Running problem

General spannery stuff
pod
On the Road

temperature switch

Post by pod »

Dont know if you have a thou or a 650?

But the fuel injected 650 SVs have a temperature switch , probably in the coolant system, this will change the fuel map, sounds like the problem with the change at 82 C.
have agood look at the coolant pipeworks work some sort of electric gadget, then pull the wires and find the switch state with an ohmmeter, try it at above 82 as well and see if it is changing state/ switching.
If its not the switch then it could be a fault in the fuel map.
Thats my best guess. I imagine the FI thous are similar.
Cheers
pod
Stay calm.
Amanda M
On the Road

Post by Amanda M »

Hi folks.

Wreckah, the clutch switch is fine, I checked it at the weekend :(

I did dealer mode on it and apparently there's nowt wrong with it, which is bullshit :evil:

POD, do you have any clues as to where the temp sensor is on the raptor 1000? I don't want to have to pull everything to pieces to find it if someone knows where it is already :wink:

Amanda
pod
On the Road

Sorry

Post by pod »

Hi amanda
Cant help with location , I dont have a thou, the 650 I have is carbed. Im just trying to help with diagnosis, what you said about the temp sensitivity means to me it has to be a dodgy low running setting.
The temp pick up thing might not be in the cooling circuit it could also be in the castings of the head or other hot bit. Really needs someone with detailed knowledgs of the thou.
Of course I could be totally wrong and it may be some electrical gadget but they usually get worse instead of better when they heat up.
You can test this with a can of cooling stuff you spray on gadgets , get the bike up to temp then lift the saddle and spray the "brain " box for the FI and see if the running goes lumpy again.
Before you go raj on the fiddly stuff it would be a good thing to check basics like water in fuel and sparkplugs , take the easy ones first.
Cheers
pod
Stay calm.
Amanda M
On the Road

Post by Amanda M »

Cheers Pod :)

Water in the fuel and the plugs were the first things we checked, and I definately agree with what you say about the temp sensitivity. The guys on TLzone have been giving me pointers as to where everything is and temp/resistance maps for it so we might get somewhere eventually.

Thanks for all your suggestions though, it's much appreciated!

Amanda
RaptorMan
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: John Hocking Raptorman

Post by RaptorMan »

Hi amanda,I will have a look at mine and find out where temp switch is for you. :idea:
Be Loud Be Proud Be Heard
2002 V RAP 1000,Raucous,Rebellious and Hooliganistic
1997 BLACKBIRD,Quiet,Refined and Comfortable
RaptorMan
On the Road

Post by RaptorMan »

Hi amanda,here are a couple of pics of the temp sensor.Its dead easy to get to,just above bottom hose,dunno where the wires finish off,disappear into the middle of the bike.
Click on the pics for full size version

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
Aussie Shagger
On the Road

Post by Aussie Shagger »

I think you need to clean your bike mate....
Don't ya just dig a round-a-bout!.....2003 Xtra Raptor (222/999), Gold Renthal Bars, Giannelli Pipes, Throttle Rocker, Ventura Rack, Blue LED Instrument Panel, Headlight Protector, LED Tail Light.
RaptorMan
On the Road

Post by RaptorMan »

Used all year round and just got back from rally when pic taken.
pod
On the Road

Not FI switch

Post by pod »

Thats not the Fi sensor , I think its the fan switch.
Cheers
pod
Stay calm.
Brihass
On the Road

Post by Brihass »

pod is correct, that is the fan switch sensor.

the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor is located on the TL1000 engines, either

in the left hand side of the radiator on the TL1000S-V,

or in the thermostat housing on all other models - and this probably applies to the raptor.

you can check the wiring to the switch for corrosion or loose connections etc.

or you can test the switch as you would with a thermostat, but using a pan of hot oil and an ohmmeter.

regards

Brihass
140/999 Xtra Raptor.....Carbon Quill Cans, Carbon Hugger, Carbon Rear Guard, Carbon Bar End Mirrors, Renthal Bars, Belly Pan, Power Commander, K&N, TRE, Iridium Plugs, Silicon Leads, 2CT's.
Amanda M
On the Road

Post by Amanda M »

Hi folks,

I spoke to someone about it on saturday who's well into V-twins and especially TLs (cheers Blim :D ) and he thinks it's a cold start sensor problem. I'm taking it to them next weekend to see what he can do but he thinks it's definately easily fixable.

I'll let you know how it gets on so fingers crossed!

Cheers everyone 8)

Amanda
JimBo
On the Road

Post by JimBo »

Good luck with it Amanda.
So many motorcycles, so little money!
ozzy
On the Road

Post by ozzy »

I know you said you had clecked the plug cap and plug, but never aless change them both.you have already stated you had problems there before and cured them with silicone.plug caps breakdown,they should have a resistor in them if proper one fitted,if thats shorting inside it will run better when hot as everything expands,in the wet wiether hot or not moister will get into fractures and cause shorting.for just over a tenner change them both to be sure.cured my problems when i had similar problems.
miss v-raptor1000

Post by miss v-raptor1000 »

Hi Amanda,
Did you manage to clear the problem you were having with your raptor if not, look at the post i put on this site about my partners raptor 1000 (posted 20 jan 2006 miss v-raptor 1000).
We tried everything with the help of TLmonkey but nothing would cure it, until i tried the Atmospheric Pressure Sensor which is located in the air box, there are about 4 sensors in the air box, i got a complete air box of e-bay and fitted that, cured immediatly at a cost of £10.00 plus P&P, if you would like some help or want to try sensors out of the old air box then give us a ring on 07970565909 glad to help (we live in west lancashire).
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

miss v-raptor1000 wrote:55 years agoHi Amanda,
Did you manage to clear the problem you were having with your raptor if not, look at the post i put on this site about my partners raptor 1000 (posted 20 jan 2006 miss v-raptor 1000).
We tried everything with the help of TLmonkey but nothing would cure it, until i tried the Atmospheric Pressure Sensor which is located in the air box, there are about 4 sensors in the air box, i got a complete air box of e-bay and fitted that, cured immediatly at a cost of £10.00 plus P&P, if you would like some help or want to try sensors out of the old air box then give us a ring on glad to help (we live in west lancashire).
I've got another airbox amanda ya can try to see if it is or isnt the aps.If ya pop down on bike i will change them over for ya while ya wait,also got a few other sensor's we can swop around and try.
Let me know,
IAN(07920)