Motor difference between Raptor 1000 and TL 1000 motor?

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
JakesS
On the Road

Re: Motor difference between Raptor 1000 and TL 1000 motor?

Post by JakesS »

AZ wrote:55 years agoFor a start ,if the battery is suspect it will not rev out as the charging system will draw the power before the ecu and at high revs when the fuel pump, ecu and coils etc need more juice then they wont get it and it`ll feel a bag of sh*t,mine did.
After fitting a new battery it was like a new bike.

Do you have a name and battary type or a part number for me?

After fitting some irridium plugs it went like the clappers and was better on fuel as well.Up the top end(over 100) Do you have a name and part number for the plugs you fitted? And another thing..... Is the top speed of your raptor 110mph? .
When in doubt...... FLAT OUT!!!
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

I've done over 100 mph on the Raptor.....but won't go any higher, as I might get blown off the back.... I'm no ape sized bird :snooty:

As for revving, I can't comment, I tend to get to that 100 mark with a few thousand revs left to spare!

Has your battery completely flattened since replacing it, like the last one?
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

TX9-BS YUASA battery

NGK Iridium sparkies

as I remember

Raptordoc used to talk about 'top gear roll on' but as the rap will get to well over the national speed limit in third I've never got to that point
dizzyblonde wrote:55 years agoI've done over 100 mph on the Raptor.....but won't go any higher, as I might get blown off the back.... I'm no ape sized bird :snooty:

As for revving, I can't comment, I tend to get to that 100 mark with a few thousand revs left to spare!
:happyhappy: yup
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
roadrunner
On the Road

Post by roadrunner »

my 2001 650 raptor red lines at 10200revs doing about 215 klm on the main straight at the Philip Island track in top gear.Must be a tight bend to go round at 3000revs. drop a gear and keep the power up. these bikes are built for the real twisties.Sorry you are not enjoying the raptor,there is nothing like the sound of a Vtwin howling through the bends. yorky
JakesS
On the Road

Post by JakesS »

dizzyblonde wrote:55 years agoI've done over 100 mph on the Raptor.....but won't go any higher, as I might get blown off the back.... I'm no ape sized bird :snooty:

Has your battery completely flattened since replacing it, like the last one?
Point taken the wind can get a tad rough at 100mph

no it was not completly flat new battery works like a charm.
JakesS
On the Road

Post by JakesS »

snapdragon wrote:55 years agoTX9-BS YUASA battery

NGK Iridium sparkies Ill check if i can find plugs like that to fit thanks

as I remember

Raptordoc used to talk about 'top gear roll on' but as the rap will get to well over the national speed limit in third I've never got to that point

:happyhappy: yup
JakesS
On the Road

Post by JakesS »

roadrunner wrote:55 years agomy 2001 650 raptor red lines at 10200revs doing about 215 klm on the main straight at the Philip Island track in top gear.Must be a tight bend to go round at 3000revs. drop a gear and keep the power up. these bikes are built for the real twisties.Sorry you are not enjoying the raptor,there is nothing like the sound of a Vtwin howling through the bends. yorky
yes it is very tight.... what rev range should I look at cuz normaly I try to keep it at 4000 to 5000 minimum but then she snakes out of the corner and just as I want to enjoy it im on 7500rpm with NO POWER AT ALL. thinking I should build my own TRE this weekend and see If i can get that sorted maybe that will do the trick :geek:
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Mine (1000 v rap) will do 140mph (on the track obviously) but wont go faster no matter how hard i try. :P
Bit of a Muppet
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years agoMine (1000 v rap) will do 140mph (on the track obviously) but wont go faster no matter how hard i try. :P
Mine too (allegedly)... when the wind is clam and it does feel like there might be a bit more.. but I cannot hang on!
Twisted Tequila Sister
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

I`ve seen just a shade over 150 mph on the clock( with a screen,wouldn`t fancy it without one) and that was confirmed by my mate on his TLR1000 who was showing 155 while behind me.I regularly do in excess of 130mph no problem. My battery was a cheapo one,can`t remember the make but fitted it 3 years ago and it`s still fine .The plugs are the ngk irridium.I have removed my tre as it doesn`t seem to make any difference,still leaves black lines from slow corners and roundabouts so why bother.
Just an idea but when was the last time the valve clearances were checked as when they close up they give restricted power and wont rev out due to reduced compression ,worth checking as if left will burn the valves and seats.
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

152/999
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

Same as AZ, i've seen 150 on my clock a couple of times, but i wouldn't fancy it without a screen.

110 is WELL off the mark! Have you got the standard sprockets on?
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
JakesS
On the Road

Post by JakesS »

AZ wrote:55 years agoJust an idea but when was the last time the valve clearances were checked as when they close up they give restricted power and wont rev out due to reduced compression ,worth checking as if left will burn the valves and seats.
I have never checked the valve clearances and I strongly doubt the previous owner did I will tackle the Raptor over the weekend to see what I can do. Thanks
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

Replace the Baro sensor, I had a similar fault on my Renault van The mass air flow sensor dipped out, the thing became incredibly gutless and went into limp home mode, just enough poke to get around and no more.
Stay calm.
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

Raptor Thous rev to over 10,500 rpm. At least, that's where the red line is so that's as far as I've taken mine. I take it well past 8,000 rpm quite regularly in the lower gears. Power delivery is fairly linear throughout.

Riding on twisties is very much down to the rider. I've been left on a couple of twisty roads by other bikes of similar capacity. However, I wasn't near the red line on mine, so maybe there was more performance there but it would have taken a better person than me to be able to use it.

I used to go out with a couple of mates an CBR600s (one is and RR) and it was laughably easy to keep up with them on the straights up to 100 mph and I just waltzed off and left them when the roads got bendy. Don't think that I'd hold a candle to a well ridden Fireblade though.