Running 'rich' maybe? running rough...Raptor 1000

General spannery stuff
philattersall
On the Road

Running 'rich' maybe? running rough...Raptor 1000

Post by philattersall »

I've had my Remus GP cans on and k n air filter on for a fair while. About 1 month i did the 'airbox' mod.

But now it's running very very hot quickly

It goes from a cool 80 upwards very qucikly when at a stand still. Quicker than usual

And popping loudly when i back off the throttle. I thought that if anything it would run lean with 'cans on, not rich, which i'm guessing it's causing the problems

Any ideas?
midi
On the Road

Post by midi »

By doing the work you've done, you have allowed the engine to flow more air (lots more) Did you allow it to burn more fuel? Your engine is probably running very lean, not rich. Get it on a dyno sooner rather than later because it can cause expensive damage.
philattersall
On the Road

Post by philattersall »

Thats what i feared

So thats means PCIII and dyno runs!

how much are PCIII at the moment? still round the £255 mark, plus however much for the dyno runs....

Maybe just worth still the normal stuff back on?
philattersall
On the Road

Post by philattersall »

Would a Nikko Racing Injection Adjuster be a cheaper option?

I read that it need not be fitted to the bike, rather than just pluged in just the once. It says it's developed for suzuki engines. Would it work with the Raptor 1000, and are Suzuki dealers likey (in the north west) to have them, and able to set my bike up??
Brihass
On the Road

Post by Brihass »

Phil,

contact Quill Exhausts (JB Racing) they can put your bike on their dyno and set up the fuelling similar to a yoshi box set-up by changing the mapping electronically. Good set of guys down there... they just fixed Amanda's bike...

www.quillexhausts.com

regards

Bri.
140/999 Xtra Raptor.....Carbon Quill Cans, Carbon Hugger, Carbon Rear Guard, Carbon Bar End Mirrors, Renthal Bars, Belly Pan, Power Commander, K&N, TRE, Iridium Plugs, Silicon Leads, 2CT's.
philattersall
On the Road

Post by philattersall »

Cheers mate

Should save me a few /lot of pennies buying a PCII. I may even be able to scrap enough for a beer for your good self!

Booked in on thursday, about £80 to get set up

Top stuff!

I'll make sure i post any power results on here.
philattersall
On the Road

Post by philattersall »

I took it out yesterday. A FI signal was flashing on the dash, and the red light light was flashing away.

Stopped it after about 5 minutes, and the lights and FI stopped appearing on the dash???
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

philattersall wrote:55 years agoCheers mate

Should save me a few /lot of pennies buying a PCII. I may even be able to scrap enough for a beer for your good self!

Booked in on thursday, about £80 to get set up

Top stuff!

I'll make sure i post any power results on here.
What time ya booked in for dyno at jb ?
philattersall
On the Road

Post by philattersall »

Just been! (though got lost on the way!)

It seemed to be running quite well said the Dyno man. The fueling on the over run was the problem. Yoshi box pluged in, and fuelling changed, and the reslut on the ride home....well the same....
Still flaming, and banging.

The fueling all the way through was pretty spot on though

Anyway. the dyno man, said there was nothing to worry about. So I'll take his word for it. You can't put a price on 'piece of mind'

The number were (i'll try and put a pic up)

Max Power - 102.58bhp @ 8881.9rpm
Max torgue - 68.2 Ft/lb @ 6920.9

The bikes got 13,000 miles on the clock. K N Air Fliter, Remus GP cans, and Airbox mod

The only problem now to solve is why it's heating up VERY quickly in town....but thats for another post on another day

Oh. the dyno man mentioned something about someones big-bore Raptor blowing up on the Dyno....
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

philattersall wrote:55 years agoJust been!

The number were (i'll try and put a pic up)

Max Power - 102.58bhp @ 8881.9rpm
Max torgue - 68.2 Ft/lb @ 6920.9

Oh. the dyno man mentioned something about someones big-bore Raptor blowing up on the Dyno....
Missed ya mate, went up for a ride,just come in.
Pretty good power if thats at the rearwheel .
That would have been my raptor he was talking about,it didnt blowup,it just wouldnt start after he turned it off after a warmup run,spent months try to find out fault,eventually mate spotted my front inlet cam had sun on it timing gears so was way off,fitted another inlet front cam and it started straight up:)
What was ya torque at 4,5 and 6 th,just wanna compare it to mine and what rwhp was it showing at 7500rpm.
philattersall
On the Road

Post by philattersall »

4,000rpm - 58 ft/lb
5,000rpm - 61 ft/lb
6,000rpm - 64 ft/lb

7,500rpm - 96 hp

give or take the figures slightly. as i've left my slide rule in maths class :lol:

Just need to figure out this 'heating problem' at low speed, despite the new fuelling, and the over-run problem! anyway, a few flames never hurt anyone! :lol:
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

philattersall wrote:55 years ago4,000rpm - 58 ft/lb
5,000rpm - 61 ft/lb
6,000rpm - 64 ft/lb

7,500rpm - 96 hp

give or take the figures slightly. as i've left my slide rule in maths class :lol:

Just need to figure out this 'heating problem' at low speed, despite the new fuelling, and the over-run problem! anyway, a few flames never hurt anyone! :lol:
Bloody good that torque at 4th,wonder if thats got something to do with the heavier flywheel weight(bolted to the magnet where ya stator goes into) compared to the tls/tlr lighter one.

Heres mine from the otherweek,note he didnt/wouldnt rev it above 7.500 because it was vibrating the whole bike,which i was told was due to the crank being out of balance.
So gonna get it done again on saturday after ive fited me race cans
Here mine,

As you can see it was running piss week low down,but i put that down to the bigbore needing more fuel.
philattersall
On the Road

Post by philattersall »

Sorry for the poor quality.

Ignore the green lines, their of a zx6r 06' model. My friend has one, and was just wondering how it compares to hers. it of course beats the raptor for power once it rev's to 11,000 rpm. Never matches it on torque mind!

anyway

TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

Assuming your the red line in the graph's,
Your a/f ratio low down is still abit bad.
Just compare it to the 6R and you see what i mean phil.
should be between around 14/1 the closer to 14/1 the better,so its still weak at the bottomend.
You really need to invest in a pc2 mate to get it near perfect.
What did they put the yoshi settings at, was it +5+10+5 (comon settings) or did they use the new dynojet setup they got(more adjustable)
philattersall
On the Road

Post by philattersall »

They put it at 5+ at the bottom end

The dyno was done before they changed it.