Buying a V Raptor

Chat about anything
bolero
On the Road

Buying a V Raptor

Post by bolero »

Hello..

Today... I hope to buy a V-Raptor thou.. any advice from you lot would be most appreciated...

I have a 2001 / red / 4000 miles at £3500 and a 2000 / red / 6000 miles to consider.. I dont really understand why the older bike is more expensive...?

Thanks in advance
Steve
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Me either Steve :? Welcome by the way :D - and apologies for not answering sooner (although i think i did on raptormania)
- is the older bike a V and the newer a Normale? or has one of them been "personalised"? :shock: , what is the price of the other one?
Mine is a 2001 with alot alot of miles on it and is lovely.

At 4 or 6 thousand miles they have hardly settled yet and either should be good as long as they have a decent service history, been looked after and have the appropriate adjustments (rear disc and radiator both bracket mods I think) if the chain is the original it may need a new one as they are not the best as standard, (mayhap the older one has a new chain/sprocket set)
hope you chose one and like it - in which case welcome to grin city :lol: wherabouts you getting it from?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
bolero
On the Road

I have a V-Raptor

Post by bolero »

Im in Love!!!...

I bought the 2001 model... and rode it home.. what a bike!!.. I can hardly get my crash helmet off because of my smile... This is the feeling that all bikers should have.. I bought the bike from Castle Motorcyles in Castleford. Yorkshire. It has a full service history.. and is very very clean.. has not really been used hard I think.. the previous owner traded it against a BMW.. I ended up paying £3350.. which seems pretty fair for the year..

Stuff I noticed on the ride home:

The mirrors just kinda automatically retract at 130MPH.. lol almost a design feature to go faster... but is there a way of stopping this happening?

It needs a little screen I think... cos its bloody hard to hold on to at those speeds... the front end feels a bit vague also at 110mph+ especially on the bends.. I think tho that first I will check the tyre pressures etc..

It loves fuel... I emptied the tank in less than a 100miles..

Everyone who sees it smiles..

I wish I'd bought one years ago..

Now.. lets all go for a rideout

I need I think.. noiser exhausts.. and maybe shorter legs.. Jeez those footpegs feel high...

Thank you...Its great to be part of this raptormania!!

Can someone tell me about the mods I can do.. I've heard something about removing the 'snorkels'.. Whatever they are
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the asylum!
bolero
On the Road

Post by bolero »

Thank you... it seems like a great place to be..

Its been about 7 hours since I got home.. maybe now its about time i stopped going outside just to look at my beautiful bike..

Hope its sunny tomorrow
JimBo
On the Road

Post by JimBo »

Welcome Bolero. I haven't had my Raptor 1000 long, and the grin doesn't wear off :D .

Yes, the pegs do feel high (6ft tall) but I never feel uncomfortable. I suppose its because I'm having so much fun I don't notice 8) .

Try tightening the locknuts on the mirrors. Worked for me.
So many motorcycles, so little money!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

:lol: :lol: glad you did it :D

Mirrors at 130? :shock: - loctite on the grubscrews
Screen is available i saw one at my local bike shop in a catalogue
Peg height - it'll grow on you :wink: and the front does feel light as the fuel goes down - fill up more often, or hoik the rear sussie
Cans? well take your pick but the ART ones are too loud (from someone who followed Richie on a ride out)
Not really been used hard??? or hardly at all :o 4000 you say?? it's still running in :shock: becomes even more sweet at about 8000
and the snorkels ? make hardly any difference but they keep the water out

Have Fun :D 8)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Shlockengronk
On the Road

Post by Shlockengronk »

welcome, bring on the pipes let the world hear that sweet sound 8)
Life starts at 45.......................degrees
bolero
On the Road

Post by bolero »

Thanks all of you...

Im gonna go and glue my mirror.. (for it is only the n/s that seems to move.. so far!)

Any more info on that screen would be much appreciated.. I really think I need that. I think maybe some of the front end nervousness is from me holding on to the bars tightly cos of the windblast..

Read the manual last night for about the nth time.. even the manual is fun.. anyway.. noticed the tyre pressures seem to be set quite low.. do you lot run as recommended....

Its gonna be a day of shakedown runs..!
ayuluv
On the Road

Post by ayuluv »

hey man.. congratez.. am from singapore.. but alotz din noe its a 1000cc
rappy... haha... alotz when shocked after i told them ...
or the worse is the way i move off from the traffic light...
they r gone.. keke..

its too fun.. cant bear to sell it off...
mayb will .. but den get a newer onez... hehe..
mayb xtra rappy?? :roll:
ozzy
On the Road

noisy exhausts

Post by ozzy »

if you want some good after market exhausts,in the general chat section here there is a post for cheap akroprovic exhausts.andy who posted it still has carbon and titanium full race exhausts.they are £450,£5 postage.no need to re tune the bike,checked that with forza.they are usually over £900.will add more power and sound alot better.they are marked not for road use,but this is only acid etched on and will polish out.they also dont have the decibell eater on them that newer akroprovics do have.forza said they will certainly add more power than adding a power commander would.though the commander would make the trottle response smoother.im doing both.
ayuluv
On the Road

Re: noisy exhausts

Post by ayuluv »

ozzy wrote:55 years agoif you want some good after market exhausts,in the general chat section here there is a post for cheap akroprovic exhausts.andy who posted it still has carbon and titanium full race exhausts.they are £450,£5 postage.no need to re tune the bike,checked that with forza.they are usually over £900.will add more power and sound alot better.they are marked not for road use,but this is only acid etched on and will polish out.they also dont have the decibell eater on them that newer akroprovics do have.forza said they will certainly add more power than adding a power commander would.though the commander would make the trottle response smoother.im doing both.
hmm... the rappy akra dun haf a street legal bcos the sales was not
dat great really... the market is too small for the akra for rappy..
as compared to the jap bikez... datz y they din make one for them...
unless alot ppl support the akra s/o for rappy.. dat will b a way diff
case...
ozzy
On the Road

Post by ozzy »

ayuluv,why would you want street legal pipes,they only inhibit performance.plus the sound a big v twin makes is such a nice sound why stiffle it.akro,s have a small acid etched "not for road use" on the rivit band.you can easily polish this out,or just buy from akro new rivit bands and replace the etched ones.or even get them stamped with the original raptor end can nos.keep old ones for mot to be on safe side.if you want road legal pipes dont change the original ones,they are as good as any aftermarket ones.just poorer performance than race slip ones.
ayuluv
On the Road

Post by ayuluv »

ozzy wrote:55 years agoayuluv,why would you want street legal pipes,they only inhibit performance.plus the sound a big v twin makes is such a nice sound why stiffle it.akro,s have a small acid etched "not for road use" on the rivit band.you can easily polish this out,or just buy from akro new rivit bands and replace the etched ones.or even get them stamped with the original raptor end can nos.keep old ones for mot to be on safe side.if you want road legal pipes dont change the original ones,they are as good as any aftermarket ones.just poorer performance than race slip ones.
oh.. i nid to c the s/o when it arrive. cos i also got one ...
not sure if stampin will spoil the luk of the s/o...