First post - good to find the Forum

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
Giocast
On the Road

Re: First post - good to find the Forum

Post by Giocast »

Thank you snapdragon, most informative. Being delivered this weekend as part of the deal, a genuine bloke by all accounts - I don't know if he's reading this but said he'd 'had the carbs cleaned' and at that stage I wasn't sure if early ones were inj or carb (early 650 was?). He's in the trade and has totally restored many bikes so am mystified at the mo. With that mileage it had stood for around 6 years so sounds as though it didn't run right to begin with, will tell you how i get on. It has a (very sensitive) Datatool alarm on at the moment which will probably get ripped out as soon as possible as it just becomes a nuisance to all other bikers when parked let alone me! I have read as many road tests as possible so far but need to confirm if the 105 (approx) brake is at the engine or at the back wheel. Sounds daft to me that it would be a rolling road figure from the manufacturer?? - has to be engine surely.
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

The 1000 never had carbs. ............ ever!
So it's either an early 650 or the guy is giving you B'S!
nil illigitimae carborundum
Giocast
On the Road

Post by Giocast »

Thanks C.T. - yes, researched and found out after I went to look at it. Got insured from tomorrow - bike arrives Sunday midday so quite excited. If weather good i will ride to Bury Hill (nr Arundel) just to get the feel of it. I think I will change the bars for a larger offset as I found I was leaning further forward than when on a Monster and have a neck issue at the mo. Next step could be treating bike to a pair of tyres as despite no signs of perish marks/passed MOT, the tyres are 8 years old minimum. I talked to the owner and it was just his terminology I think. He removed injectors and had them ultrasonically cleaned as bike had sat 8 years. This is the lowest mileage bike I have ever owned. :- )
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

I am half thinking about a ride to bury hill tommorrow, so i might see you there... Mine will be the scruffy red thou :woot:
Twisted Tequila Sister
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Giocast wrote:55 years agoThanks C.T. - yes, researched and found out after I went to look at it. Got insured from tomorrow - bike arrives Sunday midday so quite excited. If weather good i will ride to Bury Hill (nr Arundel) just to get the feel of it. I think I will change the bars for a larger offset as I found I was leaning further forward than when on a Monster and have a neck issue at the mo. Next step could be treating bike to a pair of tyres as despite no signs of perish marks/passed MOT, the tyres are 8 years old minimum. I talked to the owner and it was just his terminology I think. He removed injectors and had them ultrasonically cleaned as bike had sat 8 years. This is the lowest mileage bike I have ever owned. :- )
No worries Gio.
If your new baby is a V then it's not easy altering bars with the horns and maintaining clearance on full lock.
I would change the tyres as after that length of time they will have gone off. Not a problem if just pootling around but I wouldnt want to throw it into a corner at speed on tyres that old no matter how clean they look.
Enjoy the first ride and take it easy on the throttle till its warmed up and you are more at one with the bike as they can bite yer arse! Lol
nil illigitimae carborundum
Giocast
On the Road

Post by Giocast »

Thanks C.T. - bike just arrived - it's a bit like Christmas day. Hope to see you later Shebee : -)
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

:thumbsup: :ride: :revrev: WAHAY :tada:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Hope you had a great day, and took loads of lovely pix to share with us? Watch out for the "powerband" at 3000RPM till she's warmed up, search on here for TPS reset/3k glitch if it's bothersome.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
shebee
Site Admin

Post by shebee »

We had a good ride out but obviously missed you at Bury hIll... Had to back off a bit on the27 coming back as a police chopper was taking a little too much interes in us :shock:
Twisted Tequila Sister
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

shebee wrote:55 years agoWe had a good ride out but obviously missed you at Bury hIll... Had to back off a bit on the27 coming back as a police chopper was taking a little too much interest in us :shock:
Eek!! :lol: I had a stealth car suddenly light up and play tunes behind me yesterday just as I turned onto a main road, he was at warp speed and scared the bejayzus outta me :choochoo:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
shebee
Site Admin

Post by shebee »

We have a stealth black bmw sports car here with new reg did the same to me the other day
Twisted Tequila Sister
Giocast
On the Road

Post by Giocast »

Sorry I missed you at Bury hill Shebee but bound to meet up in the near future . Met some riding mates at the chalet Cowfold and then went to Beachy head ending up at Boxhill . The bike ran faultlessly and bike has now done 4007 miles. I didn't notice any problem at 3000 revs and for me it was very smooth but that could be because I'm used to Ducatis and have rarely ridden four-cylinder bikes for long despite owning a few so have never got used to "smooth" :--)
Giocast
On the Road

Post by Giocast »

Sad to say after an all too brief membership that I have sold my Raptor now. There is a nice community on here, and I'm sorry that I never got to meet any of you but I will always go up to a Raptor owner in future to see if he's on here . Thanks in particular to Martin who posts and personal p.m.s helped me with my bike.
EDIT - just tried to add a picture but file too large again apparently, shame.