steering damper?

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
luke7

steering damper?

Post by luke7 »

Hi
Im looking for a steering damper for my raptor and i cant find any.
can anyone help me?
has anyone put one on their bike?

thanks
snapdragon

Re: steering damper?

Post by snapdragon »

Hi Luke, welcome in :) why do you feel the need for a damper? something wrong?

no help I know, sorry! I've no experience with them.
It's only been specifically bad road conditions:- deisel with rain; and gravel with white lines, that have made her tankslap.
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Demansia
On the Road

Post by Demansia »

I agree with Snap, sort your suspension with a few of the tips found here on the forum & you'll find no need for a dampner.
In my experience dampners are a band-aid solution for suspension flaws & reduce feedback from the front end.

No help either i know, just my 2 cents worth.

Chad
Nothin like V-Twin Grin!!
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

FYI

The Xtra has one fitted as standard, and there is one being broken on this site and ebay at the moment.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
152/999
Evil Twin
On the Road

Post by Evil Twin »

Welcome Luke
I thought I need one too when I first got the Rap but after raising the rear no issues.
Like Demansia said sort your suspension and you'll be better of
The bike made me do it!
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

The bumps and lumps of Yorkshire roads would have shown up any reason for needing a steering damper.....but I can say the same thing as the others, theres not really any need for one.

Whats the reasoning behind you wanting one?
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

Hello Luke, you'd need to go quite a long way from standard settings to actually NEED a damper on a rap, either that or something just aint working properly.

If the back end hasn't been extremely jacked up or the forks aren't way too far through the yokes, and things don't feel right, you need to look at tyres, front wheel, headstock bearings, fork oil levels etc.

I hope you want one for the sake of having one (that's no bad thing), but if you feel you actually need one i'd be a bit concerned.
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
exposuredesigns
On the Road

Post by exposuredesigns »

Hi Guys, sorry to raise this subject again.
Let me give you some background.

I have a 2005 Raptor - new steering head bearings, Rear suspension mount mod - Brand new Pilot Pure tyres - Other than that it is standard. I run 38psi front and back on the road and i also do some track days. I have been riding for over 20 years and do alot of riding. I have done 30,000km in the last 12 months on this Raptor alone.

The bike handles fantastic in the tight stuff and will keep with any sports bike (and i mean ANY), but on the open corners, it seems to wander and is less than confidence inspiring. It is particularly bad when the tyres are worn from long trips. i rode to the GP last year (5000km round trip) and when i got back it was particularly bad.

I have had this issue in the past with other bikes. Turn up the damper and it goes away. I put down to my bike having a higher centre of gravity than most (Yeah i know - weight is on the seat and pegs but whatever :? ). I am 6'6" and 120kg suited on the bike. It shakes a little on hard corner exiting in 2nd, but that doesnt worry me. The high speed corners do scare the sh!t out of me at times when it seems to get the "wobbles up". :shock:

So i want to fit a damper to try to get it sorted. I am assuming it goes under the headlight where that mounting bolt is on the steering head. Is there a direct bolt in? I am happy to use a non-adjustable unit first just to see if it makes any difference, and if it does, i will buy a decent one.

Ok - you can flame me now... :angry:
vassilis67
On the Road

Post by vassilis67 »

It's all greek to me....
Fausto
On the Road

Post by Fausto »

Just a thought but as you have new steering head bearings perhaps they have bedded in and loosened off a bit ? If so tightening them a little may help. My feeling is that steering dampers just cover up a problem but you may be better off fixing the problem itself ??

I say this after spending this evening tightening up the steering bearings on my DRz as it had started to get awfully loose and vague on the road. ( Not helped by the knobblies though)
exposuredesigns
On the Road

Post by exposuredesigns »

I have retighted a few times, but i actually replaced them to find the problem unsuccessfully. They didnt need replacing, but did as a process of elimination. I have now eliminated all, and put it down to my size and height. I have this problem a bit with most bikes. The only bikes i have not had this problem with are Kawasaki sports bikes - they seem more planted than anything else.

Thanks for the advice though. Any other suggestions..?