Howdy from Perth - Western Australia

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
c-red
On the Road

Howdy from Perth - Western Australia

Post by c-red »

Howdy All,
Thank God I found this site - I have all these questions - and as we all know information on the Raptor is pretty thin on the deck.
I havent actually got my Raptor as yet - I'm currently negotiating on a Black '01 with 4500km on the clock and Sil Moto cans.
I come from a modified car background - some of my cars have been featured in Banzai magazine for all you Brits. Fairly quick stuff - 10 and 11 second stuff for the most part.
Will try and search to find what I'm after and keep the noob posts to a minimum.
Jash
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Welcome in Jash - search away there's lots of info in here :D

01 with 4500Km ??? sheeeet was the owner in jail??????
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
c-red
On the Road

Post by c-red »

Thanks Snapdragon - I want to know where to find the missing 10 or 15 wheel horsepower the Raptor is missing over the TLS - and what adjustable forks fit in the standard triple clamps...
Apparently was an old guy from Kalgoorlie and given that Kal is in the middle of the desert there arent many nice places to ride...
As for jail I fear it will be me in the joint - its hard enough keeping my licence on 4 wheels - let alone the back one on a Raptor...
Jash
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

BHP? It's hidden away in the midrange Jash,
I heard the tested top speed on a racing Raptor was 177mph - guess that works out at about 280 odd aussie kliks
Baines Racing know about it - they were involved in racing the Raptors a couple of years ago.

for myself, I reckon my head would blow off :shock: at that sort of speed
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
JimBo
On the Road

Post by JimBo »

Welcome Jash, prepare for smiles :D .

I'm with Snapdragon on the BHP issue. My naked Raptor is plenty powerful enough for me and the roads of south east England, with the grunt right where I want it, in the middle. It might be different for you Antipodeans, with your miles and miles of open road, especially in the Perth area I've heard.

I must get to Australia one day. Keep a beer ready for me . :wink:
So many motorcycles, so little money!
Shlockengronk
On the Road

Post by Shlockengronk »

Sandgropers bring em on.......welcome Jash, check out some of TL Monkeys posts, he's into some good mods, also Matho from streetbike magazine a few years ago fitted TLR pistons ported heads big cams etc etc and modified the airbox to fit a commodore filter with good results.........Jimbo the beers are in the fridge when you get to the east coast, come on over
Life starts at 45.......................degrees
c-red
On the Road

Post by c-red »

Guys,
Thanks for the posts. Yeah I appreciate the midrange, but a little more top end wouldnt go astray either. From what I've read they nobbled the Raptor in the top end with head flow, pistons and tuning the exhaust for midrange. I'm more your urban streetmonkey type rider - If I wanted to go for top end speeds I'd have trumped up for a K5 Gixxer thou.
Plenty of beer here Jimbo, there are more Microbreweries around here now than I can count - Find yourself a Little Creatures Pale Ale to sample what it tastes like.
Jash
booah
On the Road

Did you find the power?

Post by booah »

Hi C-red

Just joined up and was reading your post and its the same thing I was looking for. Had my VRaptor out at barbagellos 2 years ago and my biggest worry there was the wobble in the front end in 6th down the back straight at the top of the hill.

Emailed a guy named Ben at Extreme creations in the east and he made the air box spoken of earlier. He gave me a price of 700$ if he can find the mould.

Have you had the bike on the track?
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

i think the power difference is mostly due to TLS power figures reading at the crank, and raptor figures at the rear wheel.

it certainly feels as powerful as my 98 TLS, though the gearing is different, so not that easy to compare. The 97 TLS is a different beast though ;)
c-red
On the Road

Post by c-red »

Finally got the Raptor...Its been resprayed in gloss black, and my god its loud with those Sil Moto cans on. Its quite snatchy on the throttle though. I think a TPS reset and a Power Commander are on the horizon. In the interim though I'm very much enjoying looking at it.
Anyone have any idea how many 1000cc Raptors there are in Perth?
Jash
Shlockengronk
On the Road

Post by Shlockengronk »

your it i think mate but you got vee two over there dont ya, they do magic to twins.......gotta get to barbagello one day
Life starts at 45.......................degrees
c-red
On the Road

Post by c-red »

I cant ever recall seeing one on the road.
Have spent many an hour at Wanneroo - though usually on 4 wheels - and mostly like this: http://images.franzonline.net/2006-04-1 ... g_4146.jpg
Jash