The Bat Bike

Somewhere for you to post your piccies of you and your bikes
JimBo
On the Road

Re: The Bat Bike

Post by JimBo »

Horny675 wrote:55 years agoAny ideas why this was the case?
Try this article. I think it sums up pretty well why such a great motorcycle wasn't a popular success.

Oooo... I'm really starting to get back into this Raptor thing :ride: .

I think The Predator looks the coolest by the way.
So many motorcycles, so little money!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Brilliant link that JimBo :thumbsup: says it all

and I like them both batman and robin 8)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Horny675
On the Road

Post by Horny675 »

Various theories exist as to why the bike wasn't popular.

My theory is that it was too expensive new and an unknown quantity compared to the SV1000. The looks were also probably more radical for most and the spares a problem.

Like most of you, I probably came upon the Raptor by accident when a mate bought one and I tried it out. I was very impressed with the low seat height because I am a midget! Plus the brilliant engine and slick gearbox. I had tried many Monsters, but most lacked power except for the S4RS.

Some of the styling is a bit weird, particularly the tank horns on the Xtra and those massive pipes, but these are easily changed.

Compared with the Ducati, servicing is a lot easier, mainly because it does not use rubber bands to operate the cams.

Anyway, I now love having an individual bike!

Most spares I have needed are generic (levers, indicators, etc) and most spares are still available on line.

Batman
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

I saw one(v rap) and an mv brand new in a dealer when i was younger and was smitten but in no way could afford one. Then many years later saw a second nhand one for sale in mcn and bought it and never looked back probably the most fun bike ive ever had(that torque is awesome) just have to watch that driving licence. :revrev:
Bit of a Muppet
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Horny675 wrote:55 years agoVarious theories exist as to why the bike wasn't popular.

My theory is that it was too expensive new and an unknown quantity compared to the SV1000. The looks were also probably more radical for most and the spares a problem.

Some of the styling is a bit weird, particularly the tank horns on the Xtra and those massive pipes, but these are easily changed.

Batman
It would have been difficult to compare the Raptor and the SV1000 as the SV was introduced 3 years after the Raptor.

The "tank horns" are fitted to the V-Raptor as well as the Xtra, most people who have seen Raptors will have seen Normale's and V's as the Xtra's are even thinner on the ground :)
152/999
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

I have always thought that if Suzuki had made it they would have sold millions... Cagiva / MV too niche a manufaturer with all of the percieved "Italian exotica" issues. But if Suzuki had made it , it wouldnt have been the same bike (the accountants would have got involved).

I saw one at the london bike show (whilst I was on crutches prior to hip replacements) I dont know what it was about it but I decided that I "needed" one. A couple of years later it all came together.. new hips and a Raptor on a tour of the Pyrenees! :woot:
Twisted Tequila Sister
pmogs
On the Road

Post by pmogs »

Various theories exist as to why the bike wasn't popular.

Like most of you, I probably came upon the Raptor by accident when a mate bought one and I tried it out. I was very impressed with the low seat height because I am a midget! Plus the brilliant engine and slick gearbox. I had tried many Monsters, but most lacked power except for the S4RS.

Compared with the Ducati, servicing is a lot easier, mainly because it does not use rubber bands to operate the cams.

Most spares I have needed are generic (levers, indicators, etc) and most spares are still available on line.

Batman

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I totally agree with your view's on the V Raptor / Xtra Raptor ...

That's why my preference was a naked Raptor ...

Also picked the Raptor over a Ducati for it's cheap servicing ...

Also , got to say that i'm Ducati through & through , owning quite a few models !!!!!!!
Horny675
On the Road

Post by Horny675 »

Yeah, I like Ducatis too!

I have a 1997 916SPS.

Bloody uncomfortable bike and has rubber bands to drive the cams that need regular changing whether the bikes used or not, but looks cool.

I bought it to put on the wall on the lounge of our new house, but the wife, (bat woman) objected.

She suggested making it into a coffee table, but its not really the right shape!

So it stays in the garage with the Cagivas.

Interesting fact 1: The 916 was developped when Ducati was under Cagiva ownership.

Interesting fact 2: The new Dark Knight movie is out in July.

Batman
Nelis

Post by Nelis »

My ride's a matte black V-Rap. Did you know of this; http://udreplicas.com/index.php?option= ... icle&id=11 ? I want one...
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Nelis wrote:55 years agoMy ride's a matte black V-Rap. Did you know of this; http://udreplicas.com/index.php?option= ... icle&id=11 ? I want one...
:lol: yes I've seen that advert before, very strange disney bike gear, I wonder if they do a 'tinkerbelle' one ? :suspect:

welcome in Nelis
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

pmogs wrote:55 years agoVarious theories exist as to why the bike wasn't popular.

+1
I will never forget seeing one new with a pricetag of $19k :shock: ,i wonder if that had something to do with low sales :nod:
thats about the time i got my first tl for just under $7k, an amazing bike for 1/3 the cost of a x raptor. My x raptor is just getting better and better, now for some tuning mods(tlr belmouths) finish my air scoops to the side and a dyno! :revrev:
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

JimBo wrote:55 years ago
Horny675 wrote:55 years agoAny ideas why this was the case?
Try this article. I think it sums up pretty well why such a great motorcycle wasn't a popular success.

Oooo... I'm really starting to get back into this Raptor thing :ride: .

I think The Predator looks the coolest by the way.
Thats a good read , i hadn't seen that article before, it says that the suzuki tl1000 motor internals,cams,pistons ,compression ratio remained exactly the same with only airbox and exhaust mods to detune it in the raptor for more torque

in case you have not seen the article

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/289/1538/ ... -1000.aspx