Chains and rear sprockets.

General spannery stuff
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Chains and rear sprockets.

Post by dizzyblonde »

I'm a bit perturbed over this ere PITA rear sprocket malarky. I know I can go to B&C Express(thinks thats the right name) and get Renthal kits for around £175 ish. Now on that evil place of a trading bay, I can get a D.I.D XVM chain and sprocket kit for £137...which is a massive saving, seeing as I also need to get one for the ZZR14 :rant:

If I go to the man round the corner to have my chain and sprockets fitted, he can get a DID XVM chain and front sprocket, but is finding it hard to get hold of the rear......but hes already over the cost of B&C. :?

I 'think' my ex has bought off this company before, and its en route for my other half on his way to work........will I have problems with that pesky rear sprocket???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAGIVA-1000-R ... 8637856631
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Miz
On the Road

Re: Chains and rear sprockets.

Post by Miz »

Why buy a kit?

Go to B&C and buy a rear sprocket that you can be confident will fit, then shop around for a TL1000/Suzuki front sprocket and a chain, from whoever offers the best deal.
152/999
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I think last time I bought from http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/cagiva/raptor_1000/00-05/
prices for kit from £103 to £121, vat incl I think
seperate sprockets also available

I've had very good service from this company
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

I've had loads of stuff off wemoto before, their XVM chain and sprocket kits are 20 quid more than the place in Rochdale.

The fella had a a look on JT sprockets to see what the dimensions of this ere rear sprocket was, to try cross reference it with the kit he has....... no specifications....soooooo
I know its a 16/40 set of sprockets with a 160 chain....... anything else I can throw in for the rear before committing to buy? thickness, inside diameter, bolt hole quantity size etc?
I've looked on the PDF but its not giving that info :roll:

edit....

6x10.5mm bolt holes
centre hole 121mm
8.9mm thickness.

correct?
Last edited by dizzyblonde on |June 12th, 2012|, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

dizzyblonde wrote:55 years agoI've had loads of stuff off wemoto before, their XVM chain and sprocket kits are 20 quid more than the place in Rochdale.
:
Rochdale? Paul Smeeton's Bitz for Bikes? he had the front and chain but not the rear, I bought the set from them some years ago and had to return the rear sprocket
nice company though and good customer service

wemoto seem to be coming in at 136 for did + sprocket kits so I thought that would be cheaper???

anyhoo they do have rear sprockets seperately if you get the rest from elsewhere :thumbsup:
SnappY
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

snapdragon wrote:55 years ago
nice company though and good customer service....
I agree Snap, I bought some stuff off them in December. It didn't arrive, so in January I contacted them and they sent the order off again, no hassle, no arguments.
A bit annoying at the time because it was my son's Christmas pressie, but sometimes sh*t happens, and I would buy from them again.

Rear sprockets seem to be a bit rare. I bought a set from the NEC show, it arrived without a rear, and weeks later the shop (G+T bike spares, Sheffield) had to admit they couldn't source one. They sent me £20 back eventually.
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Yeah thats the one. I gave them the measurements and they've come up with a matching rear sprocket... :?

This is why I'm umming and arrring.

I am local to them...ish, so if it is wrong its not much of a problem....plus when they can give me the ZZR and the Raptor for the price of a local firm fitting just the Z for the same X-ZVM chain its all good :happyhappy:
They are very helpful on the phone, as you say customer service etc. Called B&C and the woman was royally rude, I know I can get a renthal sprocket off them, but I don't want an ally one if I can help it.
So, if this one I'm looking to order doesn't fit from Bikezbitz, I'll go to Wemoto, as I've bought from them successfully before, as has Snap.

Now whose fitted a Busa rear to one before, that ones rattling around my head for some reason. :suspect:
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

If I remember rightly the 'busa doesn't fit straight on. I think the centre hole in the sprocket had to be machined out a bit to fit on the Rap wheel.
Can't remember who posted about it but it was yonks ago.
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

hmm ok, knew I'd have read something somewhere.

Well, as I'm picking it up myself, I'll just make sure that the measurements are correct before purchasing, that I've now registered on this thread for safe keeping.....and also remember the internal measurements from the Wemoto diagram ;)

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/cagiva/rapt ... r_-_steel/

If it doesn't measure up, I don't need to take the sprocket with me!
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

Ive bought complete sprocket sets from demon tweeks before, when I had the stock rear wheel.
I now use Talon sprockets ( but my rear is now a Dymag) , the Talon front sprocket seems to be a higher quality product. Give Talon a call , they may have cagiva rear sprocket equivalents.
Stay calm.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

The 'busa sprocket is 1mm smaller centre than the rappy one, it's the one I had from bitz4bikes
weirdo wrote:55 years agoIf I remember rightly the 'busa doesn't fit straight on. I think the centre hole in the sprocket had to be machined out a bit to fit on the Rap wheel.
Can't remember who posted about it but it was yonks ago.
I think it may have been me, had a few chains and sprockets during my raptor ownership :nod:

the 'buying hyabusa sprocket' if of interest
2007 and it seems i went to BandC then, they were ok back then
SnappY
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

The odd thing is, I'm looking at wemoto diagrams, and the Raptor rear diagram matches this one (was curious of the sizings)
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Suzuki/GSX_ ... s_3_Teeth/

Also, seemingly the same diagram for ZZR600 90-04, TL R&S 99-03, GSXR 750 96-97

WELL........i'M CAFFFUDDLED :blink:
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Could someone please be so kind as to put up a photo of their sprocket please, especially Snap?

I have been sat in the office of BitsforBikez today and looked through the entire JT sprocket catalogue to see if there was one with an internal hole of 121mm. NONE. There was one for 116.7 or something stupid :blink:

For reference, Wemoto use the same suppliers as these guys for theirs. I said to the fella it is where I have been pointing at if this one I have here doesn't fit. Wemoto must be supplying 'Busa' sprockets as its the same catalogue number for both, as we cross referenced them, which I had noticed when looking at the link Snapdragon supplied for Wemoto.

The only sprocket that has the correct dimensions is the Renthal from B&C(so far), which is ally, and I prefer longevity of steel ones.

We had two sprockets on the desk, and I took the one with the fractionally larger hole in the middle.

As Shedmonkey said in the old thread on this, it could be possible for a man and a lathe to solve the problem by either shaving a mm off the sprocket hole, or where it sits on the bike. We actually said exactly the same in the office.

WARRRA PAIN IN TH|E BUM :rant:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

amazing what you keep
it's a Renthal 426 530 40T and with my limited measuring devices seems to be 121mm centre :blink:

not sure if the pic will work as I don't have a photo host (well not a reliable one anyhoo)

one extra thingy though - my steel front sprockets usually wear quicker than the ally renthals - just ditching a good chain each time (since chain one) is a pain
SnappY
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

dizzyblonde wrote:55 years agoCould someone please be so kind as to put up a photo of their sprocket please, especially Snap?

-/-As Shedmonkey said in the old thread on this, it could be possible for a man and a lathe to solve the problem by either shaving a mm off the sprocket hole, or where it sits on the bike. We actually said exactly the same in the office.
:rant:
only needs half a mm all round - which could maybe be done with a dremel and a grinding wheel but better with a lathe of course. I did have one years ago that was skimmed to Raptor size - this cost an extra fiver or so, with the cost of sprockets that was rather a bit :pinch:
SnappY