Easy clutch cable fix

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Boofhead
On the Road

Easy clutch cable fix

Post by Boofhead »

Hi everyone,
the other day I asked for help with a broken clutch cable...thanks to everyone who helped. :D
What I ended up doing was purchasing a cable that was a couple of inches longer than the Raptors (it was off a Honda, what Honda I don't know!!).
* I then measured the original Raptor cable (broken at the lever) & cut the knob off the clutch end of the new Honda cable.
* threw away the Honda outer cable & fed the new Honda inner cable into the Raptors outer cable.
* A mate machined up a new brass knob for the clutch end & silver soldered it on...done, it was too easy!!
The cable cost me $25au (£15) & the machining was free. You are however, able to purchase the ends from bike shops & industrial supply stores for next to nothing. The stores in my town didn't have any in stock in the size I needed & I didn't have time to wait for them to turn up. The ends come in brass & aluminium this gives you the choice of either silver soldering or crimping them on (originals are crimped aluminium).
I hope I have been of some help to everyone.
Cheers
Boofhead
shedmonkey
APM

Re: Easy clutch cable fix

Post by shedmonkey »

Hein gerricke do an emergency cable and nipple kit, its just an inner with different screw on ends, took one with me to the Stella rally last year not tried it though
Bit of a Muppet
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years agoHein gerricke do an emergency cable and nipple kit, its just an inner with different screw on ends, took one with me to the Stella rally last year not tried it though
That sounds like a handy thing to carry on a trip :happyhappy:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
yeah!
On the Road

Post by yeah! »

Hello...

The screw on top of a spark plug can be fitted to a broken clutch cable and crimped with..eg.. pliers. An emergency fix .....some farmers have 25 year old temporary fences......
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Post by VRaptorMark »

snapdragon wrote:55 years ago
shedmonkey wrote:55 years agoHein gerricke do an emergency cable and nipple kit, its just an inner with different screw on ends, took one with me to the Stella rally last year not tried it though

Would be but Hein Gericke closed a few weeks ago in the UK!!
Better to burn out than just fade away!!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

VRaptorMark wrote:55 years ago
Would be but Hein Gericke closed a few weeks ago in the UK!!
they've re-opened now though
SnappY
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Post by VRaptorMark »

Not in Lincoln mate.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

VRaptorMark wrote:55 years agoNot in Lincoln mate.
Ahh yes, just a select few isn't it ? Southampton, Manchester and Oxford are re-opened and they're the ones I know the way to :nod:
SnappY
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

Ahh yes, just a select few isn't it ? Southampton, Manchester and Oxford are re-opened and they're the ones I know the way to :nod:
I passed the one in Preston yesterday and they had big "We are open again for business" signs in the window. Glad to hear it. :thumbsup:
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Post by VRaptorMark »

Red Mist wrote:55 years ago
I passed the one in Preston yesterday and they had big "We are open again for business" signs in the window. Glad to hear it. :thumbsup:
Whats strange is that the manager of the 1 in Lincoln said they were 1 of the only 1's that were making any money!! Still closed thou. :o
dirtydog
On the Road

Post by dirtydog »

It's not just hein gerickes that do them

http://www.bidsforbikes.co.uk/gear-grem ... 1590-p.asp

Demon tweaks also do the same kit