Raptor 1000 won't start

General spannery stuff
Str8 Banana
On the Road

Raptor 1000 won't start

Post by Str8 Banana »

Hello guys,

new here :happyhappy: and I was going to make a grand entrance :thumbsup: to this forum but fate has decided differently.. :naughty:

Yesterday!! I picked up my Raptor 1000, fully ok, did 2 test rides, everything went smooth. So I take it out for a spin with my girlfriend so no crazy stuff, no problems.
Then in the afternoon I take it to work and everything is ok, all it said was CHEC, but I didn't know what to check and I was taking it in for maintenance on tuesday anyway.. So I get off work round midnight and I try to start and you can hear it trying to go round and start but it doesn't quite get there. I keep pushing the ignition and after it stops trying to go round it makes a sound like Trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I have read that this means the power is too low for the starting engine so I went and got a charger and hooked it up all through last night and today. I tried starting it this afternoon, still the same issue...

When the ignition is turned on the red light lights up and this means low oil pressure I have read. So now the question is, can low oil pressure prevent the bike from starting and create a TTTTRRRRRRRRRRRR sound? Or is it still the battery?

The former owner practically didn't drive the thing so maybe the battery has drained, but surely it should work again when charging for 15 hours? Can oil pressure drop if the bike hasn't been used for a long time?

So many questions :doh:
snapdragon

Re: Raptor 1000 won't start

Post by snapdragon »

ach delay, your post would have gone through had you made your grand entrance in the virtual bar

welcome in

I'll go check the post and then get back to you
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

'chec' is usually either sidestand switch not caught by sidestand tab, bike in gear, or kill switch on

If you continued to try to start with 'chec' on the dash then yes you could have drained the battery

and I deleted the duplicate post
SnappY
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Or the kill switch in the off position :oops: been there, panicked, bloody local kids! I think side stand down and in gear will do it too if you don't have the clutch pulled in.
Twisted Tequila Sister
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

:thumbsup: oh and welcome :thumbsup:
Twisted Tequila Sister
Str8 Banana
On the Road

Post by Str8 Banana »

Sidestand in, in neutral, killswitch is not enabled and clutch pulled in.. I just checked the oil and it's full so that can't be the problem.. So I guess the battery is dying on me. The lights and such still work, just can't start the engine..
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

for info, the oil can pressure light stays on until the engine starts, whereabouts are you ?

are you using the throttle advance? (choke thingy)
SnappY
TLPower
On the Road

Post by TLPower »

Hi there,

As previously advised the oil light will only go out when the engine is running( providing there is sufficient oil pressure).
From your description it sounds like the engine is not turning over.
With a fully charged battery the head light should be bright. If the lights are bright do they dim when you try to start it? Have you tried starting with some jump leads? If it wont spin over with jump leads I would check all the main cables from the battery to the starter, including the earths. My bike presented with similar problems, it was the positive connection on the battery that had vibrated loose.

Good luck.
Str8 Banana
On the Road

Post by Str8 Banana »

snapdragon wrote:55 years agofor info, the oil can pressure light stays on until the engine starts, whereabouts are you ?

are you using the throttle advance? (choke thingy)
I live in Belgium, Ghent :thumbsup:

I have both tried starting with the choke on and off..
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Sounds pretty much like a new battery is needed then Str8Banana.
I've always used the advancer/choke on full when I start the bike (unless it's a re-start and the temperature is sitting at 70c or so)
SnappY
Str8 Banana
On the Road

Post by Str8 Banana »

Had it picked up by the guy that does the maintenance, he tried starting it and immediately said, ead battery.. Leaving for Turkey tomorrow and will have it back on friday next week. Looking forward to posting some pics and a youtube link with the sound of my open Leo Vinci exhausts :) :revrev: