nearly thrown off

General spannery stuff
tyremuncher
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: danny moore , hawick

nearly thrown off

Post by tyremuncher »

well i took the woman out for a run today and was heading for hartside,going round a right hander fairly leant over and the rear wheel locks up,dont ask me how but we both stayed on,stopped and got off the bike,couldnt see anything so tried to get it in neutral,not a chance,rear was still solid,walked up and down the road swearing and cussing,tried to bump the bike round to get it into a layby and its all frees up,got it started and a slow plod back home,got home and straight out with the tools ,cant find anything as to why this seized up, ive got a feeling it was the rear brake but cant pin point for definate,so maybe just a warning, check your rear brake if your bike has been left for a while, phew that was a close one, think the gf will take some convincing to get back on,
i dont need sex,the government fu*k me everyday
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: nearly thrown off

Post by Crap Tartan »

mmmm, sounds scary! Sure I have heard of this rear brake locking up before tho`, cant remember the cause or fix .
nil illigitimae carborundum
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Dont know if its the same but I had a simillar problem on mine the back brake locked on and i think it was a combination of a slightle sticky caliper heating up the old moisture ridden brake fluid. Changed fluid cleaned up caliper and no probs since. Also back discs have a habit of cracking have a look for this. :nod:
Bit of a Muppet
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

The master cylinders are dodgy , i never had a complete lock up but my rear brake would stick and never felt great, cured with a new master cylinder.
Stay calm.
tyremuncher
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: danny moore , hawick

Post by tyremuncher »

well ive had a good look around the rear brake and definatly looks like the culprit,disc has still got a blueing to the edge of it,no cracks so ive stripped the caliper,given it a good going over,think the next time i go out i shall stop 15 miles down the road and check the caliper,
i dont need sex,the government fu*k me everyday
cagiva_girl
On the Road

Post by cagiva_girl »

I've has the rear brake lock up, thank god it was at slow speed. Check the adjustment nut just in case its worked loose as it could be applying slight pressure to the cylinder which builds up and results in a lock up :oops: If you have stripped the caliper just check your seals are ok as mine were never right again, presume it was the heat, but everything has been ok since they were replaced :mrgreen:

Must admit a couple of mates couldn't understand why I even bother use the rear brake, then they saw how slow I ride :oops:
so many roads to travel - so many ways to get lost!