The rusty work hoss.

Somewhere for you to post your piccies of you and your bikes
nickst4
On the Road

Re: The rusty work hoss.

Post by nickst4 »

Shudders at the mayhem.... :o

One thing surprises me: how come you can post so many good pics in one go? I thought the attachments were limited to three, maximum of 250kb each, per post?

Nick
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

I use Imgur to host the image so it doesn't use the site 'memory' it uses imgurs instead.

Same way photobucket used to work, but they banned image hosting & started charging for it.

I imagine imgur will likely go the same way one day or put a limit on the photo's you can host.
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

Shockers in, took some fettling but it's in.

I can get the linkage on, but I have to use the hoist to get the holes to align.

But the bloody bearings under the swingarm where the linkage goes, I've fitted new today and they're just not playing ball.. I got one very shiney nice steel pin out of the rusty bits I took off, i can't just slide it in gentley nicey nicey like the others I'm abit stumped.. I pressed them in with a bit of threaded bar each side at a time took me well over an hour i kept checking how far I'd got!

:?
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

Least I'll get a good night's kip tonight.
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Wow, last we-all knew it only had one wheel...

Well done! :thumbsup:

Nick
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Excellent news! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Twisted Tequila Sister
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Fantastic!! :ride: Hats been thrown in the air, hurrah. :D

You've done some fine work there in pretty short order. I've been on some of the same path as you but no where as rusty :shock:

Snapped a front fork/axle pinch bolt, got confused with the shield cap on the lower steering head bearing, and had really wobbly moments when supporting the bike from underneath. I formed a thick piece of mdf to snugly fit the sump, sat it on another longer stout piece of wood that was supported on either side and added a couple of ratchet straps from the frame to the garage roof. And it was still wobbly.
knocked the swingarm bearings out from underneath
Could you add a little more info on how you did this? And did you have any trouble lining up the lower (frame) dog bone mounting points with the upper (swingarm) mounting points? i.e. the lateral swingarm positioning.

Nice to see another old girl back on the road.

Andy B
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

All I did Andy was measure the peice of link bar I had, and added spacers to the current one to make it the same width & stop it sliding around on the steel pins.

The swingarm bearings that sit underneath, theyre not right and I've no idea why.. I've got them to a point where they are usable and it does pivot on those bearings but it's snatching & I cannot fathem it out, that's how it past the MOT, because I didn't want to pay for a retest.

Been back under it tonight.

Nick, do you know how close the bearings under the swingarm sit? Is it flush and bang central?

I also need to go back through the bike & add copper slip to the front & rear axle & various bolts.

Payday cannot come quick enough.
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

I didn't have to disturb the bearings beneath the swingarm as, surprisingly, they were fine and just needed a recharge of grease. From the side I saw them, the OS, the seals and bearings appeared flush with the bore. I just presumed that all the bearings and the shock were inline and clamped squarely between the plates. Do you think this is not so?

Nick
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

No the linkage is fine, i spent a long time lying under it while people pushed down on it to make sure nothing was binding.

The problem with the bearings is, i cannot slide the steel pin in easily i have to whack it in which is wrong, but when it's in i can compress the suspension & see the pin oscillate.

Maybe the bearings are wrong :? HK1616 is what i took to the shop, i'll have to get some more anyway because i'll be belting them out next weekend & trying again.
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

andybaggies wrote: 4 years ago
knocked the swingarm bearings out from underneath
Could you add a little more info on how you did this? And did you have any trouble lining up the lower (frame) dog bone mounting points with the upper (swingarm) mounting points? i.e. the lateral swingarm positioning.

Nice to see another old girl back on the road.

Andy B
I'll be looking for a replacement suspension link come payday, i'm not particulally happy with the setup at the minute although it works ok. Knocked them out with a drift & old 16mm socket i think.
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

When i bought the bike he gave me a box of bits.. including this.

The thin black lines are where i tie wrapped it, the holes were already there so i imagine that's how it went on, with the bolt that goes through the chain guard (it covers nicely)
I was going to tap the swing arm, but then i couldn't see the point.

Gave me something to do, i also noticed my chain shit flicker guard was only held on by one bolt so sorted that.. the hugger should provide the shock & linkage a little extra protection. :photo:
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Yep... huggers definitely help & I see the original mud flap is missing from yours. It was attached to the plastic cross piece, seen in your second photo, just above the swingarm brace and hung down between it and the rear wheel.

A skidmark hugger was one of the first things I added when I knew I was going to commute on him. I also fitted a >07 Ducati monster Red Fox fender extended which keeps most of the front end muck at bay. Just what is it about farty front mudguards that manufacturers like so much - aaarrrgghhh :angry:

Btw in the third photo it looks like the hugger is twisted and needs the chain guard removed for it to be fitted directly to the swingarm :?

Andy B
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Andy:

I totally agree about front mudguards on modern bikes. Most barely get past one o'clock on the front wheel! I guess they are regulation-dodgers, and a decent 'guard is just uncool. :roll:

Red Fox: not heard of that brand...

Nick
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

That's the rear, front was on 20.

Probably should sharpen up my 'maintainence' checks.