Rims

General spannery stuff
JLittler
On the Road

Rims

Post by JLittler »

Hi Guys

Given our bikes seem to be parts bin specials, does anyone know which bin the rims came out of.

I'd like to replace the stock Marchesinis with a set of Carbon rims, but given of course no one stocks Cagiva V/X Raptor rims I need to tell them "TL1000" or MV Agusta or Ducati 996 or whichever bin it was from...

Can anyone help ?

JL
X-Raptor #202. PCII, CF Bellypan,blinker pods and front guard, Staintunes and a Ti Clevis pin because saving 15grams REALLY IS worth an extra 20 quid :-)
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I'll bet TLMONKEY will know this one :D seems to have fitted all sorts of stuff to Raptors 8)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Mighty Mariner
On the Road

Post by Mighty Mariner »

Cagiva is cast into the spokes so might be cagiva specific. Although a friend of mine had lightweight wheels on his but they might have been cagiva as well.
I don't think my V has Marchessini rims as stock :?
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

snapdragon wrote:55 years agoI'll bet TLMONKEY will know this one :D seems to have fitted all sorts of stuff to Raptors 8)
Now,
This is something i dont actually know YET :)

But i have always wondered if 999 duc marchesinis would fit,just never bought any to try it out. Did try A set of Bst carbon whels i had once,came off a gsxr1000 2001-2002, but rear was about 10-15mm to wide at the centre to fit into swingarm.
Got some nice R6 BSt s rightnow,which im selling,so if the feeling takes me i might give em a try.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

TL you never disappoint :lol: always a new idea 8)

Being a clumsy beggar I've a couple of chips on my rims - so am currently thinking about getting them 'done' (before I get an attack of the touch-up paint aka nail varnish again :roll: )

So The question is powder coating? or paint? and same bronze colour? or not?

tank, fender, and hangers currently gloss black with blue 'scales' effect, (I will get a pic done one day) side pods and infils are carbon, cans are V Raptor stock and frame is stock

Open to the membership -->> any thoughts ?
SnappY
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

snapdragon wrote:55 years agoTL you never disappoint :lol: always a new idea 8)

Being a clumsy beggar I've a couple of chips on my rims - so am currently thinking about getting them 'done' (before I get an attack of the touch-up paint aka nail varnish again :roll: )

tank, fender, and hangers currently gloss black with blue 'scales' effect, (I will get a pic done one day) side pods and infils are carbon, cans are V Raptor stock and frame is stock

Black bodykit and red frame mate+get wheels powdercoated,its alot better and a hell of alot harder to get stone chips in it.
JLittler
On the Road

Post by JLittler »

Mighty Mariner wrote:55 years agoCagiva is cast into the spokes so might be cagiva specific. Although a friend of mine had lightweight wheels on his but they might have been cagiva as well.
I don't think my V has Marchessini rims as stock :?
I think the lightweight marchesinis are X Rap only (stock) (which doesn't mean the V doesn't have "ordinary" Marchesinis though- I don't know either way) - certainly that's the spin the Aussie Cagiva website had for the X Rap at the time - talking about the CF, the uprated suspension and the lightweight rims.
X-Raptor #202. PCII, CF Bellypan,blinker pods and front guard, Staintunes and a Ti Clevis pin because saving 15grams REALLY IS worth an extra 20 quid :-)
JLittler
On the Road

Post by JLittler »

TLMONKEY wrote:55 years ago
snapdragon wrote:55 years agoI'll bet TLMONKEY will know this one :D seems to have fitted all sorts of stuff to Raptors 8)
Now,
This is something i dont actually know YET :)

But i have always wondered if 999 duc marchesinis would fit,just never bought any to try it out. Did try A set of Bst carbon whels i had once,came off a gsxr1000 2001-2002, but rear was about 10-15mm to wide at the centre to fit into swingarm.
Got some nice R6 BSt s rightnow,which im selling,so if the feeling takes me i might give em a try.
OK ta - going on the parts interchange list so far, it's gotta be one of the usual three (TL, Duc 916/99x or MV) I can't see they'd go to a lot of trouble when all the X Rap was, was a way to shift a few extra V Raps. I'm thinking I'll chase MV specs first (because I'm pretty sure the 750 ran lightweights marchesinis as well - I'll start digging up pics and try and find what models of the Duc and MV had rims that look the same before I head off to the wreckers).

Geez - this is the first time the Raptor Chapter fount of all knowledge has let me down !! :-)
Magnum
On the Road

Post by Magnum »

snapdragon wrote:55 years agoTL you never disappoint :lol: always a new idea 8)

Hi snapdragon and the rest of you.
As I saw you thinking about repainting the rims :) , I´d like to raise a warning. Since I did a repaint on my old bike I also considered powder coatings. PLEASE BE CAREFUL! WHEN HARDENING (curing)POWDER COATING THE HEAT MIGHT MAKE THE ALUMINUM (Alloy) go BRITTLE!!!! I read alot of articles on the web and on different forums on this topic and decided against powercoating. OK I did regret it some times :roll: cause the paint got chipped alot. But I rather take that, than to worry all the time about the wheels turn into powder while riding. Better be safe...
Cheers!
PS. If I can find some articles on this topic I will post it in a new thread.
Last edited by Magnum on |January 10th, 2009|, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cruisers are best enjoyed on the water!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Thanks for that Magnum - I may go with the paint option then - don't like the idea of my wheels disintegrating :shock:
SnappY
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: Rims

Post by Crap Tartan »

JLittler wrote:55 years agoHi Guys

Given our bikes seem to be parts bin specials, does anyone know which bin the rims came out of.

I'd like to replace the stock Marchesinis with a set of Carbon rims, but given of course no one stocks Cagiva V/X Raptor rims I need to tell them "TL1000" or MV Agusta or Ducati 996 or whichever bin it was from...

Can anyone help ?

JL
Didnt Dochoc sell a pair of carbon rimmed dymags on here recently?

(very nice they were too)

I`ve just had my wheels powdercoated and cant believe companies would carry on doing this service if they were likely to disintegrate!!

Just hoping its an urban myth thing........................
nil illigitimae carborundum
Magnum
On the Road

Re: Rims

Post by Magnum »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years ago
JLittler wrote:55 years agoHi Guys

Can anyone help ?

JL
Didnt Dochoc sell a pair of carbon rimmed dymags on here recently?

(very nice they were too)

I`ve just had my wheels powdercoated and cant believe companies would carry on doing this service if they were likely to disintegrate!!

Just hoping its an urban myth thing........................
I have been doing some reading since my response to snapdragon :wink: , I will publish it in a separate thread. But there are powder coatings that cures in a lower temperature that is o.k for sensetive parts like wheels and air tanks for diving etc. Hope that your powder coating guy know what he was doing. When I asked about this low temperature alternative among the power coating companies around my neighborhood they did not know what I was on about.
Here is the whole article I referred to:
http://my.execpc.com/~davewrit/Powder.html

Cheers
/M
Cruisers are best enjoyed on the water!