Indicator warning "system" advice sought

General spannery stuff
Bear of Little Brain
On the Road

Indicator warning "system" advice sought

Post by Bear of Little Brain »

I've finally decided I have to fit an indicator alarm/buzzer "system" before something regrettable happens. I suppose I'm being lazy, but it seems sensible to ask if anyone else has done this and how it was done. The principle problems seem likely to be how to integrate the wiring required in an engineering-friendly/professional/semi-professional :shock: way (proper connectors and un-bodged wiring modifications) and how and where to mount the buzzer and the associated electronic box.
There seem to be at least two approaches: a buzzer that activates after a set number of flashes, either preset or user-adjustable; and another which further integrates the brake warning system so that the alarm does not go off if one has a brake applied and is just waiting at lights, for example. Presumably, the latter only starts counting from the release of the brake and is reset each time a brake has to be applied again.

Maybe there are other solutions that I haven't come across, but the counter plus buzzer seems the obvious one.

I haven't really given this much thought but I thought I'd ask before wandering off into the usual over-complicated solutions my mind seems to dream up. :?

PS: I finally gave way and have put my son-in-law on my insurance (since he will not be riding Rappie that often and it was no more expensive on the recent renewal). It's a kind of birthday present for him (and, yes, he is a little older than my daughter and has a clean license, etc., hence the rather odd no change in the premium). That means he will be taking my daughter on the pillion, hence my sudden concern about leaving indicators flashing, even though I'm the real hazard there. As to having my daughter as pillion: good luck with that. I'll spare you the details…

PPS: Maybe the counter is a timer…
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: Indicator warning "system" advice sought

Post by Crap Tartan »

I know there are systems out there that do this kind of function that could be fitted.

I have a Honda Silverwing that is standard fitted with a buzzer system to remind you.

If you have a self cancelling system then there is no real need for a buzzer sytem, its one or t`other i say......................
nil illigitimae carborundum
Bear of Little Brain
On the Road

Should have mentioned that I did do a quick search and came up with this, but maybe someone has a better alternative or a good way of fitting something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORBIKE-IND ... 0892629990
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

I have only owned one bike that had an indicator buzzer on it, it lasted for the journey home after buying the bike and was then disconnected..
152/999
Bear of Little Brain
On the Road

Maybe I should have done more research before posting. I came across this, which seems to be the brake system related one:
http://www.audicator.com/audicator.htm
Thinking about it, the three-wire one mentioned previously should be good enough. In fact it may be down to two wires if I can fit the unit close to the flasher relay (maybe).
I'll wait and see what other comments come up before stumping up the £10.
Bear of Little Brain
On the Road

Miz wrote:55 years agoI have only owned one bike that had an indicator buzzer on it, it lasted for the journey home after buying the bike and was then disconnected..
Know what you mean, Miz, but I just keep forgetting to cancel the indicators. So far it's just been embarassing, but…

Put it down to senility or too many years driving cars. :)
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Was there not something about blind people confusing the indicator buzzers with the tone used on pedestrian crossings and stepping out on bikes?

Sent from my iPad using Technical magic
Twisted Tequila Sister
Bear of Little Brain
On the Road

Re: Indicator warning

shebee wrote:55 years agoWas there not something about blind people confusing the indicator buzzers with the tone used on pedestrian crossings and stepping out on bikes
I've seen that comment elsewhere. If it's true, I think it comes down to probability. Am I more likely to run down (or, just as likely, have someone else run down) a blind person on a crossing or be totalled by someone believing that I'm about to turn? Since the buzzer is telling me to turn off my indicators, the chances are that I'll do that and the buzzer will only sound a couple of times. If I am about to turn, I'm most likely to cancel and reset the indicators, since I'm not likely to want to leave the buzzer on and attract attention (I'm just shy that way :oops: ). If the bike is moving the sound will be moving too so I'm not convinced a blind person will be fooled, especially given that other vehicles use similar devices (for reversing, for example). Interesting issue, though. Given that my injuries are likely to be severe even though it's my stupidity, I don't think it's clear cut in favour of the pedestrian. I hope I don't have to eat my words. :(

PS: should have said that I'm thinking of the delayed warning, not constant beeping.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

If you're becoming senile, then aren't you also becoming deaf?

I'm kinda kidding, but if you can't concentrate enough on the job to remember to cancel your indicators then are you really able to focus enough to be riding bikes safely? I can understand newbie riders getting caught up in the excitement of it all but once the L plates come off it's a different story, hopefully your son will learn to cancel before taking your daughter out, I know I'm glad I got my road sense in a car before getting my speed lust on a motorcycle.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
Bear of Little Brain
On the Road

Spyke wrote:55 years ago I'm kinda kidding,
No, you're not.

This was not intended to be a thread about me or my riding but about the practicality of having a warning system. Unlike you, I obtained my bike license first, aged 16. Also, at age sixteen and seven months I was riding my first 650 Triumph. Quite a while ago – and I'm still alive to tell the tale. I think the newbie "excitement of it all" wore off some decades ago. And you get a lot more road sense a lot quicker on a bike, I can tell you. I won't tempt Fate by referring to my insurance claims or motoring offence record.
So, I assume you've never once forgotten to cancel your indicators? Good for you. Long may it last. Unfortunately, I recognise that because I've been too busy concentrating on the road ahead and because they and the lamp in the rev counter unit are out of my field of vision that I have, on occasions, left my indicators on. So I intend to do something to counter that. Big deal.

Also - and unlike you, apparently - I don't have a speed lust. I just ride quite quickly, within my limitations and those of the road (I hope), and with full concentration.

Incidentally, my son-in-law has had his motorcycle license for about thirty years. If his insurance claims and convictions weren't non-existent, he wouldn't be on my insurance. We aren't talking "kids" here, Spyke.

Maybe I should have been more precise and called this thread "Indicator warning system technical advice sought, not off-topic opinions".

Sorry. I do try to be good-humored and polite, but sometimes…
HiFi
On the Road

Post by HiFi »

If I remember correctly, my old Yamaha Virago had self-cancelling indicators -> kept going forever at a standstill but just turned itself off after running for a few hundred yards. Is this sort of thing available as a third-party add on?
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Just ride!
when its time to hang up your boots you will know

Thr rest is just pish...........
nil illigitimae carborundum
Bear of Little Brain
On the Road

HiFi wrote:55 years agoIf I remember correctly, my old Yamaha Virago had self-cancelling indicators -> kept going forever at a standstill but just turned itself off after running for a few hundred yards. Is this sort of thing available as a third-party add on?
A friend of mine had an FJ1200 and I seem to remember that having self-cancelling indicators too. But I would imagine that self-cancelling indicators would just introduce the opposite risk of not realising that they needed refreshing if you hadn't made that turn yet (say, in slow moving traffic).

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoJust ride!
when its time to hang up your boots you will know
Thr rest is just pish...........
Ah, a breath of sanity.

Ho, hum… I was hoping that I'd be inundated with solutions, but I'll just have to get myself off my backside and figure it out. My fault for being lazy. :)

Thanks for all the comments, with one notable exception :x . However, now I just put that down to too much blood rushing to the antipodean head, no doubt caused by being in the upside-down half of the world. So, "Peace, bro'." :)
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

How about an LED placed more in your field of view, but with on off/overide switch for night use.
152/999
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Ok so I'm known more for my problem solving skills than my tact and diplomacy - fair call. BUT I think the reason you've not been inundated with responses is that most folk who can remember to switch their indicators on can also learn to remember to switch them off too.

I've always liked the old saying that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, I much prefer to fix the root cause of a problem than apply a band aid solution. When I've identified a life-endangering deficiency in my skills I've worked hard to overcome it, and expect, unrealistically, that everyone else would think the same way.

In helpful mode again I Googled "cancelling indicators" and found a lot of posts on other fora - particularly bikechatforums.

There are a number of reasons to NOT do something to your bikes indicators:
1. Attaching another system to your bike increases the potential for failures, especially if installed by an untrained electrician, when your new system doesn't work you'll be back to square one.
2. Relying on another system will cause the rider to become complacent and should the rider then ride another bike they'll be back to square one.
3. The systems that are out there seem to cause as much angst as pleasure, either cancelling indicators inappropriately, or not at all.

There are a number of reasons to learn to cancel your indicators:
1. Overcoming your forgetfulness will give you a lovely warm and fuzzy feeling.
2. Should you ever ride another bike you won't need to concern yourself with another issue.
3. It really is not hard to get into the routine of glancing at your indicator warning light or punching the cancel button.
4. You'll save time and money.

I realise though that you may well be determined to *do something*, so you might like to check out http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181234502204 and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190924288969.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.