raptor problem

General spannery stuff
miss v-raptor1000

raptor problem

Post by miss v-raptor1000 »

here we have a problem with a 1000 V raptor and would like any suggestions to fix,
Problem: Bike starts with no problem but runs a bit lumpy on the front cylinder wether cold or hot, if you open the throttle to 3000 revs and hold it there within 30 seconds the front cylinder kicks in as it should be and revs to 4500 revs, this is without increasing the throttle position,
this happens wether stationary or riding, we have changed the plugs, swapped the plug caps, its not down to stale fuel or water
PS the rear cylinder has no problems
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

You might wanna check your coils to make sure that they are 1) not loose on the frame and/or (as with mine) one of the connections is loose from the coil to the loom)
I had i similar fault with mine and it also use to only fire on one cylinder everytime it rained,i changed plugs,still there,so one day while bored at work i thought to check connections on the coils(The two single wire spade ones) and low and behold one of them was loose to the point were i could just slide it off/on,so i removed it,crimped it a bit an refitted it,now it fits nice and tight and never had the problem since.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I reckon you're right TL - mine did that as well mostly when going downhill and left for some reason (probably gravity :roll: - and it was the spade connector to the coil
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

Yep,
Drove me nuts for 2 weeks or so,its never good when you are overtaking a car in the rain and bike goes onto 1 cylinder and cars are coming towards you at 70-80mph down duelcarrageway:(
miss v-raptor1000

Post by miss v-raptor1000 »

Hi
Thanks for the sugestions, have already checked the conections to the coils and they were OK, im going to book it in at FW Developments near Garstang Lancs for a run on their Dyno, they should be able to tell whether it is fuel or electrical. By the way we read the post on a run out to Devils Bridge and would be interested but first got to get the raptor sorted
ozzy
On the Road

Post by ozzy »

buy new caps, no point in swapping them.plug caps get hair line fractures,just because the back cylinder does not now have the problem does not mean the caps ok,rear cylinder stays dry so water wont get into those cracks to make it arc out.rear cylinder has less veltilation so is more likely to get heat fractures, which will cause problems when putting it in front,which is more exposed to damp and wet.when i first got mine it went onto one cylinder evertime it rained.i did same as you,same results.brought new cap and new sealing rubber (ventilated gromit between cap and cylinder,but a bit of silicone around where lead goes into rubber on cap and a bit on inside of rubber that goes over plug.2 years later no problem.for a very little money atleast properly rule out plug caps.they should atleast be changed every cpl of years as they breakdown,positioning of front cap will always hieghlight this.
raptor001
On the Road

Post by raptor001 »

Hi can anyone tell me where the coils are?
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

raptor001 wrote:55 years agoHi can anyone tell me where the coils are?
The 2 grey coloured things bolted to the rightside engine/frame mount that goes from the rear to front cylinder.
Got an old pic here somewhere...................................
Give me a sec...................................................

Ah!!!
Here it is,knew i had it somewhere :lol:

wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

check the clutch switch too.

if it's broken, your bike might run the wrong mapping, and cause the '3000RPM kick in the butt launch' . That's what was wrong with mine. Just FYI :)
Amanda M
On the Road

Post by Amanda M »

wreckah wrote:55 years agocheck the clutch switch too.

if it's broken, your bike might run the wrong mapping, and cause the '3000RPM kick in the butt launch' . That's what was wrong with mine. Just FYI :)
The TPS being broken on mine caused that too :wink: Yep, it finally got fixed.
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

allrightie amanda!
glad to hear you got it sorted :)

that means you haven't sold it? 8)
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Amanda M wrote:55 years ago
wreckah wrote:55 years agocheck the clutch switch too.

The TPS being broken on mine caused that too :wink: Yep, it finally got fixed.
:D oooo :shock: Fixed , working? riding it? having fun? (I do hope so) 8)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
raptor001
On the Road

Post by raptor001 »

Are the coils in the same position for the 650? I had a look but couldn't see anything. Do I have to take off the fuel tank?
pod
On the Road

650 coils

Post by pod »

On the 650 th coils are on the LHS. Mounted on brackets on the lower frame tube beside the rear cylinder.
Not easy to get to, the frot coil unbolts from below , the rear coil from above, you need to lift the tank and fight with the wiring loom for access to the rear coil. Checking the connections is OK when still in position.
Cheers
Pod
Stay calm.
Amanda M
On the Road

Post by Amanda M »

wreckah wrote:55 years agoallrightie amanda!
glad to hear you got it sorted :)

that means you haven't sold it? 8)
Hey Wreckah :D How's life treating you?

Not sold the raptor yet anyway :wink: I need to get out and play a bit and see if I still like/trust it and then make a decision. I'll probably end up keeping it because everything else is either boring or has a silly riding position!