thermostat for the 1000

General spannery stuff
1add2
On the Road

thermostat for the 1000

Post by 1add2 »

for anyone who is interested a QUINTON HAZELL QTH209K thermostat fits straight in a vraptor and it opens at 88 C not 78ish like the standard one, so should keep engine temp above the magic 80ish where the engine runs best . I have just fitted one to mine but havent tried it yet
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: thermostat for the 1000

Post by Crap Tartan »

Will check that out!, let us know once you have fitted and tested fully?

I fitted a switchable variable resistance into the IAT circuit to fool the ECM into adjusting the mapping to overcome the 3k glitch!!

Works a treat too and only cost a few quid in parts.
nil illigitimae carborundum
1add2
On the Road

Post by 1add2 »

I will let you know how well it works
I got pissed off with realy bad fuel consumption (best 30mpg worst 18mpg) and that wasnt riding it hard and read about your mods and some on tlzone and thought i would give a them go,
i am doing your resistor across ect sensor with a switch mod using a 470 ohm resistor, looks very successful
whatever made suzuki design such a shit fuel injection system, you would have thought that the fuel would lean off as the engine temp rose in proportion, not cold map up to 80 C then proper map 80c and above.
still never mind it is fixable
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

1add2 wrote:55 years agofor anyone who is interested a QUINTON HAZELL QTH209K thermostat fits straight in a vraptor and it opens at 88 C not 78ish like the standard one, so should keep engine temp above the magic 80ish where the engine runs best . I have just fitted one to mine but havent tried it yet
I've got it down in my list as QTH266 rated to be fully open at 89'C, so it seems to be a fairly standard size, just a sod to get at and change...
152/999
1add2
On the Road

Post by 1add2 »

i have seen this qth266 mentioned on tlzone, i dont know if the thermo housing on a 97 tls is completely different to a vraptor but the stat and the housing had to be modified to make it fit see http://www.tlzone.net/forums/frequent-t ... oblem.html
you are right about being a sod to get at ,took me a couple of hours
1add2
On the Road

Post by 1add2 »

update: QUINTON HAZELL QTH209K thermostat is now fitted and tested, engine temp hovers around 78-82C in normal use, so no great improvement but Crap Tartan's ECT mod bloody brilliant i can now fool the engine managment into thinking the engine is hotter, its like a new bike
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

glad the mod has worked for you too!

I have a variable pot in my black box so i can fine tune in the future if I want to (its a 0-2.5k res)
TLPower
On the Road

Post by TLPower »

Hi there

Just been reading your post regarding tricking the ecu into thinking it's a sunny day.

I have a Navigator with the same issues ( ie takes ages to reach 82 degrees etc) and was wondering if this would do the same job
http://www.maplin.co.uk/miniature-potentiometers-2203 ? If not which one would?

I have fitted (so far ) TRE, K&N, Powercommander 2 and a home made 50mm Tuono hybrid exhaust system. Bike has also been custom mapped at Dynobike Malton.

I also tried the radiator taping without much success.

Many thanks
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

That would probably work but I wanted 0.5W, around 2k resistance and to be sealed and panel mount.

hers the one I used;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panel-Mount-S ... 1c20968845

HTH

let me know if you need anything else, dont see any reason it shouldnt work with yours although not familiar if the intake temp sensor works the same way on that model.
TLPower
On the Road

Post by TLPower »

Thanks for that,

Just ordered one, should be here this week.

The Navigator has the air temp sensor in the air box below the filter.

I was faffing in the garage today and found the original header pipes, measured them, 34mm i.d. New ones are 50mm. Cagiva really did strangle this engine.

Looking at the TLS ecu mod next then another trip to the dyno.....
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

HAVE YOU CHECKED THE RANGE OF RESISTANCE (oops!) for your navigator sensor is around the same as the Raptor as the potentiometer you buy must be compatible with that range to give you the required offset once they are wired in parallel?
TLPower
On the Road

Post by TLPower »

I just assumed they would be same, so I ordered a 2K2 switch. I also assume that the Raptor and Navigator share the same basic wiring.

I know the ecus' are different. (Or are they the same)?

What can possibly go wrong?..........

Many thanks.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

TLPower wrote:55 years ago -/-

-/-.
:lightfart: ?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

TLPower wrote:55 years agoI just assumed they would be same, so I ordered a 2K2 switch. I also assume that the Raptor and Navigator share the same basic wiring.

I know the ecus' are different. (Or are they the same)?

Many thanks.
They well be the same or at least within a useable range but no gaurentee. So what is the spec of the engine in the Navigator?

The raptor manual shows a list of resistances relating to AIT that are sent to the ECM. The pot you fit in parallel must fool the ECM into thinking its 85degC when its actually 50degC by having the parallel resistance change the overall resistance to a value that the ECM sees.

Formula is 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 where Rt is the resistance the ECM sees, R1 is the actual resistance of the IAT sensor itself at whatever temp it is and R2 is the potentiometer resistance set to give the correct reading of Rt to fool the ECM.

If the resistance range of the Navigator IAT is miles away from the potentiometer resistance then the range of Rt you can produce for the ECM will not fall into the correct range for this to work properly.

Its no good just upping the resistance too much or you will have the ECM thinking its overheating and it will go into safe mode!

Check your Navigator manual or do readings of the IAT at its full temp range.
TLPower
On the Road

Post by TLPower »

Good job you mentioned intake air temp, I was planning on fitting it with the coolant switch on the rad as I thought the issue was the engine not reaching a higher enough temp. The Navigator has the sensor in the bottom right of the rad, I've already fitted a manual fan over-ride here.

Thinking about it, it does need to be on the coolant side as the air temp surely needs to be as low as poss. Tricking the ecu into seeing a higher coolant reading than there actually is will make it come off the ''cold'' map earlier. That's what I am aiming for.

The engine in the Navigator is the Suzuki TL 1000s. Cagiva left the internals standard but restricted it by fitting narrow inlet trumpets to the airbox ( removed on mine with top of box cut out ), narrow bore unequal length headers connected to ultra restrictive silencers (also replaced on mine). Cagiva also developed a different ecu for the Navigator.