TL 1000s

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

TL 1000s

Post by shebee »

Im in the bar so the tequila bottle is open and ready... whilst we are here..

Snappy and I have just returned from a few days playing playing on the green edged twisties in the Belgian Ardennes (and for those who have never been - GO PLAY - Great twisties, wonderfull weather, cold beer, hot frittes and mayo, fantastic screnery (allegedly), some of the surfaces are a bit ish but normally when they want you to slow down anyway like in villages and on sharp corners on sheer hillsides )

Significant Other's S3 Buell was suffering from the heat and the gearing meant he was fighting to keep up with the Raptors round the real twisties. So he is contemplating a different bike to come play with us...

He is a far better (more insane) rider than I am but my suggestion of a V Raptor with one plug removed or a 650 Raptor didn't go down too well :P

He doesnt think his lisence will take the tempation of a Raptor, wants reasonable 2 up capability and serious luggage capacity (for my European shopping) and besides its a bit 'his and hers' - and so we were considering a TL 1000 of some variation - any hints and tips on what to look for what to give a miss to from the TL owners here? I know I should be asking on a TL site, but Im scared of them :roll: and I know you lot are sound :D

ta
steve996
On the Road

re fun in belgium

Post by steve996 »

cant help you with your tl stuff,but i can only nod in sage agreement about riding in belgium.did a trackday at spa franorchamps and spent acouple of days hooning about on the belgian twisties(the roads are nearly as good as the track itself),the beer is oh so strong and the frites are ace,its so good it should be available on the nhs.by the way sheb can you host some raptor trackday pics for me-see ya
shebee
Site Admin

Post by shebee »

NOD NOD we were based about 10 miles from there:) ... some of the corners feel like they are 360degrees and you cannot work out why you are not back where you started! ... Sorry I cant host piccies on herer at the momemt - but there are some others out there with space!! .... awaits voulenteers :)
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Re: TL 1000s

Post by TLMONKEY »

shebee wrote:55 years ago' - and so we were considering a TL 1000 of some variation - any hints and tips on what to look for what to give a miss to from the TL owners here? I know I should be asking on a TL site, but Im scared of them :roll: and I know you lot are sound :D

ta
I've got a nice tlr giong v.cheap mate if interested.
It's a 2003,52 plate blue/white.
Need's tax/m.o.t.
Bog standard except for having blackwheel's(normally white as standard ) Top fairing has a crack on the rightside (hard to see unless looking for it)
Fork's have been modded for better handing/adjustment by fitting gixer 1000k4 internals and tops/caps.
£2700.

Let me know if ya interested:)
shebee
Site Admin

Post by shebee »

ahh - TLMoron speaking here - thanks for that but I suspect its too faired for his style - was the S the unfaired version - or was that the one that wobbled and spat peeps off?

What was the Cagiva big trialie with the TL motor (twitches at thought of more dealings with 3X :shock: )
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

What was the Cagiva big trialie with the TL motor (twitches at thought of more dealings with 3X )
Cagiva Trailie job was the Navigator i thinks, and the engine also lives in the Vstrom
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

shebee wrote:55 years ago 1) was the S the unfaired version - 2) or was that the one that wobbled and spat peeps off?
1) YES, and 2) YES
shebee
Site Admin

Post by shebee »

TLMONKEY wrote:55 years ago
shebee wrote:55 years ago 1) was the S the unfaired version - 2) or was that the one that wobbled and spat peeps off?
1) YES, and 2) YES
Ahh and does the vstrom have the same 'challenges?'
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

good to hear you enjoyed the ardennes :)

TL's are great bikes, here's a quick overview:

TLS = half faired trellis framed and 125hp engine tuned for more midrange
TLR = fully faired box section frame, 135hp, more top-end but less bottom and midrange, and (sorry monkey ;) ) a heavy pig! :D

I had (and still have one as racebike) a TLS, and i loved it. (i only rode a TLR once and didn't like it as much. The 'S' is more of a beast ;) )

TL's need care though, you have to keep her well maintained.

The problems with the frames cracking are a result of a faulty mounting of the rear damper (needs to be shimmed). Mine never cracked. The rear damper itself is also pretty bad: harsh damping when cold, and no damping when warm, and everything in between. The rear damper is also the culprit for it's tankslapping reputation. Stock steering damper prevents this, but makes the ride heavier.

A replacement rear shock is the best mod money can buy; it cures all of the problems mentioned above.

The 'R' doesn't have these problems, but the rear damper is also the weakest link on the bike.

Otherwise no issues with these bikes. There's a ton of little mods you can do (which do make a change), and a huge online community to help you. (and lots of second hand parts going around)
examples:
- fit 180 tire instead of 190
- sprocket change
- airbox mods
- put lighter oil in steering damper
- put TLR brakes on the TLS, and fit steel braided lines

Build quality is suzuki standard ;) :roll:

cheers, jan
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

here's a piccie of the 'S's i had :)

Vstroms don't have the suspension issues by the way, they seem to be very good bikes.
shebee
Site Admin

Post by shebee »

OK we seem to have a descision - we went to the local dealer today 'to have a sit on a V-strom'

.... his eyes glazed over and he started grinning - I think this may be detrimental to the bank balance!!

... we did at least walk away without him actualy buying it - but I suspect that if it had be a demo one I'd be making space in the garage now whilst he was out playing :wink:

Sooo does anyone want an Red S3 Buell, slighty used, brand new back tyre (puncture 12 hours before the belgium ferry!) ... sensible price to a good home! 8) Genuine reason for sale.... :P
Adam
On the Road

Post by Adam »

Stick the S3 on ukbeg.com tell them I sent you :lol:
You'll be asked about recalls and upgrades ie rear shock, rear isolators and primary chain tensioner :wink: :lol:
Always be the person your dog thinks you are.
shebee
Site Admin

Post by shebee »

Thanks Adam - He needs to clean it first!

Recalls - all done I think (primary chain tensioner??) including the original white power shock, tank mount and rear isolators replaced.
Adam
On the Road

Post by Adam »

shebee wrote:55 years agoThanks Adam - He needs to clean it first!

Recalls - all done I think (primary chain tensioner??) including the original white power shock, tank mount and rear isolators replaced.
There were two recalls on the rear shock :shock: :lol: the latest was the K1400c kit. The later tensioner is essential, the earlier one breaks with very few miles on it and fubars the gearbox :cry: Have a search around on our site and you'll find a picture of the two tensioners side by side for comparison. If you know what you're looking for you can tell by only removing the clutch cover.
Always be the person your dog thinks you are.