oh my blasted lectrics :(

General spannery stuff
snapdragon

oh my blasted lectrics :(

Post by snapdragon »

how come the indicators will only work after I've been on the road for 2-3 miles? they just won't go before I set off, I used my best tool (WD40) a lot and some of that spark clean stuff as well, still no change

what can it be?

confused of Wiltshire :blink:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
TLPower
On the Road

Re: oh my blasted lectrics :(

Post by TLPower »

what can it be?
An electrical defect.

Fairly certain of Yorkshire.
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Is battery good condition?

Check earths and test function of indicator relay.

When they dont work at first can you hear the relay clicking?
nil illigitimae carborundum
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Thanks TLpower - very helpful :lol: :lol:
Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoIs battery good condition?

Check earths and test function of indicator relay.

When they dont work at first can you hear the relay clicking?
Thanks CT, why doesn't this ever happen when I have a knowledgeable person on hand?

I've generally got me hat on so don't hear anything :roll:

>> earths and relay search >> I need a map
SnappY
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Start bike with seat off, try indicators, if they dont flash, listen to hear if indicator relay is clicking?

If possible verify you are getting 12v at the relay when you make the indicator switch.

If 12v is present then possibly relay is goosed, if no 12v then probably wiring issue (dodgy earth or break in circuit somewhere) you need a multimeter to test properly.

If relay is clicking but neither side indicators are working then would suggest testing the battery.

It may not be holding a good charge and once you have run it for a few minutes its enough to drive the indicators.
nil illigitimae carborundum
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I took her up to mate's workshop and went in under the seat and the tank (more of that later) using my full toolbox of a can of wd40 and can of spark right (?) to spray on connections and mate's spanners and bits to take stuff apart (as I hadn't taken mine with me)
I can't see anything with damage - and blinkers worked when I left my mate's and still do now. fingers crossed it's ok, but I am a bit concerned about the battery and earths - I will get back to it and next time listen for the ticking under the seat
thanks CT

So derail regarding TANK
nice fitting that tank - if you don't remove the pivot bolts and leave them out when you return the bike to it's owner after a major service Crescent Suzuki !!! Having the tank propped and faffing about picking up a dropped 'bit' the damm thing fell on me because the bolts were missing :angry:

and I remembered the sliding bolts that help to re-fit the tank when the front bolts won't go in properly. (go me!!)
We have just the one bolt in now - better than none but I'm just off under the stairs to find another - if I'm not back by Michaelmas send in the troops please :woot:
SnappY
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Where they lighting up but not flashing or just nothing? The circuit goes -
+12v feed to flasher unit
wire goes from flasher unit to indicator switch
one wire goes to each side(2 bulbs) and warning light from indicator switch
then finally each bulb is grounded to frame -12v

The system requires a good current flow to flash on the older type with bulbs and not so much on leds,
so a poor connection can cause them to stop flashing but stay on steady .If neither is lighting up at all then the problem is probably a bad connection to flasher or from flasher to switch or faulty flasher unit.

Good luck
Bit of a Muppet
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Thanks Shed - more things to check and poke about with, and maybe consider LED replacements
SnappY