Engine smoke

General spannery stuff
RaptorMan
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: John Hocking Raptorman

Engine smoke

Post by RaptorMan »

My friend Hazells V Rap has started blue smoking on the overrun.
Its only done about 6000mls and doesn`t get ridden that hard.
I have just serviced it for her and found an alarming amount of water in the fuel.
I am hoping it just needs a good blast to bust any glaze that might be on the bores but was wondering if the water could have damaged the bore lining as they are nicasil plated aren`t they :?:
Any comments and suggestions :idea: welcomed.
Be Loud Be Proud Be Heard
2002 V RAP 1000,Raucous,Rebellious and Hooliganistic
1997 BLACKBIRD,Quiet,Refined and Comfortable
Cavia
On the Road

Post by Cavia »

Hi

I've been a mechanic on large diesel engines (locomotives)
water in your fuel is not too bad for your cilinders in a petrol engine (if it has been running ok all these times)
but blue smoke means oil is burnt so you should check oil consumption
It could be caused by a few things:

Oil level too high so it comes out of your crankcase breather and in your airbox/air filter ( easy to check) and oil sploshes to the underside of the pistons and too much oil reaches the cilinder walls
so your piston rings can't keep up.

Piston rings "stuck" because of carbon deposits (could be caused by the above) so they don't work as they should

Piston ring broken (not very likely)

Valve seal damaged (also not very likely)

you could check the air filter on oil traces, check spark plugs on colour (no white specks or greasy or matt black and then you can see if it's one or both cilinders :idea: )
Shouldn't take long to check

But if it is running OK maybe it will just disappear on a long nice motorway trip since it's not been used very intensely ,used to work miracles on my carbon infested GT 750 :P

cheers
No bike is ever finished!