steering damper fitment

General spannery stuff
kev
On the Road

steering damper fitment

Post by kev »

hi all can anyone post a close up pic of how the steering damper fits i have a clamp to go on the fork leg and i see a little bracket up under on the headstock i presume this something to do with it
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Do you have the original damper and brackets? or is it an aftermarket one?

Miz.
152/999
kev
On the Road

Post by kev »

Miz wrote:55 years agoDo you have the original damper and brackets? or is it an aftermarket one?

Miz.
its aftermarket
Spyke
On the Road

Re: steering damper fitment

Post by Spyke »

I'm now having problems re-fitting my original damper, after I took it off to deal with the cracked mounts. There are two holes in the tab that the damper can hang off, but I've fitted it up to both of them and neither seem quite right. If it's fitted to the rear hole the damper interferes with the steering lock, so I tried the forward hole (which I think "must" be right!) and the damper interferes with the carbon panel under the headlight. I took the carbon panel off so I could go for a ride, but as I was turning out of the driveway the damper felt awful, so I quickly stopped the bike and removed the damper so I could still get out for my ride.

So are there any secrets to refitting an OEM damper? I know that technically she shouldn't need it, but the damper's never caused me any bother and I've had horrid tankslappers on other bikes that I never want to experience again!
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

:blush:

Well I worked it out, so I may as well record it here, in case I forget again!
The damper hangs from the forward hole, and the gubbins goes to the offside (UK/AU), a.k.a. the front brake lever side.
Damper fitment.jpg
Damper fitment.jpg (60.38 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

And I was always wondering what that clamp was there for.
I was thinking about installing a steering damper
Is the original easy to find?even used.
Aftermarket can be fitted easily?
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

It may be that the Extra had a damper as standard - but none of the others did
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Yes the Xtra came with a damper, but the other's didn't. The original is probably available from a Cagiva/MV Agusta dealer, at a serious price. Beware the originals though as the fork clamps appear to have been badly designed and crack very easily.

Search on here and you will see a few folks have fitted different aftermarket dampers, I haven't spotted any complaints. While I was searching for pics of how to fit my OEM one I did come across these two sites that are selling them specifically for the Raps: http://www.carpimoto.it/EN/5861_2C101-M ... 0-1000.htm and http://www.pitlanemotorsport.com/shop/en/650-cagiva.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Spyke wrote:55 years ago:blush:

Well I worked it out, so I may as well record it here, in case I forget again!
The damper hangs from the forward hole, and the gubbins goes to the offside (UK/AU), a.k.a. the front brake lever side.
Damper fitment.jpg
Thanks for the pic, do you have a pic from the front , i have forgotten how mine goes back together at the fork clamp end. It appears there are left and right clamps but comparing them they both look the same except for the hinge which shouldnt make any difference.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

I think this is right - rides good, anyway! 'Scuse the dead flies....
Mucky.jpg
Mucky.jpg (61.61 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
Gubbins.jpg
Gubbins.jpg (69.47 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
When I was looking at the OEM fiches I spotted a "baffle", that is supposed to sit in front of the damper, presumably to keep the flies off, but I haven't ever seen a pic of what that looks like IRL, it might be quite cool though!

Not sure if your roads over there are as stone-covered as ours, but the radguard is this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220936470011 if you're in the market! I'd probably have tried to make my own, if it wasn't for the curve in the rad.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Spyke wrote:55 years agoI think this is right - rides good, anyway! 'Scuse the dead flies....
Mucky.jpg
Gubbins.jpg
When I was looking at the OEM fiches I spotted a "baffle", that is supposed to sit in front of the damper, presumably to keep the flies off, but I haven't ever seen a pic of what that looks like IRL, it might be quite cool though!
cheers Lou , yeah that piece looks like a "bat baffle" in keeping with the xrap theme! Thanks for the pics, well i got the damper fitted ,many thanks for the clamp . I still had one cracked clamp and when i had a look at the 2 broken clamps i have they were broken on different pieces so i swapped the good bits and made one good clamp and it works perfectly. Also got some con stands today from neverland or somewhere and they are great. The rear wheel is real easy to lift , front a bit harder but very happy!
Might still be handy if that guy can fix the broken clamps in the event it should happen again touch wood.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Nice radguards, i'm running out of money again so may have to wait for awhile. I see in your pic of the damper just above the gubbin thingy where bolts to the frame there is supposed to be a small spacer. i cant see it in your pic but may be there?
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Great looking bike !
Carbon bits and bat black, just beautiful. :thumbsup:
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

V4mp wrote:55 years agoGreat looking bike !
Carbon bits and bat black, just beautiful. :thumbsup:
thanks , its easy on the eye for sure , i remember when these came out new , i always wanted one but way too expensive new. So after a buell/speed triple/ numerous tl/sv/tlr and a ducati i finally own one :)
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

It's probably worth your while trying to make your own rad guard, have a look at the early stuff in my minor mods thread for materials.

It's possible I've hung my damper incorrectly, looking at it now it seems there is just a flanged not above the mounting hole, while below the mounting hole there is a flat washer, the link to the "universal joint", then a crown washer, and finally the bolt - is that incorrect?