Stand spring bodge. Which bolt?

General spannery stuff
Algernon
On the Road

Stand spring bodge. Which bolt?

Post by Algernon »

Hi all.
If you look at the pic below you'll see that the little spigot that the top stand spring bracket locates around has snapped off.

The hole in the bracket on the right hand side usually locates over the little spigot (that comes off a part of the frame) and runs in its groove.

As a fix I'm thinking of drilling through the frame extension and using a 4/6/mm (not measured yet) bolt/set screw with assorted nuts as in the rubbishy drawing below.
Can anyone tell me what type of bolt I need i.e hardened? High tensile? Stainless steel? Hopefully getting the correct bolt will give it a reasonable lifespan.

ozzraptor
On the Road

Re: Stand spring bodge. Which bolt?

Post by ozzraptor »

Get it welded back on, you could use a bolt ,groove the top of the bolt with an angle grinder for spring retainer to hold on to, but i dont think there's enough room for a locking nut at the back so that may be a problem
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

It could be mig welded on in just a few minutes , just disconnect battery and keep earth close to the bracket being welded.
Algernon
On the Road

Post by Algernon »

Thanks for the suggestions ozzraptor.
Unfortunately I don't have a mig and so I would have to get someone in to do it for me and as it's right at the bottom of the bike in a tight location I expect I might have trouble getting someone who could be arsed to get down there.
I'll take a look tonight and suss out whether there is the space to get my nut/bolt bodge in there. Fingers crossed it'll be alright. That's the easiest "fix" for me.
Algernon
On the Road

Post by Algernon »

Stand fixed as above. I think I may eventually have to replace the bolt with a larger diameter at some point in the far future. It's 5mm same as the groove in the original spigot but the hole in the bracket will have to be widened to accommodate any larger bolt.