OIL or 710 for the ladies

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
taz_116
On the Road

OIL or 710 for the ladies

Post by taz_116 »

Sorry ladies :wink:

Can someone reccomend me a decent engine oil to use with the 1000 V Rap. Which oil are people using without knackering up the clutch plates?

Taz
Burn Rubber, Not Your Soul

2001 V-Raptor 1000, K&N Air Filter & TRE
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

I only know about Olive, Sesame or Sunflower, its all I can get from where I am chained to the sink :wink:

(Ill have a look when I get home at the cans in the shed)
taz_116
On the Road

Post by taz_116 »

Someone bit...... :lol:

Cheers Shebee 8)
Burn Rubber, Not Your Soul

2001 V-Raptor 1000, K&N Air Filter & TRE
zebedee
On the Road

oil

Post by zebedee »

Only had mine a matter of a few weeks but the manual (Cagiva book of ies probably) says AGIP TEC 4T 10w40. Now that jsut sounds wrong. Sounds like really old fashioned oil. I will be changing mine next month so if anyone comes up with the right answer for some decent oil I'd be interested too. I spend an absolute fortune on oil for my beemer (£50 a litre) so dont see why the Raptor should go cheap. I ahve found that decent oil is the best thing I can buy for bikes.
shebee
Site Admin

Post by shebee »

craigus
On the Road

Post by craigus »

I have been useing castrol power 1 tri zone 10w-40 never had any probs with it but at £30 for 4 litres you dont expect to .
shebee
Site Admin

Post by shebee »

Putoline Sport 4 - semi synth in mine
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

shebee wrote:55 years agoPutoline Sport 4 - semi synth in mine
Mine too :)

or it could be massage oil - I gets confused
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
shebee
Site Admin

Post by shebee »

Hint .... If its in the garage its massage oil, if its in the kitchen its bike oil, if its in the bathroom its gunk! xxx 8)
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

semi-synth or full synth, it doesn't matter. i think 10W40 is correct, though it doesn't matter that much. As long as there is enough oil in there, and it is not too old, you'll be fine.

i put motul V300 full synth in there for the last 50.000kms, and no complaints. Peace of mind for a bike that gets trashed every day, summer or winter, trackdays, city violence, big trips, etc...
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

nod nod 10W40, I've always used semi-synth (Putoline)
but I agree with Wreckah - it's fresh oil (and filter) changes that do the trick and keep the engine running sweet.
susuki recomended change oil every 2,500 miles (which I think is about 4000km)
Up to about 3500m after a Lancashire/Yorkshire dales holiday is about the longest I've left it in (needed new tyres as well after that :oops: )
SnappY
puiu santinela

Re: OIL or 710 for the ladies

Post by puiu santinela »

What I don't understand is why in the Maintenance Manual for the Xtra Raptor the recomended Oil is Agip Racing 4T 5W40 which is a fully Syntehtic oil and on the Oilfiller Cap of the bike there is written 10W40. The same engine is used for all Raptor 1000, Navigator, Suzuki TL1000S and R.
Suzuki recomends 10W40 for both TL1000S and R, only Cagiva for this particular moddel is recomending 5W40.
Isn't it strange?
I put now Motul 5W40 ( 7100 ) fully Synthetic oil in and I'm not sure I did the right thing. I swiched only because I read the manual. I preowned a standard Raptor 1000 and there was the semi-synthetic 10W40 from Motul ( 5100 ) allways ok. Bike is like new, has only 4800 km done, so oil pump and internals are optimal.Iit would be a pitty to damage them by using the wrong ( and more expensive ) oil.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I've always used a 10W40 Semi Synthetic in the V Raptor, I've never had an Xtra but I did think they were all but the same engine so I'd use the same oil. It seems odd that the manual should suggest a different weight. :?
SnappY
puiu santinela

Post by puiu santinela »

What I figured out in the meantime is that this bike beeing a 2005 model year, maybee Cagiva in the meantime did analyse the available Oils on the market and decided that they are more suitable for this engine improoving the cold start frictions by using a 5W oil. So in this case the viscosity and properties at high temperature remain the same, only the cold start is easyer, better for the engine and the damages causing cold starts are beeing reduced in this way.
What concerns me is that the oil, beeing 100% synthetic it is allso thiner and in this way maybee not suitable fort this older engine. There are sure somke benefits from beeing syntehtic ( more stable, filb reaks harder, better fuel eficency, engine should be running easyer, gearbox allso...). Beeing written in the manual kind of gives me the confidence the engineers did make some research and it's in this way the better solution. Normally I shouldn't think about it because the manual should allways give you optimal indications.
But after using the new oil it seems to me that the gearbox is not so smooth in changing gears ( I presume the klutch is sticking more than usually ), and the engine is more noisy than before ( thicking when warm more then before ).
I'm not 100% sure because it could allso be only my imagination playing now with me because I doubt now the oil. But normally this things are not imaginary so I will change the oil with the semisinthetic and see what happens. I will collect the 5w oil safely and if only imaginary then I will put it back again and the 10W I will put in my Pegaso which is now kind of ready for an oil change hawing some 4000 km on the old one.
Anakist
On the Road

Post by Anakist »

puiu santinela wrote: 5 years agoWhat concerns me is that the oil, beeing 100% synthetic it is allso thiner and in this way maybee not suitable fort this older engine.
That is untrue. Oil is graded by viscosity, a 30w oil is 30w oil, doesn't matter if it is mineral or synthetic or other.

The difference with switching to synthetics is they have a much better detergent package so if you had small oil weeps that were plugged up with dried dinosaur juice, running a fully synthetic oil will clean away the deposits and the oil will weep out again.

I always run a quality fully synthetic esther based oil. One, they are not dinosaur juice and so are a renewable resource. Two, they are much better products overall. I tend to keep my toys for ages so I like to look after them.

James