Round Glen Coe march 5th

Somewhere for you to post your piccies of you and your bikes
pod
On the Road

Round Glen Coe march 5th

Post by pod »

Some notes on a pleasant afternoon in the Highlands.
Just in from the 100 mile. Taynuilt Tyndrum Glen Coe Ballachullish Benderloch loop.
The roads were 75% dry, the sun was out! the traffic light, the hot cammed trick suspension Raptorina was in its element.
Clear blue skies with a fairy dusting of snow on the peaks, lochans glistening like peat black mirrors.
Two sets of road works with convoy traffic on the Dalmally - Tyndrum section allowed the rider to escape knots of traffic and gave 5 mile clear sections on Glen Straes wonderful curves.
Skish went the Brembos and Prrrasp went the motor .
A brief stop in the Green Welly for Cullen Skink Coffee and nicotine , glancing enviously at the parked up Triumph Tiger's hand guards, the rider decided to go for the full loop rather than dither at more roadworks. Turned the heated waistcoat on and left.
Leaving Tyndrum on the great sweeping bends that enter Glen Coe short shifting around the torque peak at 7,000 the bike ate up the road.
Unusually for Glen Coe there were very few doddlers and no speed traps , the paps were at their pappiest with white lingerie to entice the rubber necker.
Ignoring natures wonders the bike rasped through the Kinlochleven section and sliced into the glare of the setting sun, shady parts of the coastal road were still damp but the well lit dry sections still allowed parcels of fun.
On the last section through the bends at Achnacloich the huge 270 degree left hander with shell grip was backlit by the setting sun, Loch Etive as still as tourist postcard, the wee raptor grooving round its favourite bends, flicking back and forth then pulling hard before an unscheduled delay behind a cautiously driven 4WD, through Achnacloich bridge and up Fernoch brae charging through the gears .
Left tyndrum at 16:10, home an hour later.
Home and a cup of tea, hands like ice but body and mind buzzing, days like this are rare.
Stay calm.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: Round Glen Coe march 5th

Post by shebee »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :ride:
Twisted Tequila Sister
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

sounds like a lot of fun, know pretty much all those roads and views!! So where is it you stay actually?

No pics taken??
nil illigitimae carborundum
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

No time for pics, I bide in Taynuilt. Faraboots de ye bide CT. I had some idea it was Carnoustie?
If the suns out tomorrow ( fat chance) I may take some.
Next mod, fit the ex Beemer brush Guards that are lying in the shed, all was toast apart from hands today, heated waistcoat is the Biz.

heres aphotae of the Raptors sleeping partner

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Last edited by pod on |March 6th, 2012|, 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stay calm.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Sounds superb :D Pod you should be writing for the biking press :thumbsup:

brush guards are definitely the thing I need on mine too, have them on the Pegaso (currently not a runner) and really know the difference
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

pod wrote:55 years agoNo time for pics, I bide in Taynuilt. Faraboots de ye bide CT. I had some idea it was Carnoustie?
If the suns out tomorrow ( fat chance) I may take some.
Next mod, fit the ex Beemer brush Guards that are lying in the shed, all was toast apart from hands today, heated waistcoat is the Biz.
used to pass thru it regular when i lived up on Benbecula. Still do when i still visit up there or on my way to St Kilda.

Now live down near Stranraer but next week move to Cumbria................wifes work!!!

Is it you that has the cf wheels on your rap??
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

It's nice when it's warm of course, but I've got a few treasured memories of crispy cold, sunny days in Winter. Been able to get out a couple of times myself in recent weeks. Sometimes wish Scotland was a bit closer. Last time I went through Glencoe, it was warmer than your ride, but also a lot wetter.
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

Is it you that has the cf wheels on your rap??

Yes, gilding the lily , or icing on the cake.
The wheels were originally fitted to a thou so I now have an OTT wide back rim 180 instead of the 160 Std 650, however its still 2.5 Kilos lighter.
if anyone has a 3 spoke mag CF dymag 160 rim I would swap.
More rubber than I need though.
Before I got them I considered spoked wheels with ally rims. Happy now though.
Stay calm.
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Pod, u have pm