Indicator relay

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
RaptorJo
On the Road

Indicator relay

Post by RaptorJo »

Hope someone can help, my husband has recently put some lovely new indicators on my raptor, unfortunatley they blink once and thats it, been advised to get an indicator relay, can anyone tell me how you fit one of these in laymans terms please. cheers. :?
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

The relay is a simple plug in, under the seat, but I don't think that's your problem!
I'll bet they are LED indicators?
If so, they have a low current requirement, which doesn't heat up the bimetallic strip in the indicator unit (Not really a relay, but everyone calls them that). Expensive LED's have a resistor built in, the only alternative is to buy a dedicated LED flasher unit, from someone like M&P. Fitting a new stadard one will leave you with the same problem.
You can fool the unit, by wiring standard lights somewhere hidden, but I know what I would do!
Good luck
:D
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Or fit a resistor (available from Maplins etc) inline with the indicators to increase the loading.

Miz.
152/999
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

If you fit a resistor inline, you increase resistance, lower current & make it worse! The resistor has to be fitted in parallel, drawing extra current through the unit.
As to resistance value......
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
Miz
On the Road

Resistor mod.

Post by Miz »

Maybe.. but as far as I know, LED Indicators are low wattage, so the relay believes that there is a blown bulb on the system, so you need to increase the load on the circuit, so you need to add a resistor in series with the indicator.

Below is copied from a site selling LED Indicators..

"ALSO INCLUDED with EVERY pair of LED PEAK indicators is a pair of in-line resistors to ensure your new LED PEAK indicators flash at the correct rate! This negates the need for a new electronic relay, which can be very expensive and fiddly to fit."

Miz.
152/999
Gavin
On the Road

Post by Gavin »

I changed my indicators a while back and they also did very similar, I would get two or three blinks then nothing.

Turned out that when I was sent the new indicators the bulbs they sent with them were of a different wattage, Higher I think. As soon as I put the correct wattage bulbs in everything was fine.

Gavin
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

just to let you all know, i put a led relay on (cost £15.00) and they work fine now. :D
993ti
On the Road

Post by 993ti »

Fitted my LED indicators today and they came with resistors.
Seems like they're flashing a bit slower now but look better then the standard ones.
Pic (sorry for the quality, took the pic with my cellphone).
2003 Raptor 1000
Don't steal, the government doesn't like competition.
twistedpr
On the Road

Post by twistedpr »

I too hate the standard indicators - replacing the standard covers with clear ones (emoto) helped a bit, but it still wasn't enough. So I fitted a pair of diamond LEDs on the rear and had the same flashing once problem. A pair of inline resistors sorted the problem fine.

Then treated myself to some wing mirrors with LED undicators built into the back of them for the front. These really upset the whole system and even the inline resistors weren't enough. In sheer desperation I stuck a second set of inline resistors on the front, and bingo, problem solved! :P

Mind you, considering the time and hassle this caused, the so called "cheaper" resistor option ended up costing me about the same as a full on relay. :?

Interesting point about what the resistors actually do to the voltage requirements. With 3 pairs fitted, that might explain why I have to keep it plugged in to the Optimate to be sure that she'll start (unless the rappy batteries are notoriously bad?) Guess it didn't help leaving the ignition swithced on all night once :oops: - battery's never been the same since.
Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul.
------ X-Rap 188/999 ------
Confitures
On the Road

Post by Confitures »

stevepratt48 wrote:If you fit a resistor inline, you increase resistance, lower current & make it worse! The resistor has to be fitted in parallel, drawing extra current through the unit.
As to resistance value......
Correct they do have to be fitted in parallel, because LEDs do not have a fillament your indicator line becomes an open circuit so you need to put the resistor in parallel to make the indicator controller function correctly. Also LEDs are directional, so will only work when fitted in the right direction.

Before with LEDs on the front and bulb versions on the back they worked, but with LEDs front and back they didn't. I have just tried a 2.2 and a 1.5 ohm resistors and they still didn't work properly. If I put the rear bulb indicator back in parallel across one of the LED ones and they worked.

Tomorrow I will try a 1.2 ohm resistor that the shop has in stock to see if that works, the existing indicator measure 1.0 ohm so we are getting somewhere closer. Will reveal all once I have tried it out. :idea:
JLittler
On the Road

Post by JLittler »

Just buy a blinker relay suitable for use with LED indicators. Should be available from any aftermarket auto parts & accessories shop (or they are here in OZ - hell you can buy them at the local supermarket I'm told). No need for the resistors then.
X-Raptor #202. PCII, CF Bellypan,blinker pods and front guard, Staintunes and a Ti Clevis pin because saving 15grams REALLY IS worth an extra 20 quid :-)