Engine cutting out

General spannery stuff
ozzraptor
On the Road

Re: Engine cutting out

Post by ozzraptor »

All good sugestions, seems to be a general consensus here about the fuel , first place i would be looking is in the fuel tank. If there was contamination in the fuel i guess plugs and injectors would now need to be cleaned also? I only get my fuel from one place only, theres a lot of dodgy fuel around. I wouldnt be running any cheapo blends with ethanol
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

ozzraptor wrote:55 years agoAll good sugestions, seems to be a general consensus here about the fuel , first place i would be looking is in the fuel tank. If there was contamination in the fuel i guess plugs and injectors would now need to be cleaned also? I only get my fuel from one place only, theres a lot of dodgy fuel around. I wouldnt be running any cheapo blends with ethanol
Yup, I only used injector cleaner as she had sat for ages with old fuel and it killed my fuel pump, preventative more than anything. And yes I NEVER put any of the Ethanol blends in her, like poison, basically, for anything not designed to handle it. :sick:
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

I am assuming its the 1000 , this one with similar problem , not sure if the op got it sorted ?

http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... =11&t=4113
Fazerstun
Crockery Monitor

Post by Fazerstun »

Yes fuel injected, yes 1000, no misfiring, no smell of fuel. I even put the super whizzy Shell stuff in ;) Apparently the dry fuel should clean the fuel injectors too - just off up to Halfords in a bit to give it a whirl. Will let you all know how I get on. Thanks for all the input tho guys - much appreciated :thumbsup:
I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I am a drunk, we go to parties.
Fazerstun
Crockery Monitor

Post by Fazerstun »

Well, I am home, cold, tired, achy, hungry and still bloody stalling :cry:
The dry fuel seemed to help a bit - I could shut it to half choke on tickover, but that's it. The temp is staying around the 80 mark. I shut the choke off whilst riding, but slip it open if I see I've got to stop. I have to rev when I hit the ignition again or it won't catch. :rant:
I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I am a drunk, we go to parties.
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

I would also lift the tank and check all the air/vacuum tubes for leaks etc.
nil illigitimae carborundum
Fazerstun
Crockery Monitor

Post by Fazerstun »

Cheers CP. I will. Not tonight tho. Tonight I have a date with some fish & chips and a bottle of wine ;)
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Did you just go for a short ride, or have you used that tankfull with dry fuel? If it's helping a bit and you've only done a short ride, then you might just have to go for a big ride to work the lot through the system, and get rid of the build up, if that's the issue. :revrev:
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Ahhhhh so here is the thread.

Last year I had a similar issue. Start her up, stick your hands over the pipes outlets. They should both blow at the same time. If one comes on, then the other, one of your cylinders isn't firing up. It's usually the rear. Whip out the rear plug. Tell us what you see. It's either just needing a quick clean or replacing

Folk on here will remember that I had issues with idling. They don't like moving below 30 degrees, but mine got to the point it would cut out even in the 70s! I had my mate Mark up here investigating the TBs for balancing. They were fine. It couldn't idle at 1400 either and sometimes would only run on half choke until over 80 degrees. Plug off and cleaned up, idle reset, been fine since. :thumbsup:

If the battery is duff it won't throw up any codes either. Just for reference.

Now if I'd read this thread in.the first place, I wouldn't have suggested all the other possibilities first ;-)
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Fazerstun
Crockery Monitor

Post by Fazerstun »

Spyke, It was 105 miles so the lot's been through system. I arrived home and promptly stalled :o
Cheers Dizz, I shall be investigating plugs when I have time..... oh and when I have the right size plug remover ;)
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I'd think that now you're home - and with low fuel - and intending checking the rear sparker - it might be a plan to buy a can-full of nice fresh fuel and drain the tank while you have the opportunity too.
Since reading Bear of LB's checks on fuel you may find that ethanol rich fuel may have been used and brought water in, even if the tank and it's drains are not compromised.
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Fazerstun
Crockery Monitor

Post by Fazerstun »

The last 3 fill ups have all been with superduper petrol. Having checked out the link for the ethanol free petrol from Total, there are none in East Sussex :o So I'll have to take my chances with the posh stuff. I haz now ordered new iridium (oooh pretty :toocool: ) sparks, an oil filter, filter removal wrench and a new battery. Looks like I shall be busy at the weekend. Now..... where did I put the spark socket......? :?
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Doesn't the spark socket live in the onboard tool pouch? The iridiums (CR8EIX) only have one electrode, when the Cagiva/Suzuki recommended ones (CR8EK) are twin electrode, and never need gapping.
Fazerstun
Crockery Monitor

Post by Fazerstun »

No onboard tool pouch - luckily I still had the tools from my old bike and it's the right size :D Also, thankfully, I had the help of the international raptor rescue team of Sheb and Andy visit me today. New plugs fitted (Andy's dead clever, I undid the mounting bolts for the rad and moved it, swore a lot, couldn't get to the spark, put the rad back on and went down the pub instead :D ) tickover adjusted and it's all running tickety boo. Sheb test rode it as my alcohol level was still too high ;)

Result: Happy Raptor, happy Fazer. Now, car's in for MOT tomorrow, so no work for me..... let's hope the sun is shining :toocool:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

hoorah :dance: :thumbsup:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>