bucking/Kangarooing on Full throttle

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Stickystuff

Post by Stickystuff »

Hi All,

New to the Raptor. I have recently bought a Y reg Raptor and its got a few quirks. The paint work is pretty awful and it doesn't look overly great and mechanically its leaking oil and the back brake sticks on. All easily resolvable with some time in the workshop.

But the biggest issue I am facing that I can't figure out, is above 7K-RPM, the bike wants to buck me off at wide open throttle. On 50-60% throttle it will accelerate quickly but as soon as I get above 7k I need to open the throttle more for the air flow but it won't keep pulling it basically kangaroo's on-off-on-off-on-off until I release the throttle. It doesn't matter what speed I am doing but it's the same always above 7K revs and larger throttle.

I heard that the throttle position sensor sometimes needs calibrating but mostly only effects lower/idle speeds. Can anyone shed any light on this? I must admit I have not taken the bike apart yet as I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

Thanks in Advance
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

The symptoms you are describing are usually associated with fuel starvation/restricted fuel flow or breathing issues with the tank. I would be checking for kinked fuel lines and fuel tank breather hose. If nothing comes to light with the lines, I would check the fuel pump for a blocked-up filter (which is in the pump assembly body inside the tank).
Look on the Suzuki VTwin forums (vStrom, TL1000, etc) for a workaround to convert to an external Bosch fuel filter. Quite a common problem and the conversion is waaayy cheaper than replacing the whole pump assembly.
Stickystuff

Post by Stickystuff »

Thanks for the reply John.

It happened a week or so back and the fuel light was on so I thought that it was just low on fuel and Saturday was the first time I rode it properly after filling up. It makes sense to be lack of fuel.

I will look in to the external pump system.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Yeah, fuel system sounds to be the right call.

You may find if the bike has been standing that's it's just horrid old fuel and as said a load of crud blocking the pump filter or perhaps even water ingress.