New shock options

General spannery stuff
raptorpaul

New shock options

Post by raptorpaul »

Hi All.

I've just rode back home from work, left the bike outside for a couple of hours before I put it away and went back to it and it was sat in a pool of oil.
First I thought it was engine oil but it looks like its from the shock. Went to wheel it into the garage and its defo the rear shock as the back end feels solid.

I'm not sure what my options are is it possible to get the existing shock repaired or is it just a new one? I've done a quick search and all I can find is the Hagon shocks for around £300.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Paul
snapdragon

Re: New shock options

Post by snapdragon »

Welcome in :)
White power used to make one and I understand some Aprilia items fit, but am not entirely sure if the original is re-buildable
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Yarp, welcome aboard!

I think they just call themselves WP these days, the Ku Klux Klan had the old name trademarked, or summmat! :doh:

The only other shock thingo I've seen in my travels is the Hyperpro spring, in a lovely shade of purple - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141292077003

EDIT: Just tidying up my open tabs (putting off the PAIR stuff for a while!) I see talk of a Nitron shock over at http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... =11&t=1714 and a Penske one over at http://www.racingraptors.com/bikes.html
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

I think Maxton do one as well ?
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

its the shock thats knackered (seal blown).
The cost of a proprietry shock from hagon/WP/maxton etc. is going to be £300 plus so
finding a suitable shock from another bike is possibly the best and cheapest fix.
Some may fit straight in with no work other than spacers/ washers while others may need a variety of work to make fit properly, it all depends on how much you can/want to do?
nil illigitimae carborundum
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Have a closer look at the shock, it might already be a Hagon or similar, and if it is, you might be able to get it rebuilt.

I've used Hagon in the past, and they are a good shock for the money, they will customise one for you too.
152/999
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Hagon should be written on the shock body and they nearly always use red springs for monoshocks

the original is a Sachs item, also stickered on the body and its a yellow spring fitted.

I have a hagon fitted and they are well made and last well for a comparitively cheap shock just dont expect all the bells and whistles you find all most race/aftermarket stuff nowadays.....................
nil illigitimae carborundum
Bear of Little Brain
On the Road

Post by Bear of Little Brain »

Just dug out my 02/07/2010 receipt from Hagon:
M67011 CAGIVA 650/1000 RAPTOR (ZCGM2) £295.00 incl. VAT
plus:
MHA001 MONOSHOCK HYDRAULIC SPRING ADJUSTER COMPLETE (retrofitted to M67011 mono unit) £125 incl. VAT

Not sure I could afford that now :x although the pre-load adjuster is handy

If I remember correctly, it came with the mounting plate. On mine, the screw-in/out adjuster is mounted on the left, with the plate mounted via one allen-keyed bolt, just above the rear engine sprocket, with a ty-rap to stop it wandering downward. The loss of depth-of-thread doesn't seem to have caused any problems (so far!). I believe later models have a mounting lug on the rear subframe, below the seat, which offers an alternative fixing, perhaps. Mine doesn't – so I may be wrong about that!
See attached image:
P1040669.jpg
P1040669.jpg (35.21 KiB) Viewed 3070 times