Introduction, Newmarket Raptor 1000 and some questions

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
Algernon
On the Road

Introduction, Newmarket Raptor 1000 and some questions

Post by Algernon »

Evening all. (Not a copper)
Having had plenty of bikes and being without one now for a year or so, I thought it was time to get one in the garage.
The question in my head was: Should I buy something shiny or something that needed a bit/lot of loving, maybe a bit like a rescue dog.
I thought back to some of the bikes I've had in the past and noticed a trend: Aprilia RSV, Aprilia Futura, Suzuki TL1000R. So it was going to be a V-Twin and I remember loving the lump in my TLR.
However, now I'm getting on a bit and can't be arsed with all that crouching forward business I thought I would look for something more upright.
I chanced upon this eBayed Raptor and perhaps in a moment of madness, somewhat uncharacteristically popped in a bid based purely on it's TLR engine and rescue dog qualities.
I expect it has been seen on here before as the UK's only??? Raptor forum?

The bike, has scorpion cans with decibel killers, Power commander 3, good tyres, 3 new brake discs, starts easily (now the battery is charged and the connectors cleaned up), runs well and quietly. It does have major problems: No tax, no MOT, a lack of sidestand springs (easily sorted says he) and more worrying and potentially wallet busting lack of fourth gear along with minor issues, grubby, floppy clutch lever,.
I probably paid too much for it but it can sit in the garage over winter, awaiting and being fitted with cheap and cheerful replacement parts from various sources in readiness for a neck strengthening spring and summer.
I'm undecided what I'm going to do about the gearbox issue but I have plenty of time.

I have a few questions.
Are there any special tools I'm going to need to buy to take the gearbox apart?
Can anyone recommend anyone close to Suffolk/Cambridge who might have the skills to sort the gearbox issue? I'll take the lump to them .
Looking at the stand pics can anyone see if it looks complete as I don't want to chase up some springs only to find out the stand is incomplete.
Is that the diagnostic port connector I'm holding in one of the pics? or?

Algernon
On the Road

Re: Introduction, Newmarket Raptor 1000 and some questions

Post by Algernon »

Air pressure sensor I see, so scratch that question.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Welcome in, i will have a look at the pics tomorrow and see if i can see what is what on the side stand.

Sent from my iPad using Technical magic
Twisted Tequila Sister
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

looks like the safety switch is missing from behind the stand, not a problem if the wiring has been sorted.
nil illigitimae carborundum
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

welcome to the madhouse
Bit of a Muppet
Algernon
On the Road

Post by Algernon »

Thanks for the welcome guys.
I've put a virtual £200 behind the bar at the virtual Oily Johnnies, help yourselves to drinks.

Jeez, I don't like to ask a pain in the arse question right from the off but I want to stick the bike straight in for an MOT to see exactly what needs doing and I need to get the sidestand sorted asap to do so. I promise I won't ask another question for a while.
Can anyone tell me where exactly the two springs go from and to on the stand etc, a couple of photos would be good as I cant find a detailed pic online, and if possible can anyone measure the resting lengths of the springs. I'll see if I can find some about the right length.

CT The bike starts with the stand down but I haven't knocked it into gear due to the gearbox issues so who knows?
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Welcome, i'll ave alf :beer: The gearbox issue will probabally mean the engine will need to be stripped :( may be wrong or at least i hope so. These arent a tlr but they are a fun bike , the biggest stumbling block on unleashing power on the raptor is the exhaust headers and the small airbox with non ram air, thats worth about 10 straight off the top and then with the tlr it had different cams,valves, twin injectors and around 20 more on top of the raptor but you can still improve on the raptors 105 rwhp within its limitations.
shebee
Site Admin

Post by shebee »

Hi I have had a dig...

Side stand components drawings are here..

https://www.oemmotorparts.com/oem5.asp? ... A-RAP-1_CM

hope this helps
Twisted Tequila Sister
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

on second look, the switch does appear to be there but the pin seems stuck in the body (should be fully extended when stand down!)
nil illigitimae carborundum
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Welcome and good luck sorting the box although it might be easier cheaper sourcing another engine/box.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
Algernon
On the Road

Post by Algernon »

Thanks shebee.
I have that page bookmarked but can't quite make it all out, I suspect I'll just end up buying the springs off there as there can't be too many ways they could fit.

ozzraptor I expect that the standard oomph will be ok for me for a while :evil:
and norrie, thanks for the comments.
I'm going to take the engine out and take the box apart anyhow because it'll have to come out no matter what. I'll decide then on the next plan of action when I see what it's guts are like.

Am I right in thinking that the Raptor engine is the TL/S engine? Can it only be swapped with a TL/S engine or can the TL/R, SV etc engine be swapped in with the throttle bodies etc swapped over? Damn, I wasn't going to ask any more questions.
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

It was a TLS engine, but the Italians did magickery in it, and around it ;-)
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Hi,

Did a search for "stand" and found this for you

http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... =11&t=3870

You will need to order the small crescent bracket as well as the springs (parts 31, 32 & 33).
152/999
shebee
Site Admin

Post by shebee »

I think the cams are different in the raptor, but it might all be in the electrickery

Twisted Tequila Sister
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

shebee wrote:55 years agoI think the cams are different in the raptor, but it might all be in the electrickery

Induction and exhaust make the most difference.
152/999