Dead V-Rap 1000

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
taz_116
On the Road

Dead V-Rap 1000

Post by taz_116 »

Well i was on my way to work this morning on the bike when it just died.

It started up first go, warmed up and off we went. Got about 3.5 miles away from home and nothing, wouldn't mind but i was doing about 30mph when it happened. It was if someone had turned off the ignition. No lights, no power no nothing.

Anyone had this happen to them?

Charging the battery at the moment but after a weekend of riding and starting first time i cannot see how a flat battery would kill the bike whilst it was being ridden?

Help please.......... :(
Burn Rubber, Not Your Soul

2001 V-Raptor 1000, K&N Air Filter & TRE
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Re: Dead V-Rap 1000

Post by TLMONKEY »

taz_116 wrote:55 years agoWell i was on my way to work this morning on the bike when it just died.

It started up first go, warmed up and off we went. Got about 3.5 miles away from home and nothing, wouldn't mind but i was doing about 30mph when it happened. It was if someone had turned off the ignition. No lights, no power no nothing.

Anyone had this happen to them?

Charging the battery at the moment but after a weekend of riding and starting first time i cannot see how a flat battery would kill the bike whilst it was being ridden?

Help please.......... :(
Deffo, not gonna be a flat battery bud,
First try/check battery connection's,then main 30amp fuse on the starter solenoid.also check that the main plug(big round 1) under the tank that sits on top of the airbox hasnt come apart(happened to me once)
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

Did the dash 'die', with the engine? if not, then it's not main power failure, or the abovementioned plug - if it did, then it could be!
The anti-tip sensor (Under the tank, behind the steering head) cuts off fuel & sparks, if it thinks the bike has fallen (Could be stuck/broken). Cdi units can die, without notice (Hope not, they're not cheap). Have you tried TL Monkeys's plug short, to get the error code? I wouldn't dream of suggesting to check you've got fuel...... (Bulbs can blow!)
Buggers to push, aren't they!
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
taz_116
On the Road

Post by taz_116 »

Right. I have had the bike on the old Optimate and the battery won't charge. Lucky for me its still under warrenty.

Took the battery to the garage who have tried to charge the battery but have just rung and said that the battery is scrap and will not take any charge. New battery on charge as we speak.

I am hoping and praying its the battery, appears to be the original one from 2001. If not need to look at the charging system from the bike.

I have checked all the fuses just in case and all are fine. Thanks TLMonkey. I really am hoping it is just a dead battery.

Steve, a bugger to push isn't the word. How can such a relativly small bike be such a b*tch to push? I broke down at the bottom of a bleeding hill as well :?

Will let you know how things go when the battery is back on tomorrow.

Si

stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

I know, I know. When my battery died, I was in work (Never a hint, beforehand). Came back to click, click. Luckily, 2 friends push started me, but I'd forgotten the dreaded Yellow fuel light was on. Dilemma, do I try to get home, or do I stop for fuel.....?
Stress was too great, had to stop, battery still dead, so I had to push the little treasure up a hill, to run down & bump. Didn't work the first, or second time, the third was a real treat, thankfully she fired B4 I pegged it!! :wink:
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
taz_116
On the Road

Post by taz_116 »

Right. The garage under warrenty have replaced the battery and i have now put it on the bike. Well after 9 cycles of protesting Datatool alarm that is...... :oops: Forgot to leave it in service mode......

Anyway the bike lives :D The battery was so knackered that it shut everything down. No battery no fuel injection no electricity no bike. Great. This is the first injected bike i have had so its all new to me. :?

Taking the bike in next Sat to get the charging system checked out by the garage to make sure everything is all in tip top condition.

Also learn't a good lesson. Take out breakdown!!!! Just covered myslelf and the wife for personal cover and the car and the bike with GreenFlag for less than £9 per month! Bargain!

Right off to buy one of those Tail Tidys from Ebay. They look smart!

bolero
On the Road

Post by bolero »

Hi..

Happened to me a couple of times... There is connection behind the n/s side panel that had come undone on mine.. ended up cable tie'ing it together.. I think it comes from the finned thing.. (voltage regulator?)

Might be worth a look!