Chains and rear sprockets.

General spannery stuff
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Re: Chains and rear sprockets.

Post by dizzyblonde »

Cheers me dear!

Why the hell does it have to be 121mm, its flippin stupid :x

I've got a dremel......and I knowz someone with a laithe!

Why the hell do they have to be so awkward, they could have at least chosen the one that matches the front :snooty:
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I reckon it was a normal one first and then they painted the hub - coat of paint all round is all it is really
:nod:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

dizzyblonde wrote:55 years agoCheers me dear!

Why the hell does it have to be 121mm, its flippin stupid :x

I've got a dremel......and I knowz someone with a laithe!

Why the hell do they have to be so awkward, they could have at least chosen the one that matches the front :snooty:
Please don't go down the Dremel route, if it is machined off-centre the vibration will have your fillings out..
152/999
Dodge
On the Road

Post by Dodge »

Hi Dizzyblonde

I had this problem a while back but after a bit of research, this is what I ended up getting.

http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... 503#p24050

Cheers

Dodge
40 years a biker,..........and still a twat!!!!!!!!!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Cagiva Raptor 1000, GSXR 7/12 Slingshot Streetfighter, Granada Cosworth
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Dodge wrote:55 years agoHi Dizzyblonde

I had this problem a while back but after a bit of research, this is what I ended up getting.

http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... 503#p24050

Cheers

Dodge
I made thae linked post into a 'sticky' Dodge, in case anyone needs to refer to it later
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Hi Dodge, thanks for that, theres no shortage of companies selling Renthal Hard anodised rear sprockets, it seems.

As I said, I really don't want one, I never use ally sprockets on my bikes, its just me :roll:

I have been talking to man with laithe, who happens to be the one replacing my chain and sprockets. We're going to have a good chinwag about this ere problem we all seem to have, and hes going to see if he can find a spare sprocket carrier on ebay or something and do a tester on his laithe.

Now if operation Kitty works......who would be interested in some sort of carrier exchange programme, so you can all have Busa sprockets on your Raptors? ...and a wider choice of sprockets all round?

:ride:

Also, if this is successful it means I got an Extreme heavy duty D.I.D gold X-ring ZVM chain and sprockets for £132.95. :dance:
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

im planning the same thing next replacement i have a little lathe but might be too small for this job i will have to check.
Bit of a Muppet
dirtydog
On the Road

Post by dirtydog »

Hmmm I bought a c&s kit from wemoto a while back and the rear sprocket didn't fit. I ended up using my dremel with a sanding drum on to just take a little bit off the sprocket. Which I guess means I have a 'Busa sprocket fitted.

I'd happily let YC loose on the sprocket carrier :nod:
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

One VRaptor Sprocket carrier, laithed to permanently take a much more available Busa sprocket :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Now just need to stop all this rain to MOT it :rant:
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

I'm quite perturbed by this sprocket malarkey, finding out that the Xtras have different sprockets, and sprocket carriers, to the Vs and Normales, has thrown an additional spanner into the works. My friendly local Cagiva parts man is confused too. But I think I may have a clue from the parts listing posted elsewhere:
SprocketParts.jpg
SprocketParts.jpg (183.79 KiB) Viewed 4580 times
If I'm reading this correctly it seems the Xtras get an ergal sprocket, and a different colour!
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

They may have different part numbers but possibally still fit and exactly the same ?
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Has anyone tried a 39t rear sprocket ,sometimes i find the gearing around town a bit too short
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

I haven't heard of anyone trying the 39, but in preparation for doing my C&S this week I thought I'd get in under the sprocket cover and dig out the accumulated goo yesterday, and that very nearly turned out to be biting off too much to chew.

It all seems straight forward in the manual, but what the manual does not say is that the "clutch throw-out" contains 11 teensy weensy ball bearings that will scatter themselves to the winds, given half a chance.
:rant:
Luckily my local bearing supplier was open, and rather than charging me the minimum $10 for a cash sale he "lost" a pair of replacements in my direction. :thumbsup:

The throw-out (I didn't even know I had one until yesterday) had about a gallon of grinding paste (Scottoil + road grit) hiding behind it, so if you choose to remove this item to clean behind it I would strongly advise you to hold the throw-out tight up to the throw-out lever as you remove the mounting bolts, then immediately zip tie the little fecker together to ensure the bearings stay put.
ThrowUp.jpg
ThrowUp.jpg (240.52 KiB) Viewed 4543 times
If you find that you do have to reassemble it, a piece of fishing line can help to hold the little tabs on the throw-out ball carrier tight up to the seal on the throw-out lever, then you have to drop this into the throw-out and insert the balls, 4 in the first row (the right-most in this picture), 3 in the second row, and four in the third row (the left-most in this picture), which is like one of those bloody annoying maze puzzles as you have to get all the balls in their exactly correct positions before you can slide them in.
Attachments
Carrier.jpg
Carrier.jpg (246.66 KiB) Viewed 4542 times
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

mmmm yes memories i had the same problem but was lucky i found the little blighters again.
Bit of a Muppet
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Well I managed to change my chain & sprockets last week, turned out the front sprocket wasn't keen to wiggle out from behind the throw-out so I confidently whipped the zip ties out. When buying I was in a hurry, and on a budget, so I took the chance of getting this kit from a bunch called Global Bike Online: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/390735406128

The sprockets fitted perfectly, and the kit was ordered on a Wednesday, was posted on the Friday, and showed up on my doorstep on the Tuesday, which is bloody good for 5 quid postage to Oz, I reckon! they say that if you "like" their facebook page you can get 10% off orders on their website, might be good for someone here?

My old sprockets were remarkably healthy looking, but my chain was shagged. My new rear sprocket is MUCH heavier, presumably being steel not fancy ergal, if I get a job soon I might even shell out on one of this blingy coloured Renthals that fleabay keeps teasing me with. Or I might try and save that weight from my PAIR valve, but I kinda like the popping!
C&S.jpg
C&S.jpg (214.78 KiB) Viewed 4524 times
I found this video really helpful - using a rod in the wheel meant that even puny me could remove the front sprocket whilst in neutral, a bonus! [youtube][/youtube]