Winter riding

Chat about anything
gjohnp37

Winter riding

Post by gjohnp37 »

I just felt i had to comment about the general finish of my 2001 V Rap.
After reading plenty of comments about frames rusting, fasteners coroding etc, i was expecting the worst this winter, as i ride to work and back every day come rain or snow (except here in the deepest south we never see hardly a snowflake, and what does fall never settles, much to the annoyance of my kids!).
It gets an occasional hose-down to get the salt off and a chain lube, and it looks as good as when i bought it last summer! It looks easily as good as my last Honda (which is supposed to be better built than most) and every other bike i've had over the years.
Perhaps riding it through the winter is easier on the bike than letting the damp air in the garage have its evil way for 6 months of the year.
Anyway, i've still not hankered after another race-rep as i thought i might, so it looks like a beautiful relationship has blossomed.
:D
ozzy
On the Road

Post by ozzy »

not had a problem with the frame,but when the footpeg hangers decide there times up,the paint just flakes off.so if you have any scratches on them i advise you put something like the wifes clear nail vanish over them.keep damp out.if there clean dont let anyone on it with sratchy bits on boots.wife has metal bits on her boots,where them have rubbed paint is now flaking off.even worse no one seems to know of a paint match to touch them up.i given up looking.
snapdragon

Re: Winter riding

Post by snapdragon »

gjohnp37 wrote:55 years agoPerhaps riding it through the winter is easier on the bike than letting the damp air in the garage have its evil way for 6 months of the year.
:D
I guess you are right there, but I need to look under the muck and WD40 to check :D
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Amanda M
On the Road

Post by Amanda M »

I only bought mine in january and haven't ridden it much but everytime I've ridden it I've cleaned it well and coated it with Scottoil anti-rot stuff and it has still started rotting in places (including an oil cooler line...grrrr...). maybe the roads up north are saltier? I dunno, but I'd hate to think what it would look like if I'd have ridden it every day :o
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

:( poor Raptor - all they want to do is go out to play :lol:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
bolero
On the Road

Post by bolero »

I also have a VFR VTEC on 02 plate... and that has completely turned to shit this winter.. fasteners are furred... forks and disc hangers rusty etc and so on...

and Hondas are supposedly better built?