Bad running

General spannery stuff
Si RAPTOR
On the Road

Bad running

Post by Si RAPTOR »

Having a problem that someone could shed some light on when opening the throttle whilst travelling slowly in 3rd at low revs the bike appears to run on one cylinder. This is annoying as it then suddenly picks up as you get into 3k revs+ and lurches forward. Could this be fixed with a tre?

Let me know if anyone has had similar experience.
Si
:twisted:
God rides a harley davidson......The Devil Rides a Raptor
harleyriv
On the Road

Re: Bad running

Post by harleyriv »

Si RAPTOR wrote:55 years ago
..God rides a Harley Davidson......The Devil Rides a Raptor......well I must be schizophrenic...got both...my son.....Ha ha haaa!
It ain't no fossil.......
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

mine needs careful clutch feathering at or near 3k to maintain 30mph without getting caught by the cameras - but only while she warms up properly - fine after the engine gets proper warm

it is due to fuelling balance but am not sure what the tre does apart from add top-end?

the time I had a lot of such problems it was water related - road water getting to the front pot

Hey Harleyriv - nice new avatar 8)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Cavia
On the Road

Post by Cavia »

Maybe you can balance the throttle bodies and/or adjust the throttle sensor
try the throttle sensor first, the easiest thing to do and at no cost :wink:
No bike is ever finished!
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

Check and adjust ( if needed ) your tps mate.
craftycat
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: saragracewevillceramics

Post by craftycat »

Had the same on mine until the TPS was adjusted. Now I can do 30mph in 3rd gear at 3000 rpm with no problems.
2002 Cagiva Raptor 1000... mine all mine!!
Amanda M
On the Road

Post by Amanda M »

I had a new TPS recently on mine because of the exact same problem and now it is doing it again, just as bad as before so I am getting rid of it. Bloody sick of the thing.
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

Amanda M wrote:55 years agoI had a new TPS recently on mine because of the exact same problem and now it is doing it again, just as bad as before so I am getting rid of it. Bloody sick of the thing.
Thats weird amanda, tps shouldnt break twice
Amanda M
On the Road

Post by Amanda M »

TLMONKEY wrote:55 years ago
Amanda M wrote:55 years agoI had a new TPS recently on mine because of the exact same problem and now it is doing it again, just as bad as before so I am getting rid of it. Bloody sick of the thing.
Thats weird amanda, tps shouldnt break twice
It sucks because when I got it back from JB racing it was fine and now it's like it was before. It's just gone off again for some reason and I can't keep trying to get it like it used to be because it gets expensive. Up until late last year it ran perfectly and I loved it, now I don't. I just commute on the hairnet now.

I'm trading it in for a Z750 or a Z1000 though so won't be an issue for me anymore!

:P
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

i heard that a faulty GPS (gear position sensor) can cause similar symptoms...SteveTLS had it on his bike.
Amanda M
On the Road

Post by Amanda M »

Sorry folks, as of tomorrow (hopefully - if my insurance certificate is quick!) I'll be the proud over of a 2005 Z1000 :twisted:

Was fun while it lasted and thanks for all the help and advice over the years I've had.

Hugs and kisses to you all

Amanda
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Sorry to see your raptor has gone, but I do understand... hang about here by all means, we are not prejudiced... at least you havent bought a Monster! :wink:
Amanda M
On the Road

Post by Amanda M »

shebee wrote:55 years agoSorry to see your raptor has gone, but I do understand... hang about here by all means, we are not prejudiced... at least you havent bought a Monster! :wink:
I'm gutted because it has probably been the best bike I have ever owned and ever will, up until autumn last year anyway. It's just cost too much to get it right and I've lost trust in it. Shame really :cry: It's time to move on unfortunately, but I have some good memories of it :)

Cheers

Amanda
taz_116
On the Road

Post by taz_116 »

Hope the Kwack treats you well Amanda. Had many Kwacks all of them were brill. Not as good as the Raptor though for bringing a smile to your face :D

Only joking you'll love it.
Burn Rubber, Not Your Soul

2001 V-Raptor 1000, K&N Air Filter & TRE
stevepratt48
On the Road

Re: Bad running

Post by stevepratt48 »

Si RAPTOR wrote:55 years agoHaving a problem that someone could shed some light on when opening the throttle whilst travelling slowly in 3rd at low revs the bike appears to run on one cylinder. This is annoying as it then suddenly picks up as you get into 3k revs+ and lurches forward. Could this be fixed with a tre?

Let me know if anyone has had similar experience.
Si
This seems to be common, balancing the injectors seems to be the job. A little cheat.........
Without taking the tank off, you can get to the balance adjusting screw (Front injector, Right hand side, the top screw (Not the one for the fast idle, which is outboard of the one you want). Too tight to get a screwdriver, but a phillips bit (The sort that slots into a ratchet handle) fits well, I use a small shifter to turn, while I press in with 1 finger (Quicker to do than say!)
Turn the screw 1/4 turn, 1 way or 'tother (Note down what you did) go for a spin, and assess. If it makes the problem better, repeat in 1/4 turns, till OK. If it makes it worse, turn back1/4, then a further 1/4, and assess. If none of that makes any difference, you need to start lookin elsewhere! Set the balance back to where it was, and start looking......
:o
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?