The rusty work hoss.

Somewhere for you to post your piccies of you and your bikes
andybaggies
On the Road

Re: The rusty work hoss.

Post by andybaggies »

Had a good idea when I woke up this morning... just use a threaded stud. Araldite/JB weld it into the head and use a brass nut to tighten the clamp.

But it seems you beat me to the bodge!
Last edited by andybaggies on |June 15th, 2020|, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Good plan! I put studs into rather loose threads in the exhaust ports of my Suzuki GT550 rather than subject what remained to the scouring action of a bolt being wound in.

Nick
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

That's a good shout that to be fair andy it sounds better than what I've done, but what I've done isn't blowing it just looks crap.

Excuse the flip flops and socks.
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Craigfell wrote: 3 years ago That's a good shout that to be fair andy it sounds better than what I've done, but what I've done isn't blowing it just looks crap.

Excuse the flip flops and socks.
And is that a Covid haircut or just your usual style? :lol:

Love the comment at the end, presumably from your beloved: "Why is it so loud?" :D

Nice to put a cheery face to a contributor!

Nick
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

That's a good shout that to be fair andy it sounds better than what I've done, but what I've done isn't blowing it just looks crap.
Dunno, why I didn't think it before cus that's what I did the first time I removed the exhaust. So much better insurance against seized bolts as well. And as for bodges, if they work then its all good to me.

My hammerited footpeg hangers look lovely to me... :nod:

"Why's it so loud" :lol:
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

And is that a Covid haircut or just your usual style? :lol:

Nick
Purely Covid, i usually have long ish hair, but i get it cut 3 monthly and that happened to be bang on when it all closed.

I'm still Keen on trying the stud method andy, i just dont think the threads gonna hold, plus at this moment in time im praying i had a bike lift.. lying on the floor is getting on my Titties.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

I'm still Keen on trying the stud method andy, i just dont think the threads gonna hold
One thing in your favour mind is that you don't need to torque the thing right up. With the studs I smeared the port with good old exhaust gunge and used spring washers behind the (brass) nuts. Tightened it up to flatten the spring washer with just a little touch more and we're sorted. You can easily get the studs/nuts from ebay - don't ask me what size though :?
had a bike lift.. lying on the floor is getting on my Titties
Well that's where you're going wrong... you're facing the wrong way round :lol: But tell me about it... in the winter it's not too bad cus you can wear three bulky layers but with in the heat with just a T shirt.... I use old bath towels as 'bedding'.

I also reckon I'm suffering with 'garage knee' - hard crusty white skin on me knee similar to what you get on your heel.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Minor thread hijack with photo of the duke.... he's coming along now with the electrics rewired & all working, carbs & filters fitted and temporary 1 litre garage fuel tank bought. Just need to decide on what oil to use... :? & he'll be ready to fire up.

duke.jpg
duke.jpg (180.86 KiB) Viewed 14622 times
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

andybaggies wrote: 3 years ago Minor thread hijack with photo of the duke.... he's coming along now with the electrics rewired & all working, carbs & filters fitted and temporary 1 litre garage fuel tank bought. Just need to decide on what oil to use... :? & he'll be ready to fire up.
Excellent! I thought I'd be way ahead of you with getting my Suzuki GT550 on the road but I'm still working on the oil delivery system, which is rather critical on a two-stroke!

One small tip for you re the Ducati: I think it'll need a chain too! :lol:

Nick
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Andy:

Please tell me that orange thing up front isn't a steering damper? With Ducatis of that generation, it's a big problem to get them to do anything other than steer straight ahead! :nod:

Sorry Craig; you were telling us about your Raptor? :wink:

Nick
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

:lol: :lol:

I don't mind! I'm Jealous, your projects look & sound much more involved than the Rap, i'm just throwing it back together & hoping for the best.

Nick, i know nothing about 2 strokes but when i was younger i was always under the impression it was better to run a pre mix, is that a load of ol' tosh? Or ok in MX bikes?
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Craigfell wrote: 3 years ago :lol: :lol:
Nick, i know nothing about 2 strokes but when i was younger i was always under the impression it was better to run a pre mix, is that a load of ol' tosh? Or ok in MX bikes?
Premix for 2T bikes? Maybe for competition but it's generally been oil injection for a very long time, starting with the Japanese brands. I'm not sure when that started, but my Suzuki is 1975 and it was well before that. One of the problems with pre-mix was that too much oil made the fuel more viscous and that didn't flow through the carb jets so quickly, leading to a weak mixture and seizure despite the oil. Straight fuel is obviously better for carburation, but the pump and delivery have to be pretty accurate. Fortunately, we have synthetic oil these days and that produces much less smoke, but anyone following a 2T will always know, if their sense of smell is good! :ride: :angry:

Nick
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

My first bike had a measuring flask as part of the fuel cap, one capful of oil per half gallon of petrol if i remember right?! And yes I am old! :focus: :focus:
Twisted Tequila Sister
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

I may or may not have gone a little off topic myself.. Got this back yesterday.
Cheap GSXR 6, no mot since may 2019.

Not sure what i'm going to do with it, supposed to be getting the windows on the house done but this came out of that budget, so tensions are high. I wanted a sports bike for my birthday and i got it cheap cheap. (that's not until january so it's hard to justify, to someone :blink: )

The plan should be, put the GSXR at the back of the garage, finish the RAP & Flog the bandit. Use the Rap for work and start the GSXR.

Blah :ride: :ride: :ride: :ride:
Last edited by Craigfell on |June 27th, 2020|, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

You mad fool!! :happyhappy:

Better watch out that your sensitive other-half doesn't apply sanctions! :nod:

Nick