Front Brake Master Cylinder

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
TimO
On the Road

Front Brake Master Cylinder

Post by TimO »

Anyone know if the front brake m/c is the same as a TL1000 one, mine appears to be on its way out. This is the last part of the original brake system on the bike (front and back!) Anyone replaced one yet or overhauled the m/c with new parts?
Suggestions gratefully received.

TimO
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

Yes it is mate.
Just cant remember right now if its tls or tlr(more powerfull) mastercylinder.
I might have a spare tlr spare m/c if ya want 1 ?
Can do complete with lever for for £35 delivered if ya interested?
TimO
On the Road

Post by TimO »

Sounds like a deal on a complete lever, don't suppose you got a clutch lever as well??

Can you PM me with the necessary details.
Thanks
TimO
slartybartfarst
On the Road

Re: Front Brake Master Cylinder

Post by slartybartfarst »

Just picking up on this old thread as I got sticky front brake movement at the back end of summer and decided to sort the front brake master cylinder this winter. Well the story goes that no one has any refurb kits and even "you cant get them now due to legislation".
Ok true you cant get Cagiva kis but he master cylinder is a very common Nissin 5/8" bore item (they have 5/8" cast on the outside nearest the bar). Anyway a quick visit to local bike shop revealed the same master cylinder is on.:-
Kwak ZX6R 2002
Suz SV1000 2003
Triumph Sprint ST1050 2008
Suz GSXR 750 2001/2
Triumph Tiger 1050 2009
Kwak ZX10 1998/90
Cross checking on M&P site reveals their part number 500364 (280054) fits ll the above and retails at £18
http://www.mandp.co.uk/products/list/Spares
Ive got a set on order ill update when the jobs done.
'Hang the sense of it,' and keep yourself busy. I'd much rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"Ah, no. (laughs) Well, that's where it all falls down, of course.
Demansia
On the Road

Post by Demansia »

I'm running a 03 GSXR 1000 radial M/C. Bigger diameter piston & HH pads. Stops the Rap on a dime!

Chad
Nothin like V-Twin Grin!!
slartybartfarst
On the Road

Chad yea a looked at swapping out the master cylinder but Im a tight arse and £18 is about my limit!LOL

Looking at the radial master cylinders out there i can see how this design can offer better mechanical feel you are essentially pulling the piston in on the same axis as your hand rather than through a pivot point at 90 deg. but other than that i see no mechanical advantage.

I think the lever ratios remain more liner with this design than with the rap standard one and that could give better feel....... there's gonna be an advantage when the race boys use them.

But on the subject of power you need a smaller piston in the master cylinder for greater hydraulic pressure.

Its to do with the ratio between the brake calliper pistons and the master cylinder surface area in contact with the brake fluid, the effective design limits being how far you need to clear the pads off the disks to the lever movement at the bars and line pressure your system can stand.

But Ive no doubt you have better brakes Id like to try a 5/8" radial on to see what happens.
'Hang the sense of it,' and keep yourself busy. I'd much rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
slartybartfarst
On the Road

That replacement master cylinder kit was perfect went in no problem (you just need internal circlip pliers ) now brakes have that feel back with no sticky action at the lever well worth the money.
"And are you?"
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

Some good info there guys, thanks a lot.

I don't need it yet, but i'm sure i will at some point.
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!