired up 3rd go :)

I will put some photos up soon but suspect this might have to wait until the weekend.
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Why don't you just keep the Raptor? You won't get much for it being that old with damage so you might as well fix it up and use it. Have you drained the tank and put in fresh fuel plus given it a service as it will need it.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

10k ? :shock: only just run-in

yeh short shifting on a cold engine will do that, fix her up and get a few miles on her -warm her up properly first
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

norrie wrote:55 years agoWhy don't you just keep the Raptor? You won't get much for it being that old with damage so you might as well fix it up and use it. Have you drained the tank and put in fresh fuel plus given it a service as it will need it.
Norrie, will flush the tank & give her fresh oil & filters in due course but at the weekend I just wanted to check she’d fire up & only ran the engine for a couple of mins or so.

I must admit I have thought of using her but when looking at the practicalities it doesn’t seem as inviting as it first seems.

The commute will be a 50 mile roundtrip so around 1000 a month which equates to 2 tyres and a service every 3. Also it’ll be at least 2 refills a week, a real bind on a commute, plus the mpg itself isn’t the best. Neither is the weather protection on the motorway.
A fair portion of the commute is urban snarl which I know the raptor can do but not as easily as say a big soft manoeuvrable trialie. Manhole covers & diesel strewn roundabouts on a wet November evening rush hour anyone?

But the deciding factor for me is still the fear of another tank slapper. Even trying to cure the possible causes e.g. less snappy/racey tyres, better oil/springs in the forks etc wouldn’t entirely remove that thought.
snapdragon wrote:55 years ago yeh short shifting on a cold engine will do that, fix her up and get a few miles on her -warm her up properly first

Snappy, how can short shifting cause a slapper?

So I've already sort of accepted the financial hit and, as mentioned, I’d rather the hit is given by an enthusiast than a bunch of dealers.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

andybaggies wrote:55 years ago
norrie wrote:55 years agoWhy don't you just keep the Raptor? You won't get much for it being that old with damage so you might as well fix it up and use it. Have you drained the tank and put in fresh fuel plus given it a service as it will need it.
Norrie, will flush the tank & give her fresh oil & filters in due course but at the weekend I just wanted to check she’d fire up & only ran the engine for a couple of mins or so.

I must admit I have thought of using her but when looking at the practicalities it doesn’t seem as inviting as it first seems.

The commute will be a 50 mile roundtrip so around 1000 a month which equates to 2 tyres and a service every 3. Also it’ll be at least 2 refills a week, a real bind on a commute, plus the mpg itself isn’t the best. Neither is the weather protection on the motorway.
A fair portion of the commute is urban snarl which I know the raptor can do but not as easily as say a big soft manoeuvrable trialie. Manhole covers & diesel strewn roundabouts on a wet November evening rush hour anyone?

But the deciding factor for me is still the fear of another tank slapper. Even trying to cure the possible causes e.g. less snappy/racey tyres, better oil/springs in the forks etc wouldn’t entirely remove that thought.
snapdragon wrote:55 years ago yeh short shifting on a cold engine will do that, fix her up and get a few miles on her -warm her up properly first

Snappy, how can short shifting cause a slapper?

So I've already sort of accepted the financial hit and, as mentioned, I’d rather the hit is given by an enthusiast than a bunch of dealers.
just that gap with a cold engine imho, I had one at low speed (cold engine) which totally phased me, but that's what I put it down to - but then that was 50k miles ago, I guess I didn't blame the bike so it didn't frighten me.
I sympathise with your problem, Bath is an arse and a half at the best of times ime
SnappY
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

snapdragon wrote:55 years ago just that gap with a cold engine imho, I had one at low speed (cold engine) which totally phased me, but that's what I put it down to - but then that was 50k miles ago, I guess I didn't blame the bike so it didn't frighten me.
I sympathise with your problem, Bath is an arse and a half at the best of times ime
Ah, I see what you mean. Had never thought of that. Mine was at around 60 and when the back end came round, it caught and spat me upwards in a high side. I ended up on the other side of the road and there but by the grace didn't slide under any cars. And just to top things off I was wearing a 1 month old absolutely georgeous Kushitani leather jacket that I had to watch them cut off me. No, no, no :angry:

I thought other factors may have been the Dunlop SportMaxs, race oriented natch, and the fact I'm not the heaviest geezer in the world so not too much weight over the front.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Here some photos - reduced in size but hopefully will show enough detail.
P1010057 (640x407).jpg
P1010057 (640x407).jpg (134.33 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
P1010058 (409x640).jpg
P1010058 (409x640).jpg (203.73 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
P1010059 (640x593).jpg
P1010059 (640x593).jpg (235.07 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

The tls when first introduced was well known for tank slappers so suzuki then fitted steering dampers. Also the rotary damper rear shock was a big problem with the tl. Perhaps there were other factors in regards to your tank slapper, shocks ? tyres? suspension setup . I am not sure that one one thing alone could cause a tank slapper,there would need to be series of events i guess?
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

andybaggies wrote:55 years ago I thought other factors may have been the Dunlop SportMaxs, race oriented natch, and the fact I'm not the heaviest geezer in the world so not too much weight over the front.
I never found Dunlops suited the Raptor, the one time I used them (in an emergency) they felt like I was always riding a wet road, went back to Bridgestones soon as possible and stayed with them ever since. Weight also makes a difference I adjusted my shock a while back for touring and really noticed the difference once unloaded and pitched must have overdone it a tad.
ozzraptor wrote:55 years ago,there would need to be series of events i guess?
Yup Ozz I guess there is, I know mine was due to more than one cause
SnappY
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

It doesn't look to bad as long as nothing is bent.
Get some proper pictures up of the whole bike with a price and see what happens.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

norrie wrote:55 years agoIt doesn't look to bad as long as nothing is bent.
Get some proper pictures up of the whole bike with a price and see what happens.
Well... things have changed a little. Norrie, I'd been thinking about your suggestion of using the bike & that's what I'm going to be doing. In the short term at least.

As is i.e. SORN, running but not serviced etc, the value is going to be pretty minimal if not bugger all. So she's going to get a full service, oil, brake fluid, filters, pads, chain & sprocket, tyre etc and then I may as well use her on the nice days before we move to Bath in July. I'm guessing this will improve her value to something more acceptable. And it will also give me time to see what's she's like on a daily basis & whether to chop her in or not.

One question I do have though is what are oemmootorparts like for delivery & service? I was going to order an indicator pod & a rear seat panel but I doubt I'll be replacing the fairing - over £500 !eeek!
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

No idea but I do know there's been a lot of parts on e-Bay lately as Dizzy came of her bike and managed to get a lot of parts second hand.
I think you're making the right decision keeping the bike and using it as I think you will love it once you get it sorted. Good tyres do make a big difference.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Excellent news, maybe come up to Lincolnshire to meet some of us at the uk gathering? Xx

Sent from my iPad using Technical magic
Twisted Tequila Sister