finally a bar chat where I can bore for England. DONT DO IT

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
zebedee
On the Road

finally a bar chat where I can bore for England. DONT DO IT

Post by zebedee »

Afterburners
Now in case you dont know, not only am I a keen Raptor owner but I am also a Fire Officer (currently at Heathrow Airport), a geek and a hobby pilot. The clip of the afterburners from Utube was very cool. They all seemed to having great fun and it certainly did look cool in a mad Max sort of way. But the thing that I really like is here is the perfect combination of bikes, fire and aeroplane technology that I can sit at the bar and talk bollox on for hours.
Before we start who's having what to drink?
The purpose of Afterburners can be just to look mad and this is easily a reason to do it. In a jet aircraft, particularly a fighter, they are to get more thrust from the engines. The jet gives what it can but there is a limit to what it can do. The idea is British (sort of). Our noble Spitfire had a rolls royce engine and our freinds from Saxony were about to kick our arses due to our engine being a bit wheezy so more power was needed. RR decided that if they pointed the red hot exhausts in the right direction then they could use the extra thrust. Don't you just love men in sheds? Leap forward to the jet. A jet can only compress and explode gases at a certain rate. If you attempt much more the incoming air breaks the sound barrier and you get shockwaves in the compressor. This is why Concorde (and all supersoninc jets) have long intakes, so the air can bounce around and slow down before being compressed. To go any faster you need a rocket engine. Rockets have no intake they have their own fuel and oxygen and just burn it. So any afterburner on a plane injects fuel into the hot exhaust gases and ignites it. End result, kick in the pants and off we go. You basically have a jet and a rocket. If you want to go much faster you need a ramjet or pure rocket. This is the right moment to think "I feel the need, the need for speed" and go all Tom Cruisey.
Many aircraft have used rocket assist for take offs and all sorts of lovely stuff.
So, here comes a question. Can I put afterburners on my bike for any other reason than it looks great and people will sigh and gasp at the genius who did it? Easy answer, yes you can. After burners on internal combustion engines can make a difference. Different idea but it can still work. The point of putting a bigger, more open exhaust on is to increase gas flow. As one who loves the noise I do not pretend that the extra performance is the main reason. Why have a supremely strange looking bike, with all sorts of claws and stuff on then creep around being quiet? Of all the posts on here about exhausts, all of them have a bit of "love the noise" in so I am not alone.
But, at some stage, you will not be able to clear the gases any faster no matter how big the pipe. You would need to actually suck the gases out. Same as, at some point, you need a turbo charger or super charger to force the fuel in, you will need something to suck it out. Any explosion causes a rapid expansion of the gases. This leaves lower pressure behind. So if you have a small explosion at the end of the taipipe it will suck gases out behind it. Mount a gas canister somewhere, with the right kind of nozzle in the end of the tailpipe and light it. Then when you rev the gases burn hotter, more expansion and it sucks the gases out of the tailpipe.
This all sounds wonderful but here comes the bad news. I have no idea if it will make a blind bit of difference to a Raptor. I am thinking not. I am thinking this becasue we have mapped fuel injection which can only put a certain amount of fuel in and regardless of how hard you suck on the end you can't get it in as quick as you get it out. We have no turbo and no supercharger. Add to this that the end where you burn al that stuff is plastic and disaster looms. Please nobody do it. You will die in a horrible fire ball. The Harley manuals are full of warnings like this which say filling your bike with fuel is dangerous and you might die but this is a real warning. Really though, this is bonkers. DO NOT carry gas cansiters and do not set fire to your bike. .
Now I lean back and bask in the warm glow of a true bar bore. Having passed on some useless knowledge and made something mad have a stupid point (in my head). So much better than "of course you can wheelie 2 up" or "there is nitrous in squirty cream if you know how to use it".
Before you say anything I am jsut off out on my bike so I will be getting out more and I am planning to get alife at some point
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Zeb
live long and prosper earthmen
taz_116
On the Road

Post by taz_116 »

Just drill and tap two holes in eithe link pipe and screw in two spark plugs. Wire em up to run of the battery and a push switch on the bars.

When your riding along press the button an viola, flames.

Would that not be just as dramatic?

mmmmmmm Flames :lol:
Burn Rubber, Not Your Soul

2001 V-Raptor 1000, K&N Air Filter & TRE
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Ahhh the Zebedee lectures... witty, informative and slightly on the edge of sanity... Its winter again isnt it... we all need to get out and ride!

Oh and Tequila Redbull whilst you are at the bar- thanks.

soooo.... If squirty cream has NO2... then have squirty cream on my bed... no I mean coffee, definately coffee! ... will that make me any faster out on the bike?

:P
carnivore
On the Road

Post by carnivore »

think of the advantages of having afterburners on the raptor, tailgaters, cyclists etc and best of all when the traffic coppers have stopped you for 'enthusiastic riding' and walking up behind you so you can 'help them with their enquiries'. Mmmmm
where's the bar?
zebedee
On the Road

let's go outside

Post by zebedee »

You know what going outside does make you stop waffling. Tried to get out yesterday but bat flattery stopped play. Charged, started and out for the morning. Gosh I do feel better. I shall invest in a automatic chargey pluggy in thingy (if I am being to technical sorry) so the bike does not have the opportunity to feel all unloved and sulk. Actually what I will do is put it on the santa list, be disappointed on baby Jesus' birthday and go buy one after crimbo. Anyone recommend anything. Demon tweeks got one for about £30.

Z
live long and prosper earthmen
taz_116
On the Road

Post by taz_116 »

For some reaso i only seem to buy the Optimates. Never had a problem with them though, well apart from they don't work when you forget to plug em in :oops:

Need another new battery now. £29.99 of tinterweb woo hooo last one cost me £70 :o

Anyway check out M & P

http://www.mandp.co.uk/products/list/Wo ... y-Chargers

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

inline fuse (permanent fixture) on my optimate killed the Rap battery.
Bought it in a knock down/shop closing sale so couldn't even take it back :cry:

so now i just use the croc clips
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
taz_116
On the Road

Post by taz_116 »

Its the alarm that killms my battery. Its a Datatool one that don't go into Winter mode so just keeps on drawing the battery until its dead. I got the optimate and plugged it in, just didn't switch it on :roll: Thats so embarrasing isn't it. :oops:

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

ah yes Taz - the on switch :oops: often my downfall too

hey Zeb -- flame effects?

are you still buying? large rum hot toddy ta :?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Spyke
On the Road

Re: finally a bar chat where I can bore for England. DONT DO

Post by Spyke »

Bumping this because it's cool, and because a small flame projector may now be on my list! :evil:
I think the sentiments referred to here are the main reason that electric motorbikes aren't catching on with the leisure sector. :yawn:
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.