Changing a chain on a V-rap 1000

General spannery stuff
wreckah
On the Road

Changing a chain on a V-rap 1000

Post by wreckah »

i did this yesterday.

due to several reasons, i had an already 'closed' brand new chain lying around, and wanted to fit this. Let me tell ya it's fussy! :lol:

take off rear wheel, shock triangle, exhaust silencers AND the header, and loosen the swingarm. Then you can wiggle the swingarm just loose enough to pull out the old chain, and work in the new one.

Took me about 2 hours including sprocket change and some cleaning.

So if you ever need to change your chain, get one that isn't riveted yet! ;)

cheers
wreckah
zorro
On the Road

Post by zorro »

Hi wreckah,

Good tip,the loose link chain with the clip is definately the go,saves a hell of a lot of work,by the way what brand/make of chain did you use and is it an x-ring.

Regards,zorro 8)
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

?? I took off the plastic side cover, clutch release mech, rear wheel & on she popped! 20 mins??
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

yeah steve, but your chain wasn't closed i presume ;)

i got the brand new chain and sprockets for free when i bought the bike. the brand is IRIS, haven't looked at the box which type it is. it's gold though :lol:

i have had all brands of chains in the past, and none were better or worse than others...DID, RK, IRIS, etc etc...they always seem to last around 20.000kms on my bikes, no matter how hard i clean them, or how bad i neglect them. I hear some guys can get 40.000kms on a chain (TL1000S rider specifically, so it's basically the same power as the raps), i have always wondered how they did that...
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

Yep, closed! I took the chain off, when I dismantled the bike, refitted on rebuild (Having said that, don't think the can would have bee on, then. Never had a problem, though!
:shock:
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?