I'm hiring a Harley, please don't think of me differently!!!

Chat about anything
Aussiejoe
On the Road

I'm hiring a Harley, please don't think of me differently!!!

Post by Aussiejoe »

So I've decided as a birthday present for my Girlfriend I'd hire a Harley Street Glide (http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_AU/Mo ... ecial.html) for a weekend to take her away. Since I transport motorcycles up and down the East Coast of Australia (http://www.roadhogtransport.com.au) and transport that Harley shop's fleet of hire bikes, I knew I'd get a good deal on hiring one. Was there picking up a couple of Harleys today and I was informed that I'll be getting a brand new bike for the weekend. They put 1500 kilometres on them before they hire them out, so they're letting me run it in as I said I'll be doing 1200 kilometres (750miles) in 2 days on it. If they want 1500 kilometres on it, I'm certain we could find several detours...............just hope the piece of sh*t doesn't break down, but then again, we'll have a built-in stereo to listen to while we wait for the tow truck!
Tikka
On the Road

Re: I'm hiring a Harley, please don't think of me differentl

Post by Tikka »

Just hope the radio keeps working.
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

Thanks Tikka, you just reminded me to take the TV tuner I've got that plugs into my phone while I'm away in a truck so I can watch Motogp, might end up flattening the battery on the bike keeping my phone charged though lol :thumbsup:
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Sounds like fun!
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

For 2up touring, a hog probably isn't a bad option :mrgreen:

But, you do know why they make Harley accessories out of chrome, don't you?

...So they are easier to find when they fall off :P
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Technical magic
Twisted Tequila Sister
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Coool - hope you're getting a discount for doing their work for them in running it in ;)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Tikka
On the Road

Post by Tikka »

I must admit that i'm a bit curious how you experience the bike. I never drove a Harley and wonder what all the fuss is about.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

I have ridden HDs for 30+ years and I don't know what the fuss is about either. [emoji41] But Ive had the current one for 20+ years it still makes me grin and its not on the list to sell yet so there is something[emoji51]

Sent from my iPad using Technical magic
Twisted Tequila Sister
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

Tikka wrote:55 years agoI must admit that i'm a bit curious how you experience the bike. I never drove a Harley and wonder what all the fuss is about.
I get to ride Harleys nearly everyday at work as they are one of the most common makes we transport. I can understand why people like them, and I think it's mostly because of that long stroke motor, and of course they look pretty. They handle and brake like a bucket of poo though. I'd much rather something that looks pretty, but handles really well, that's why I love my Raptor soooooo much!!!
snapdragon wrote:55 years agoCoool - hope you're getting a discount for doing their work for them in running it in ;)
The normal price for a weekend hire is $455 from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon. It's going to cost me $400 ($2000 security deposit) to hire it and I'll pick it up with my truck Friday afternoon and it'll go back on a truck the next Monday. Friday night will be spent cruising the Esplanade here :D
Spyke wrote:55 years agoBut, you do know why they make Harley accessories out of chrome, don't you?
...So they are easier to find when they fall off :P
So are you trying to say I should be getting the Missus chromed before I go for the ride mate lol

This is the planned route, with an overnight stop at Yamba.
https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Dece ... 962398!3e0
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

:woot: route looks great
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Tikka wrote:55 years agoI must admit that i'm a bit curious how you experience the bike. I never drove a Harley and wonder what all the fuss is about.
Marketing hype - swallowed hook, line and sinker by North Americans. [As a nation they seem particularly insular and entirely unaware of what's going in the rest of the world, and I contend that their leaders and educators do as good a job of brainwashing their citizens as the North Koreans. In the few times I've been to the U.S. I've been utterly flabbergasted by their firm belief that they live in the best country in the world, whilst simultaneously knowing virtually nothing about any other country.] You know you've got an image problem when Urban Dictionary know you've got an image problem:
HD.jpg
HD.jpg (110.66 KiB) Viewed 4788 times
(Not aimed at you Aussiejoe but I'm especially amused by their selection of related words! :evil: )
Aussiejoe wrote:55 years ago So are you trying to say I should be getting the Missus chromed before I go for the ride mate lol
I really hope she doesn't fall off, there'd be trouble for sure.

Edit: I probably posted this before, but it sprang to mind again today andit still makes me smile!
[youtube][/youtube]
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

If I ever hear anyone harping on about how great Harleys are, I like to ask them why did Harley Davidson want to buy MV Agusta/Cagiva in 2009 :? I don't like them, but I thought I'd hire one just for something different........because at the moment, my Raptor isn't going too far!
bike engine.jpg
bike engine.jpg (181.31 KiB) Viewed 4780 times
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Oh my, you have got a job on your hands! Yeah it's a shame that HD have completely given up on the performance side of things, I'm not up on industry news but I think they should have been more supportive of Erik Buell. I'm not 100% against them - there's a time and a place for most bikes after all - but my favourite thing about them is the way they sound with aftermarket pipes, as long as it's not the "unnecessary rev".
Last edited by Spyke on |April 12th, 2015|, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

Just getting everything powder coated and painted on my bike, bit of a clean up on the motor and maybe the 650 cam swap, just hard finding time when I'm working 6 days a week, and only home a few days a week. Spoke to a bloke that had a Buell and he didn't like it. The boss has seen the new Eric Buell bikes and he said they aren't very well made. All this talk about Harleys, and I've got to load 10 onto my truck tomorrow, and take them from Brisbane to Canberra. I'll just make sure I give them that "unnecessary rev" as I'm riding them up the ramp, just for you Spyke :revrev: